Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wade Miley to 2y/$15m deal

Re: Reds sign Wade Miley to 2y/$15m deal

Solid depth move. Gives the back end of rotation some stability. This is kind of a steal for the Reds.

2. Likes:

bagz (12-17-2019),M2 (12-16-2019),mth123 (12-17-2019),Revering4Blue (12-16-2019),Ron Madden (12-16-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Thoughts:

1. For the going price of pitching this winter, Miley's well-priced.
    2. He's left-handed, and the Reds could use some of that.
    3. Just a thought, but Tony Disco might not want to sign a lease in Cincinnati for 2020 quite yet. Like, if it takes a pitcher to fetch a bat, he's the guy who gets moved.
    4. Also increases the chance of Bauer getting shipped in a contract swap.
    5. As others have mentioned, Miley's fortunes likely will hinge on how well he keeps the ball on the ground.
    6. Got to figure Johnson played a sizable role in wooing him.
    7. Still plenty of room to maneuver.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

bagz (12-17-2019),cincinnati chili (12-17-2019),DocRed (12-17-2019),Revering4Blue (12-16-2019),wally post (12-17-2019),wolfboy (12-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Seems like a safe assumption, but I recall we all thought the Reds were out on Sonny last year because of the current crop of starters at that time and they still went out and got him. So we'll see.
    While it’s not the sexy splash move of a bigger name I like it as a solid end of the rotation move. Especially if they take the money saved on this deal versus a bigger name and more $$$ and reallocate that to adding another bat to the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Thoughts:

1. For the going price of pitching this winter, Miley's well-priced.
    2. He's left-handed, and the Reds could use some of that.
    3. Just a thought, but Tony Disco might not want to sign a lease in Cincinnati for 2020 quite yet. Like, if it takes a pitcher to fetch a bat, he's the guy who gets moved.
    4. Also increases the chance of Bauer getting shipped in a contract swap.
    5. As others have mentioned, Miley's fortunes likely will hinge on how well he keeps the ball on the ground.
    6. Got to figure Johnson played a sizable role in wooing him.
    7. Still plenty of room to maneuver.
    Bauer is going nowhere with Boddy on staff AND following his performance as a Red last season. This has zero effect on this.

8. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-16-2019)

He's an upgrade over Mahle for sure. I like that.
    Would have prefered someone even better (and before anyone says that I am not saying that Roark is better )
    But I am thankful they upgraded the #5 spot in the rotation through Free Agency.
    Miley does give up a healthy amount of HR, but still an upgrade.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    It does open up possibilities for a trade of Mahle or Disco for a bat. Or Mahle can be a significant add to the bullpen for multiple innings. Remember all those great starts where he fell apart in the 4th or 5th inning?
    If I were you I wouldn't expect Miley to pitch any deeper in games with the Reds, 5 and he's usually done - it's about all you can hope for with 90 mph hurlers in today's game.

This is why the Reds still need to add a solid reliever to the bullpen.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (12-17-2019)

If we were in the Price +____ trade talks this seems to have taken us out of them it appears to me....other than that...ehhh

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Bauer is going nowhere with Boddy on staff AND following his performance as a Red last season. This has zero effect on this.
    That's my assumption, but I'd say the chances went from none to slim with this move. It's now more feasible, if still extremely improbable.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I hate to have low expectations, but short of falling ass-backwards into a Wash/LA/Hou caliber rotation, this really is as good of a rotation we can hope for (Not counting a mid season rental). They could compete in the postseason, though I wouldn’t favor them against one of those monster rotations.
    If Bauer pitches to his best abilities, Castillo continues to improve and Gray maintains last year's totals (surely a rosy outlook for all) I'm not sure what rotation out there we couldn't compete with.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

16. Likes:

HammerTime (12-16-2019),wolfboy (12-16-2019)

With Boddy's talk from the AMA about pitchers they were looking at and excited about acquiring/working with, I can't help but think he and Johnson have heavy input on any off-season pitching acquisitions.

This gives me hope.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    If Bauer pitches to his best abilities, Castillo continues to improve and Gray maintains last year's totals (surely a rosy outlook for all) I'm not sure what rotation out there we couldn't compete with.
    Couple that with Disco and Mahle/Miley in the 5 spot and that's potentially the best rotation the Reds have had front to back in my lifetime.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

19. Likes:

OGB (12-17-2019),savafan (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Couple that with Disco and Mahle/Miley in the 5 spot and that's potentially the best rotation the Reds have had front to back in my lifetime.
    2012-13 wasn't that long ago.

21. Likes:

Fil3232 (12-16-2019),Joeyjection19 (12-16-2019),LexRedsFan (12-16-2019),mth123 (12-17-2019),Nathan (12-17-2019),NebraskaRed (12-17-2019),REDREAD (12-17-2019),Roy Tucker (12-17-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I’m still taking the 2012 versions of Cueto/Latos/Arroyo/Homer/Leake

23. Likes:

NebraskaRed (12-17-2019),REDREAD (12-17-2019),Roy Tucker (12-17-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (12-17-2019)

I agree that 2012 was the best starting staff.

I am not sold that this starting staff is better than the first half of last year. A lot depends on which bauer shows up. I am interested how Miley works in gabp with the low k rate without excellent hr prevention or low walk rate. He also will have to rely on a reds defense that could be questionable at times. I am hoping miley has a 4.00 era.

25. Likes:

M2 (12-17-2019)

Meh. They lost 3 straight at home to Ryan Vogelsong, Barry Zito, and Matt Cain.

Turn Off Ads?