Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds seem to be going with this notion of adding quantity of talented relievers who need better health or a turnaround.

I have my doubts but hope it works.
    Wouldn’t be surprised to hear us mentioned with Cody Allen depending on how his showing went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Dick Williams said when they club signed Moustakas for $64 million that the team could do another deal of that magnitude. They’ve spent $36 million since.

So who knows what may come. Marcel Ozuna, a free-agent outfielder the Reds targeted, remains unsigned. And the bullpen has not been addressed beyond signing players to minor-league deals.

“But I’m never fully satisfied, so we’ll keep looking,” Williams said. “We still have some resources. I hope we keep improving.”

His boss, Bob Castellini, echoed that: “You can never do enough. We’re trying very hard. We’re going to contend.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ns/4512131002/

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

“But I’m never fully satisfied”
    See, he really IS a Reds fan just like us!
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I saw this morning that the Cards are basically out of payroll space.

I wonder if Ozuna is going to fall into the Reds laps.

7. Likes:

DocRed (01-21-2020),Edd Roush (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    I saw this morning that the Cards are basically out of payroll space.

That still feels like the big domino. If theyÂ’re priced out of Ozuna, I think weÂ’re pretty much looking at the 2020 roster. If they manage to swoop in on him, I think that portends some earthshaking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    I'm guessing they'll sign another OF because there are multiple options out there that should be far more valuable than the contracts they sign.

Whether that's Ozuna, Castellanos, Puig, Souza, or someone else, I do not know.

I also expect them to deal from strength to find a SS. (To be fair, Cincinnati brass may well believe that SS is Brock Holt.)

10. Likes:

REDREAD (01-21-2020)

Well, I hope they make some more moves.
    However, it annoys me that Cast says "I'm never fully satisfied"
    Cast, it seems like you were pretty content to the let the team tank for 5 years.
    That's why I would not care if they trade the entire farm system to be competitive in the short term, because long term, it's going to crash again and there's going to be a tanking period so that the owners can get their dividend payouts.. Tanking with or without Greene and Lodello doesn't matter that much to me..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Reds seem to be going with this notion of adding quantity of talented relievers who need better health or a turnaround.

I have my doubts but hope it works.
    As volatile as relievers are, year-to-year, I would argue that it's a low-cost way to approach it and as viable as spending big on names who may be just a volatile this upcoming year....

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-21-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-21-2020),redsman2007 (01-21-2020),Tadasimha (01-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Cast, it seems like you were pretty content to the let the team tank for 5 years.
    That's why I would not care if they trade the entire farm system to be competitive in the short term, because long term, it's going to crash again and there's going to be a tanking period so that the owners can get their dividend payouts.. Tanking with or without Greene and Lodello doesn't matter that much to me..
    But even if the Reds went all in and won the world series you would be complaining that they made money, nepotism, and an ensuing tanking coming so...
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    But even if the Reds went all in and won the world series you would be complaining that they made money, nepotism, and an ensuing tanking coming so...
    Agreed. Believe me, if the Reds win a World Series, there won’t be a fan anywhere that will be satisfied with a one and done.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't get this. Sure if they were guaranteed they would win a World Series in 2020 if they did X then sign me up. Send out the entire farm. It isn't a guarantee and they could literally make a lot of "go for it all this year" deals and fall flat on their face and have nothing for next year. I am not interested in that at all. I want to believe the Reds have a chance every year. The Cardinals fans are like that. The Oakland A's fans (all 6 of them) are like that. The Rays fans (all 3 of them) are like that. I want the Reds to be competitive every year....playoff talk every year.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

17. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-21-2020),Powder River (01-21-2020),texasdave (01-21-2020)

6 years of being the worst team in baseball, a WS win, and then back to being irrelevant for another 5 or 6 years? I'll pass.

19. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (01-24-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It's been 30 years since the Reds last WS win, and I still enjoy looking back on it. You give me that and I don't care how many years of irrelevancy follow. I'll be a happy fan.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

REDREAD (01-22-2020),Revering4Blue (01-21-2020)

Reds said the payroll would increase. So far, it’s about the same as OD 2019.

I have to think they are trying to get Ozuna on a reasonable deal. And if that happens a Reds outfielder will be traded for a shortstop. Maybe others involved.

If they can’t sign Ozuna they will live with Galvis as starting SS and make some smaller moves.

This seems the most obvious direction of the off-season. Always could be curveballs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-21-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's been 30 years since the Reds last WS win, and I still enjoy looking back on it. You give me that and I don't care how many years of irrelevancy follow. I'll be a happy fan.
    Yea, that’s where I’m at. For example, if The Reds had done what they were capable of and won The World Series in 2012 then this 2014-2019 downturn would have been so much easier on the soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

24. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-21-2020),REDREAD (01-22-2020),Revering4Blue (01-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?