6 10.71%
  • RHSP Lyon Richardson

25 44.64%
  • CF Jose Siri

1 1.79%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect???

CF'er Mike Siani has taken the #8 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 96 HOUR POLL***

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #9 Prospect???

Time for me to start posting some biographies:

(Position) Player Name - Acquisition Notes - Including draft round and draft year. ($bonus - school (home state)). And most recent stat line.
    (2B) Jose Acosta - The Reds signed Acosta as an International Free Agent in July 2017 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). This past season as a 19 year old, the switch hitting Acosta slashed .395 - .481 - .579 in 43 DSL games and an additional 10 AZL games. That stat line is a complete reversal of his 2018 DSL output: .199 - .321 - .284. He's yet to face true American pitching as most of the players in the AZL are now International signees brought stateside and defensively speaking he's put up some ugly numbers at thirdbase. It appears the Reds are going to try him at secondbase fulltime next season, which might fit best with his tweener physique.

(2B) Tyler Callihan - The Reds 3rd round draft selection in 2019 ($1.50M bonus - HS (FL)). This past season as a 19 year old the left handed hitter slashed .263 - .298 - .442 in 57 RK games. There's some swing and miss in his profile, but he has shown plus power. His defense at secondbase is a work in progress; though he has shown decent footwork, he lacks foot speed which could lead too a lack of range requiring a fulltime move to 3B or possibly the outfield.

(RHSP) Jose De Leon - The Dodgers 24th round draft selection in 2013 ($0.04M bonus - (JR) Southern University (Puerto Rico)). De Leon is only a few days shy of amassing 2 years of big league service time, but he still qualifies for these rankings because nearly all of that time was spent on the DL recovering from TJS. Jose had a 2W-1L record with a 3.54 ERA in 56 IP during the 2019 season as a 26 year old at the AAA level (in addition to a small cup of coffee in the bigs). Baseball America ranked him as a top 30 prospect in the minors after his excellent 2015 and 2016 seasons but he missed most of the 2017 season due to injury and finally underwent surgery for a turn UCL in his right elbow in March of 2018. The Reds might be best suited converting him to the bullpen, though he still has one option remaining so he could be stashed in the AAA rotation early on.

(OF) T.J. Friedl - The Reds signed Friedl as a Non-Drafted Free Agent in August 2016 ($0.73M bonus & a $0.45M overage fee - (RS-SO) University of Nevada (CA)). As as 23 year old, Friedl managed to hit .235 - .347 - .385 in 65 games at the AA level in 2019. He struggled with a right shoulder injury and tendinitis in his right ankle. Friedl's lean frame and linedrive approach probably won't allow for much more in-game power but his plus speed and keen eye at the plate still flash potential starter in the bigs. Though he came into the system as a centerfielder, due to Siri and Fairchild being ahead of him on the depth charts it appears that he will be playing primarily in the corners from here on out. Friedl went unprotected and ultimately non-selected in the recently completed Rule 5 draft.

(CF) Jameson Hannah - The Athletics 2nd round draft selection in 2018 ($1.80M bonus - (JR) Dallas Baptist University (TX)). In 492 PA's Hannah hit .274 - .339 - .369 as a 21 year old at the A+ level during the 2019 season. Jameson is a plus defender and has average to plus contact skills at the plate but he is small bodied which typically doesn't bode well for further power production. Dependent upon where Fairchild starts the 2020 season, Jameson may start the year back in A+, in which case he'd still be considered young for that level.

(RHRP) Ryan Hendrix - The Reds 5th round draft selection in 2016 ($0.41M bonus - (JR) Texas A&M University (TX)). Hendrix missed half of the 2019 season battling a right elbow strain but finished his age 24 season healthy at the AA level; 3W-0L and a 2.33 ERA in 19 IP. Ryan sports a 96 mph fastball and plus slider combination but like most fireballers he suffers from breakdown's in his command from time to time. He's recently been added to the Reds 40 man roster.

(3B) Rece Hinds - The Reds 2nd round draft selection in 2019 ($1.80M bonus - HS (FL)). The 18 year old big bodied thirdbaseman only suited up for 3 games in RK ball last year. Reds fans should expect a lot of power from Rece but also a lot of swing and miss at first go around. In addition, defensively speaking he's got the arm to stay at 3B but he's probably going to struggle with his footwork out of the gate - if he moves off 3B it's likely to 1B/LF or possibly RF.

(RHRP) Joel Kuhnel - The Reds 11th round draft selection in 2016 ($0.13M bonus - (JR) University of Texas at Arlington (AZ)). The soon to be 25 year old power righty is big league ready; sporting a 100 mph fastball, plus slider, and a so-so changeup. Last season he had a 5W-3L-14SV record with a 2.18 ERA over 54 combined innings pitched at the AA and AAA levels (in addition he saw action in 11 big league games). In the past he has failed to control his heater and there were concerns about his conditioning. He still has three options remaining, so he doesn't have to lock down a 26 man roster spot this spring.

(RHSP) Lyon Richardson - The Reds 2nd round draft selection in 2018 ($2.00M bonus - HS (FL)). As a 19 year old, Richardson posted a 3W-9L record with a 4.15 ERA in 26 starts at the A level in 2019. Lyon's still very much a raw prospect as he fits the pure athlete mold and was an excellent two-way player in highschool. He sports a mid 90's fastball, a so-so slider (which is showing improvement) and a so-so changeup. He's shown hittability thus far due to the fact that he hasn't yet mastered command of his fastball, but if he's able to get that in check he could potentially be a #3 starter with the Reds as he's also shown a lot of swing and miss when on his game.

(CF) Jose Siri - The Reds signed Siri as an International Free Agent in September 2012 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). This past season as a 23 year old Siri hit a combined .237 - .300 - .357 in 101 AA games and an additional 30 AAA games. Siri broke out in 2017 at A Dayton but has struggled these past two seasons. He's a plus defender with good range and a strong accurate arm, thus should stick in CF for the foreseeable future. Additionally, he's got excellent bat speed which generates plenty of power but he's never had a great eye at the plate. Plate discipline is his Achilles heel, as he swings at a lot of balls/doesn't take enough pitches. Time is running out for Siri to regain his previous status as a blooming up and coming prospect, he'll enter 2020 with one remaining option year and Stuart Fairchild will be breathing down his neck, though as we've witnessed with Aquino - it can be done.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 12-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.

4. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-18-2019),REDREAD (12-16-2019),RedsfaninMT (12-17-2019)

Richardson for me. Then Deleon. I had them both ahead of Siani and would probably pick them ahead of India and Santillan if I had to do it over. After those two, I'll still take Friedl. I think the rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated. He was injured and left off the 40 man, so people are writing him off. Nether Van Meter or Aquino, arguably the team's top two rookies last year (both better than Senzel in 2019 BTW) were not on the 40 man last winter. The Reds rightly figured he was too far away for somebody to pick him, but he could still end up with a decent career as a 4th or 5th OF. If all goes perfectly, he might have a Brett Butler type career, but I'm thinking more like Herm Winningham.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The votes for Callihan Auto Parts will continue until morale improves.

Richard, whose your favorite Little Rascal? Is it Alfalfa or is it.... Spanky?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Richardson again.

19 and adept in low A is a pretty good sign. That he improved his peripherals through the season is even better.

He got killed in April, did poorly in May, but had OPS against numbers of 709 or less the rest of the season. His August was dominant in five starts. He also took the ball 26 starts in a row.

At this point, Richardson is probably a BOR guy or a solid relief arm. He had plus stuff as a HS prospect, so he might end up a top-end relief arm.

JDL for me but could've voted for Richardson just as easily.

Voted Friedl again, mostly on achieved level. Could have gone to Richardson, Callihan, Acosta. I've got a number of guys ahead of Siani.

It feels like two years ago we would have been voting for guys like these in the 19 range instead of 9. Top of the system depth has really thinned the last couple of years between graduation to the bigs and trades.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (12-16-2019),REDREAD (12-16-2019)

I'm going Acosta mainly because no one else excites me that much at this stage. Say what you want about the Dominican Rookie League but the kid hit .403 there last year, that's tough at any level. Not only that but he then hit .370 in the Reds Rookie league. Plus his OBP was .503 or 100 points higher than his batting average. His SO/BB ratio is basically 1 which is a very good sign for such a young player. Oh and he can run too, 26 SB's last year and only caught once.
    Last edited by DocRed; 12-16-2019 at 11:54 AM.

13. Likes:

M2 (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Voted Friedl again, mostly on achieved level. Could have gone to Richardson, Callihan, Acosta. I've got a number of guys ahead of Siani.
    What has Friedl achieved?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He hasn't made the full AA jump, but he hit at every rung on the ladder on the way up and has a .277/.369/.412 career line despite the AA struggles. Also, seemed like he might have figured out AA after a brutal April. He posted a .791 OPS in May and .802 in June, then he got injured. Had he stayed healthy it's entirely possible he'd be on the other side of Stu Fairchild on this list. If you're looking for a bounce back candidate in the system, Friedl's an awfully good choice.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (12-16-2019),mth123 (12-16-2019),NC Reds (12-16-2019),RedlegJake (12-16-2019),Tuff Nut (12-17-2019)

Richardson for me. i expect him to benefit greatly from Driveline and restore velocity to high 90's.

So, at this point, Lyon is my mane man.

19. Likes:

klw (12-17-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Richardson for me. i expect him to benefit greatly from Driveline and restore velocity to high 90's.

So, at this point, Lyon is my mane man.
    You should take pride in that selection.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

klw (12-17-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I said he achieved the levels. He's had 560+ AA PA with an OBP higher than .350 and he can play CF. If Siani had done that or Richardson thrown a comparable number of AA innings, I'd have them here too.
    Last edited by HokieRed; 12-16-2019 at 07:54 PM.

I pivoted from Callihan to Richardson, but they're my next 2. Hinds, DeLeon, Friedl likely after.

Sorry, but Acosta probably doesn't Garner a vote from me until sometime after 20.

I'll probably vote for Clementina before Acosta.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?