Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    With the new wave of increased cases (which is not likely to improve as the weather gets colder), I wonder if college football is going to be hosed. It's pretty difficult to "bubble" college kids like you can with professional athletes (and that obviously hasn't been perfect either). The current situation seems ripe for a wave of cases that make it too difficult to continue the season. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but it seems schools are going to need to get really lucky to avoid a rash of outbreaks like the one at Wisky.
    Damn "cheeseheads" anyway...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Full disclosure: I believe that the B1G season may unfold in the fashion in which MWM described.

That said, with the key word being may, I'm not about to make a concrete prediction after one week of whacked out season such as this.
    Well best of luck to MWM is his assessment of the Huskers. Go Lions.

With the new wave of increased cases (which is not likely to improve as the weather gets colder), I wonder if college football is going to be hosed. It's pretty difficult to "bubble" college kids like you can with professional athletes (and that obviously hasn't been perfect either). The current situation seems ripe for a wave of cases that make it too difficult to continue the season. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but it seems schools are going to need to get really lucky to avoid a rash of outbreaks like the one at Wisky.
    I do think you see some programs with outbreaks but there are a lot of other programs who have been successful at controlling the virus.

I think the Power 5 need to sit down with the Playoff Committee and tell them they either push the bowl/playoffs back, or they will do their own thing. There is no reason they can't push the playoffs back into mid to late January, giving all conferences a chance for some wiggle room.

"So Fla Red"

The B1G braintrust set this up for failure

Delaying the season 6 weeks leaving no room for schedule adjustments and contingencies

Not coordinating with the other Power 5 conferences and the CFP

Apparently no planning from March-August to deal with the virus and adapting to best practices and failures from other sports leagues

Timing the season with colder weather and natural flu season in the Northern/Midwest states

Being the only sports organization in the world to arbitrarily use a mandatory 21-day quarantine period even for asymptomatic cases involving low risk 18-22 year olds. Also the weird only to the B1G formula used for percentage thresholds and levels

Using the since corrected Myocarditis study from Penn State to justify the unilateral August 10 decision

It is like 11 of 14 University Presidents and Warren set this up as a see we tried and look it is not working situation. We told you so...

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-29-2020)

Big Ten absolutely messed up by not giving themselves flexibility and I think of all college football is ridiculous for not coordinating a plan and just looking out for themselves.

I don’t have a problem with the 21 day thing. It helps protect against the most extreme situations and we have seen guys come back from a positive test and not look very good physically even though by reports they weren’t that sick.

Nebraska REALLY wants to play football this fall.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...attanooga-mocs

Nebraska REALLY wants to play football this fall.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...attanooga-mocs
    I feel for Nebraska here (and think Wisconsin should forfeit the game) but I kinda agree with the notion that an all B1G schedule means an all B1G schedule. You don't want a future opponent going out of conference to schedule an opponent a week or so prior to your game? You want Maryland playing a Sun Belt team with different testing protocols prior to playing OSU?

Trevor Lawrence tests positive for Covid
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Trevor Lawrence tests positive for Covid
    Notre Dame has to be the luckiest team ever....they have Clemson in South Bend next weekend...
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Tom VanHaaren
    ESPN Staff Writer

Quarterback Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 ranked prospect overall in the 2022 class, has decommitted from Texas. Ewers is now likely to consider Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma among others.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Notre Dame has to be the luckiest team ever....they have Clemson in South Bend next weekend...
    It’s slightly unclear if he will miss ND. That’s the 10th day so presumably he could be back that day.

And Ewers is coming to Ohio State, along with a couple other 5 stars including a WR from Texas also.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It’s slightly unclear if he will miss ND. That’s the 10th day so presumably he could be back that day.
    true, but given they he is experiencing mild symptoms, I would guess at best ND would not face the best version of Lawrence. It seems like if someone has symptoms, their path back to full strength is a little more difficult. No science, just anecdotal examples.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

"So Fla Red"

With the Trevor Lawrence positive test, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren has just announced that out of an abundance of caution Nebraska will need to shut down all football activities for 21 days. And that his son, at Mississippi State, will observe 21 seconds of silence before today's team practice.

16. Likes:

adkindo (10-30-2020)

I think Clemson beats Notre Dame with me at QB (assuming Etienne stays healthy).

I think Clemson beats Notre Dame with me at QB (assuming Etienne stays healthy).
    and unlike most schools, they have another blue chip QB behind him
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?