Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Panel discussion on MLB Now about the central. Byrnes and Smoltz both pick the Reds.
    Gotta love the national attention they’re getting now.

2. Likes:

DocRed (01-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Why would you trade him? He becomes the 5th infielder on days Senzel plays the infield.
    I think we are too far apart to come to a middle ground here, so we should probably just agree to disagree

1. I think carrying 6 OFers is a total waste unless 2 or 3 play infield. 1 of those 6 plays infield
    2. I see Jankowski as a AAAA guy, at best
    3. I see Lorenzen as a late inning OF replacement, you don't think he should see the field

He still bangs

Feels like 2013. Feels like they’re still one piece shy.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (01-09-2020),Kilgore_Trout (01-09-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-09-2020),REDREAD (01-09-2020),Rojo Rijo (01-09-2020),wolfboy (01-09-2020)

I don’t think Jankowski makes the team if Senzel is going to Cincinnati as an OF.

They are keeping him around in case of a Senzel trade, or if for some reason they intend to let Senzel play SS again.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-09-2020),Griffey012 (01-09-2020),MoneyInTheBank (01-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    I can live with the offensive potential, at least, at this point. I can't say the same for the pitching, which I think still needs at least a couple of upgrades (not really sure if that's a consensus anywhere or not).

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

They are keeping him around in case of a Senzel trade, or if for some reason they intend to let Senzel play SS again.
    I wonder which one of those two is more likely.

IMO, they need two more quality bullpen arms to be a clear contender.
    As is, they might slip into the wildcard. Just a marginal contender if they return the same gas cans from last year and just add the AAAA guys in house.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

HokieRed (01-09-2020),Tracy Jones (01-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I like Farmer but he is really just an OK utility player and there are a lot of players that could play SS in a pinch. His real value is as a 3rd catcher.
    Farmer did OPS .822 against LHP too. He's got some value there.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Why would you trade him? He becomes the 5th infielder on days Senzel plays the infield.
    I'd jettison him after the Shogo aquisition. Jankowski is pretty much Billy Hamilton with the bat. We don't need a 5th outfielder on days Senzel plays the infield. If push comes to shove you use Lorenzen or move Senzel back to the outfield and someone else to the infield position.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wonder which one of those two is more likely.
    I think the Senzel to SS idea is a non issue. They abandoned the plan too quickly .

Now what is interesting is that it seems India was given a longer look at SS than Senzel was. For all the hype that was heard about Senzel switching positions to SS, Senzel got exactly 1 game at SS in Louisville during the 2018 season. That was it. India, that same season, got in to 15 games as a SS, and actually started 8 games. In fact, from what I have read, the experiment with India was stopped - not because he was so horrible at SS - but because he was taking playing time away from Miguel Hernandez, a natural SS, who was having a great year, both offensively and defensively. And when they moved India to Dayton, he was taking SS time away from Garcia and Downs.

Obviously, if India (or Senzel) would have shown any aptitude for playing extremely good SS, they would have certainly found playing time for those guys. But I do think that India didn't totally embarrass himself playing SS.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

16. Likes:

REDREAD (01-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Panel discussion on MLB Now about the central. Byrnes and Smoltz both pick the Reds.
    Gotta love the national attention they’re getting now.
    Vasgersian picked the Reds also on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Vasgersian picked the Reds also on his show.
    I kinda don’t like it. I’d rather they fly under the radar a bit. Expectations = pressure, and this team hasn’t had an ounce of pressure in years now. How they’ll handle it is unknown. They might handle it great, and they might not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I kinda don’t like it. I’d rather they fly under the radar a bit. Expectations = pressure, and this team hasn’t had an ounce of pressure in years now. How they’ll handle it is unknown. They might handle it great, and they might not.
    Rather they have the pressure all season than not have it and collapse under it if they make the post season.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

They just better hope this team competes. They've done enough to look great if the team does compete seeing as how they didn't spend a ton of money or move prospects in any trades.

If this team doesn't compete and struggles it's going to look like they didn't do what their words insinuated they would do, spend the money necessary to contend.

Right now the starting pitching is the only thing that can be counted on. Everything else is dependent upon improvement and above average performances.

I'm very optimistic, I think Shogo will look like a great get, I hope Votto will be better, I hope Senzel takes a big step etc. but it's not hard to worry about things not going well and looking back saying they should've gotten another big bat. A big reason I want/ed Castellanos is I feel like he's the one guy the Reds could get that would provide a significant lineup boost. I don't see that in Puig or Ozuna. Not that they aren't capable just that they don't appear nearly as dependable as Castellanos.

If I had to guess I'd say they are still on the hunt but the likelihood anything else significant happens isn't very high.

21. Likes:

757690 (01-09-2020),REDREAD (01-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Rather they have the pressure all season than not have it and collapse under it if they make the post season.
    At this point? I’d rather they just play meaningful baseball late in the season and into October.

Turn Off Ads?