Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wade Miley to 2y/$15m deal

Re: Reds sign Wade Miley to 2y/$15m deal

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Reds should consider a 6 man rotation.
    If the extra start each time through the rotation would allow Gray, Disco, Bauer and Castillo to throw a complete game every time, I'd be in. Otherwise, they need the most help in the bullpen. If they have a guy who is so good that you have to add a spot to the rotation to get him the ball, I'd suggest using him in relief because the guys they have aren't very good.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Mitri (08-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Espn's schedule shows Bauer going Thursday and Gray going Saturday.. not sure if that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by cincymoe View Post
    Espn's schedule shows Bauer going Thursday and Gray going Saturday.. not sure if that changed.
    disregard, doesn't look like that's up to date- doesn't include miley in place of mahle this week

Quote Originally Posted by cincymoe View Post
    disregard, doesn't look like that's up to date- doesn't include miley in place of mahle this week
    MLB.com is more accurate. Although after watching Sonny struggle with his Velo yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see Antone take his spot in the rotation Friday.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    MLB.com is more accurate. Although after watching Sonny struggle with his Velo yesterday I wouldn't be surprised to see Antone take his spot in the rotation Friday.
    He didn't struggle with his velo yesterday. I didn't read what anyone wrote about it after the game, but he was asked about what happened to the velo in the 5th and 6th and he said he wasn't throwing his fastball anymore, but tried going with a split fastball instead that works 89-90.

If we want to worry about someone's velo, though, worry about Bauer.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by statmanwvu View Post
    Absolutely. Miley one bad start allows him the jump right in? He was terrible last half of last year. Mahle was not much better. Maybe letting my anti-Miley creep in here I would rather see Mahle get another start.
    He was terrible in September last year, great in July and August.

That’s one month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-10-2020)

So is Miley coming back or what?

Unless he completely tanks again, Miley will be a welcomed addition to Reds pitching. Either he'll get moved to the pen, or Antone/Mahle will. At some point one and hopefully 2 of those 3 will need to be a mainstay in the bullpen, Reds should start deciding who those guys are and get it done, beginning tomorrow.

Late innings should be a mix of Garrett, Iglesias (but only in his super special gloves-on closer role), Antone, Mahle, with Jones and Sims behind them. Stephenson and Kuhnel should get their chances to work up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He was terrible in September last year, great in July and August.

That’s one month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    More specifically, it was 11 innings.its complete narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (08-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He didn't struggle with his velo yesterday. I didn't read what anyone wrote about it after the game, but he was asked about what happened to the velo in the 5th and 6th and he said he wasn't throwing his fastball anymore, but tried going with a split fastball instead that works 89-90.

If we want to worry about someone's velo, though, worry about Bauer.
    Bauer got messed up with that whole Detroit rain out when they called the game 8 minutes before start time and both starters had warmed up already. Took the start in the double header the next day, probably shouldn't have. He hasn't been right since. And you could tell that in his last start when he didn't come out for the 7th. That just isn't Bauer.

Hope the extra time gets him reset and gives him a chance to build off it. But it isn't a good sign.

14. Likes:

757690 (08-11-2020),REDREAD (08-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    Bauer got messed up with that whole Detroit rain out when they called the game 8 minutes before start time and both starters had warmed up already. Took the start in the double header the next day, probably shouldn't have. He hasn't been right since. And you could tell that in his last start when he didn't come out for the 7th. That just isn't Bauer.

Hope the extra time gets him reset and gives him a chance to build off it. But it isn't a good sign.
    I don’t know that Bauer hasn’t been right since the double header. His last August 7 outing was six innings, threw 103 pitches, he fanned 12, allowed one run. Not exactly a brief or ineffectual outing. Can’t throw 120 pitches every time.

By my count the current rotation schedule gives Bauer three extra days of rest. Bauer knows his needs, whatever he wants is fine, he’s a very scientific pitcher, just seems a little unusual. Not just the typical extra day.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-11-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the extra start each time through the rotation would allow Gray, Disco, Bauer and Castillo to throw a complete game every time, I'd be in. Otherwise, they need the most help in the bullpen. If they have a guy who is so good that you have to add a spot to the rotation to get him the ball, I'd suggest using him in relief because the guys they have aren't very good.
    Bullpen needs serious help. Biggest problem on the team. Have an extra starter throwing great.

Putting Mahle in a prominent bullpen role for now is 2+2=4.

One might hope Reds have the clarity of thinking to do that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-11-2020 at 08:08 AM.

My guess is they'll keep a guy back (Mahle or Antone) and stretched out in case of instances like doubleheaders and extra days rest. So it's sort of 6 starters, but not every turn. 5.5 starters. If 5 days pass and it doesn't look like you'll need him he gets bullpen work for a night or two. But again, Reds need to decide which guy to keep as the true 5th starter, as the 5.5th stater, and as a bullpen weapon.

Personally I'd keep Mahle in the rotation, use Miley in relief and Antone as the swingman.

18. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (08-11-2020),Revering4Blue (08-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t know that Bauer hasn’t been right since the double header. His last August 7 outing was six innings, threw 103 pitches, he fanned 12, allowed one run. Not exactly a brief or ineffectual outing. Can’t throw 120 pitches every time.

By my count the current rotation schedule gives Bauer three extra days of rest. Bauer knows his needs, whatever he wants is fine, he’s a very scientific pitcher, just seems a little unusual. Not just the typical extra day.
    exactly. was just wondering if people forgot that bauer's start after the doubleheader complete game was also a great start. 12Ks in 6 innings and people are concerned? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    exactly. was just wondering if people forgot that bauer's start after the doubleheader complete game was also a great start. 12Ks in 6 innings and people are concerned? lol.
    If an injury isn't acute (that is that they feel it the moment it happens), it will show up the next day usually. And if not then, the second day when pitchers resume their normal throwing program. During the game, adrenaline is pumping and it masks a whole lot of stuff.

Bauer is a little different, plays long toss the day after a start. That is when he will most likely feel the results of the day before. So he comes out the next start, his velocity is way off, and he doesn't come back out for the seventh. In addition, you don't see him making his case for going back out or hanging around for the inning. That just isn't Bauer. Now he is getting an extra three days. Clearly something showed up between starts and it wasn't bad enough to sideline him, but it didn't improve enough for him to stay on regular rest either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    My guess is they'll keep a guy back (Mahle or Antone) and stretched out in case of instances like doubleheaders and extra days rest. So it's sort of 6 starters, but not every turn. 5.5 starters. If 5 days pass and it doesn't look like you'll need him he gets bullpen work for a night or two. But again, Reds need to decide which guy to keep as the true 5th starter, as the 5.5th stater, and as a bullpen weapon.

Personally I'd keep Mahle in the rotation, use Miley in relief and Antone as the swingman.
    I don’t know what you mean by keeping a guy back or 5.5 starters. But if Mahle and Antone are pitching well they should be used. Now, immediately, in whatever role is needed. Miley too if he’s effective on return.

This team has among the worst - maybe the worst - bullpen numbers in baseball. They don’t have enough good pitchers on the 13 man staff. 44 games remaining, use your best guys, nobody is held back, every game is critical.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-11-2020 at 04:56 PM.

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-11-2020),Rolando (08-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?