6 10.71%
  • RHSP Lyon Richardson

25 44.64%
  • CF Jose Siri

1 1.79%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect???

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect???

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I'm going Acosta mainly because no one else excites me that much at this stage. Say what you want about the Dominican Rookie League but the kid hit .403 there last year, that's tough at any level. Not only that but he then hit .370 in the Reds Rookie league. Plus his OBP was .503 or 100 points higher than his batting average. His SO/BB ratio is basically 1 which is a very good sign for such a young player. Oh and he can run too, 26 SB's last year and only caught once.
    And his SLG was another 100 points higher than his OB. It's hard to overstate how exceptional his season was. No matter what level he did it at, that takes a boatload of ability.
    Last edited by M2; 12-17-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I'm going Acosta mainly because no one else excites me that much at this stage. Say what you want about the Dominican Rookie League but the kid hit .403 there last year, that's tough at any level. Not only that but he then hit .370 in the Reds Rookie league. Plus his OBP was .503 or 100 points higher than his batting average. His SO/BB ratio is basically 1 which is a very good sign for such a young player. Oh and he can run too, 26 SB's last year and only caught once.
    Striking out in 17% of AB's against rookie level pitching when you are older for that league isn't exactly a good sign. It's not a red flag, but doesn't bode well against tougher pitching. Ibandel Isabel only carried a 22% K rate against DSL competition.

He also had the highest recorded BABIP in DSL history going back to 2006 among those with 180 or more PA's in a season at .491.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And his SLG was another 100 points higher than his OB. It's hard to overstate who exceptional his season was. No matter what level he did it at, that takes a boatload of ability.
    Guys with boatloads of ability don't spend that much time in the DSL, they fly on by it or through it. He very likely has a boatload of ability, just like Malcolm Nunez, Vicente Lupo, Heriberto Hernandez, Brian Sanchez, and Jose Agusto Figuerora just to name a few.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Guys with boatloads of ability don't spend that much time in the DSL, they fly on by it or through it. He very likely has a boatload of ability, just like Malcolm Nunez, Vicente Lupo, Heriberto Hernandez, Brian Sanchez, and Jose Agusto Figuerora just to name a few.
    That would mean a lot more to me if I wasn't looking at the list at the top of this page. However, I am, and it's distinctly unimpressive. So, exceptional season and boatload of talent gets my vote. Beats "... but they paid him money."
    Last edited by M2; 12-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (12-18-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

That would a lot more to me if I wasn't looking at the list at the top of this page. However, I am, and it's distinctly unimpressive. So, exceptional season and boatload of talent gets my vote. Beats "... but they paid him money."
    Dude. Dominican summer league is basically high school all star level. The AZL team faces 90% pitchers who throw straight fastballs and not much else. Acosta is worth watching for the skills you outline. But his success at those levels doesn't shoot him up past many others higher on the food chain. Have patience. If his talent is as it appears, he'll be a top prospect soon enough. And I promise, we'll all remember it was you who brought him to our attention.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-18-2019),Griffey012 (12-18-2019),Kinsm (12-17-2019),OGB (12-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Dude. Dominican summer league is basically high school all star level. The AZL team faces 90% pitchers who throw straight fastballs and not much else. Acosta is worth watching for the skills you outline. But his success at those levels doesn't shoot him up past many others higher on the food chain. Have patience. If his talent is as it appears, he'll be a top prospect soon enough. And I promise, we'll all remember it was you who brought him to our attention.
    I'm looking for ceiling. I don't see anyone with one worth getting all that excited about, nor do I much see anyone who's done anything worth bragging about higher up the food chain. So I'm picking the kid with the crazy good hitting numbers. Don't care if he did it in tee ball. I'll take the chance his bat is for real over a pack of guys who've got as many issues as strengths.

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-19-2019),Fil3232 (12-17-2019)

I understand that TJ Friedl had a slow first three weeks at a new classification. I also undertand that since he missed roughly the last two months of the season he was kind of forgotten. But in the interval between those two events, covering about 200 plate appearances, he put up this line: 371/.457/.828. That looks pretty solid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I understand that TJ Friedl had a slow first three weeks at a new classification. I also undertand that since he missed roughly the last two months of the season he was kind of forgotten. But in the interval between those two events, covering about 200 plate appearances, he put up this line: 371/.457/.828. That looks pretty solid to me.
    That's OBP and Slugging pct. His average was about .250. I like the fact he walks. I'd like it more if it was tacked onto a .290 average.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

texasdave (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Agree with what you said here, and it is the case I have been trying to make. Also, let's consider that nobody has even seen Acosta the person or the player. There is literally nothing out there on him besides a Doug article and some stats.

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-18-2019)

I'm looking for ceiling. I don't see anyone with one worth getting all that excited about, nor do I much see anyone who's done anything worth bragging about higher up the food chain. So I'm picking the kid with the crazy good hitting numbers. Don't care if he did it in tee ball. I'll take the chance his bat is for real over a pack of guys who've got as many issues as strengths.
    What kind of ceiling does he have? My guess is he is a physically mature 19 year old beating up on competition that is beneath him, and probably doesn't have a lofty ceiling. Is he physically mature at 19 or does he have a long-limbed body with project-ability left? Is he actually a speed threat or is he just fast enough to steal against weaker catching? What defensive position does he play? Is he a butcher in the field or does he carry a good glove? I can't find any of these answers myself, so I can't judge Acosta more than an intriguing flyer to watch.

17. Likes:

OGB (12-19-2019),WrongVerb (12-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?