Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think there are 15 teams that would love to have Winker on their roster.
    which ones, and what are they offering? I admit, Winker is just not my guy, and I may be little unfair towards him. I just have this image of him playing video games and eating junk food about 16 hours a day. Dude is so uncoordinated and looks like he has never seen the inside of a gym...even his forearms are very skinny for a 26 year old athlete. I have always had reservations about his work ethic and I think the absence of strength and conditioning is why his body is always breaking down at his age. I just have doubts he ever sniffs the potential so many Reds fans seem to see in him. Now that we have added Moustakas....him and Winker on the base paths in the top of the lineup would seem like a poor formula.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I've been silently wondering why Redszone wants Cast so much as he is only suited for DH.
    He didn’t DH for the Cubs last year when his OPS was 1.002 and I don’t remember hearing anything about his defense being a problem. So yeah, I’m wondering why people keep using his supposedly team killing defensive liabilities to justify not wanting him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes:

HammerTime (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    which ones, and what are they offering? I admit, Winker is just not my guy, and I may be little unfair towards him. I just have this image of him playing video games and eating junk food about 16 hours a day. Dude is so uncoordinated and looks like he has never seen the inside of a gym...even his forearms are very skinny for a 26 year old athlete. I have always had reservations about his work ethic and I think the absence of strength and conditioning is why his body is always breaking down at his age. I just have doubts he ever sniffs the potential so many Reds fans seem to see in him. Now that we have added Moustakas....him and Winker on the base paths in the top of the lineup would seem like a poor formula.
    The teams in the AL.

As for the rest of this, that’s nonsense.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (12-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Now that we have added Moustakas....him and Winker on the base paths in the top of the lineup would seem like a poor formula.

Dusty, is that you?

8. Likes:

LexRedsFan (12-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If there's one idea I wish RedsZoners could let go of, it's that there is a great divide between the starting 8 and the bench. Building that side of the roster means understanding that it's not 8 solid players and 5 bushers. Everyone is involved, so you want as many good to great players as possible, even if they aren't full time starters.
    if they are good to great, I hope they are full time starters. Right now the Reds have three position players I'd classify as good. The rest are below average or question marks.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-14-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think there are 15 teams that would love to have Winker on their roster.
    I have no doubt that there are 15 that would like to steal him. I'm not convinced that there are any that would offer anything that would be an improvement. Package Ervin with India and maybe Santillan for something useful. Keep Winker, Senzel and Aquino and whoever they sign to bring some certainty to the OF mix.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

that’s nonsense.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I have no doubt that there are 15 that would like to steal him. I'm not convinced that there are any that would offer anything that would be an improvement. Package Ervin with India and maybe Santillan for something useful. Keep Winker, Senzel and Aquino and whoever they sign to bring some certainty to the OF mix.
    I think the reds could at the absolute minimum get a solid back end of the bullpen piece for Winker. Dude has a career .370 OBP, is still young, controlled at a cheap rate for years to come, and has improving power.

He is a poor defender, but AL teams could play him at DH half of the time.

I think teams like the Royals, Tigers, Rays, White Sox, Twins, etc would def like Winker on their team.

I think you are significantly undervaluing Winker, especially to AL teams.

Winker’s biggest issue is he was drafted by a team in the inferior league that is still playing 1920s baseball for some unknown reason.

I think the reds could at the absolute minimum get a solid back end of the bullpen piece for Winker. Dude has a career .370 OBP, is still young, controlled at a cheap rate for years to come, and has improving power.

He is a poor defender, but AL teams could play him at DH half of the time.

I think teams like the Royals, Tigers, Rays, White Sox, Twins, etc would def like Winker on their team.

I think you are significantly undervaluing Winker, especially to AL teams.

Winker’s biggest issue is he was drafted by a team in the inferior league that is still playing 1920s baseball for some unknown reason.
    The Reds need offense. Even with Moustakas on board, I think the situation is pretty desperate. Winker is one of three guys on the roster who has a track record that says he's likely to be above average offensively in 2020. No way I'd deal him for a bullpen arm. If you think that's his value, I'm valuing him correctly and it would be a huge mistake to deal him for that. If I couldn't get an upgrade at SS or behind the plate with multiple years of control, I'd keep him. If they have to package somebody like India or Santillan with him, they can probably get the bullpen arm without putting Winker in the deal.

14. Likes:

HammerTime (12-17-2019)

The Reds need offense. Even with Moustakas on board, I think the situation is pretty desperate. Winker is one of three guys on the roster who has a track record that says he's likely to be above average offensively in 2020. No way I'd deal him for a bullpen arm. If you think that's his value, I'm valuing him correctly and it would be a huge mistake to deal him for that. If I couldn't get an upgrade at SS or behind the plate with multiple years of control, I'd keep him. If they have to package somebody like India or Santillan with him, they can probably get the bullpen arm without putting Winker in the deal.
    Well obviously this is dependent on the Reds adding more offense. Specifically Cast and a better C or SS.

The reds bullpen was really bad the back half the year and I am referring to a good bullpen guy, not just anyone.

I think the bullpen, as is, is being ignored by fans and people should wake up and realize it’s bad.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I couldn’t find anything specifically talking about a demand, but other than declining a move to first base a few seasons ago, this article makes him sound fairly willing to move positions:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/1835184001
    Well, that runs contrary to what I had heard from friends who live in the Detroit area. If I have misled anyone, then I apologize. But I still am not interested in Castellanos.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Well, that runs contrary to what I had heard from friends who live in the Detroit area. If I have misled anyone, then I apologize. But I still am not interested in Castellanos.
    Kinda funny, I have a lot of friends in the detroit area as well who loved Cast.

Well obviously this is dependent on the Reds adding more offense. Specifically Cast and a better C or SS.

The reds bullpen was really bad the back half the year and I am referring to a good bullpen guy, not just anyone.

I think the bullpen, as is, is being ignored by fans and people should wake up and realize it’s bad.
    I think the line-up needs six above average offensive players to realistically compete with the top teams. They have Suarez, Moustakas and Winker. That makes three. They have three possibilities in Votto, Senzel and Aquino, but as is all three need to come through which I think is highly unlikely. Add a bat to push one of them to the bench and it increases the chances by quite a bit. Subtracting Wnker instead of one of the question marks doesn't really change the picture much. Nobody else on the team is anywhere close to being average offensively.

Honeslty, the Reds could improve the situation quite a bit by signing Robinson Chirinos. He's likely a slightly above average OPS+ of around 105. That's a significant improvement over the likely 90 or so we'd expect from Barnhart. Figure a 15% improvement or so by signing Chirinos and dumping Barnhart and the money would hardly noticeable if they dump Barnhart's salary. To get a similar upgrade to Winker, they would need to add a guy with an OPS+ in the 130 range. That's adding another Suarez.

Signing anyone to move Winker just doesn't address this team's problem all that much IMO. They need bullpen too, but dealing one of the few true offensive players to get it is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-14-2019)

I feel like Winker/Ervin combo was our best outfielder last year. They both have problems, but together, in a platoon situation, they're better than MLB average by quite a bit. I'm okay with trading either, but not just because. I think the Winker/Ervin combo is far undervalued.

22. Likes:

757690 (12-14-2019),dfs (12-15-2019),GullyFoyle (12-14-2019),mace (12-14-2019),mth123 (12-14-2019),Old school 1983 (12-14-2019),PTjvs (12-15-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-19-2019),Revering4Blue (12-14-2019),Ron Madden (12-14-2019)

I think the line-up needs six above average offensive players to realistically compete with the top teams. They have Suarez, Moustakas and Winker. That makes three. They have three possibilities in Votto, Senzel and Aquino, but as is all three need to come through which I think is highly unlikely. Add a bat to push one of them to the bench and it increases the chances by quite a bit. Subtracting Wnker instead of one of the question marks doesn't really change the picture much. Nobody else on the team is anywhere close to being average offensively.

Honeslty, the Reds could improve the situation quite a bit by signing Robinson Chirinos. He's likely a slightly above average OPS+ of around 105. That's a significant improvement over the likely 90 or so we'd expect from Barnhart. Figure a 15% improvement or so by signing Chirinos and dumping Barnhart and the money would hardly noticeable if they dump Barnhart's salary. To get a similar upgrade to Winker, they would need to add a guy with an OPS+ in the 130 range. That's adding another Suarez.

Signing anyone to move Winker just doesn't address this team's problem all that much IMO. They need bullpen too, but dealing one of the few true offensive players to get it is robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    To be clear, I’m not advocating moving Winker, I was just saying I think he has more value than some reds fans believe.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-14-2019)

Turn Off Ads?