The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: College Football 2020

ND back-up QB enters transfer portal.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

ND back-up QB enters transfer portal.

Everything's coming up roses for Jeremy Pruitt and Tennessee. It was mentioned two yrs ago that the Vols were losing recruits due to the coaching search after Butch Jones and dysfunction in Knoxville. I wrote this at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Forget flipping guys already committed.

I'll be thrilled if the Vols new coach can bring back guys who flipped from UT to undecided in the weeks since Butch was fired. One such example is 5 star offensive tackle Cade Mays who's from Knoxville and whose Dad played for the Vols and was All SEC in 1994 and a team captain.

You're right that this eternal optimism doesn't get you anywhere until we see results from the field. This is akin to getting excited on draft day for Bengal fans, a condition I know all too well...

I do think Pruitt is a far better fit than Schiano. One thing that can't be underestimated is that Pruitt is a southerner. Any of you who went to college in the south will get this. They're not so keen on a guy from Michigan like Butch Jones or a guy like Schiano from Jersey. They want to hear that southern drawl. Here are some comments typical of Vol fans:

"I'm happy we have a good ol' Southern boy coaching the Vols again"

"At least he doesn't have a Yankee accent."

The bottom line is this:

"Homerun hire! Gonna do great! We dodged a bullet. Imagine being saddled with John Currie and GS for the next 3-5 years! Thanks CPF!!!" CFP=Coach Philip Fulmer

I liked Fulmer's comment here about his hire:

"...his energy and personality is infectious"

That would not be said about Greg Schiano. The Vols are in need of some positive energy around there.

The Vols immediate expectations seem reasonable from what I can discern. They just want Pruitt to get them back to being Bowl eligible next yr
    Well now there's this:

Sources: Georgia sophomore OL Cade Mays enters transfer portal, will stay in SEC East at Tennessee

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...east-tennessee

I see Cade Mays had a change of heart and he now feels like life is better in Knoxville. It took him a couple yrs to figure it out but yeah, come back home Cade. His brother is a 4 star lineman and he's coming to UT in the 2020 class.

Jeremy Pruitt must be doing something right if he can pawn talent away from Georgia

Mike Leach to Mississippi State.

Didn’t see that one coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm just giddy with how things are going in Knoxville. 5* Jr O-lineman Trey Smith just announced that he's not going pro just yet. He's coming back for his senior yr. Now Trey has quite a history. He's a pancake machine as a guard on that line but he's also struggled with blood clots which has cut short his UT career. He was able to play this entire yr so hopefully this problem is licked, but this is a concern for everyone, including NFL teams.

If Cade Mays gets cleared ( a big if), that can be four 5 star OL and one 4 star OL on one offensive line. Four OL in the top 28 players of their respective classes according to 247. This is the type of line that "all star" rosters are made of. Even if Cade has to sit out a yr it should be a helluva O-line.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...ce/2715077001/

Due to the Vols success, we do have Nick Saban trying to lure away our D coordinator. This wouldn't happen if the Vols were suckin'. I guess it's a good problem to have.

My how things have changed in two yrs. No way we have 5* guys transfering to us and coming back for their senior yrs until Pruitt got here

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

The Egg Bowl will be interesting now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

From the sound of it Leach was interviewing with Ole Miss, Ark and MSU so I guess his leaving was bound to happen. Can't believe he was at Pullman for 8 yrs. He had quite the wide open passing game at WSU but he had little running game and the defense was downright putrid. Makes Oklahoma's look stellar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Egg Bowl will be interesting now.
    It was pretty darn interesting this past yr

I'm just giddy with how things are going in Knoxville. 5* Jr O-lineman Trey Smith just announced that he's not going pro just yet. He's coming back for his senior yr. Now Trey has quite a history. He's a pancake machine as a guard on that line but he's also struggled with blood clots which has cut short his UT career. He was able to play this entire yr so hopefully this problem is licked, but this is a concern for everyone, including NFL teams.

If Cade Mays gets cleared ( a big if), that can be four 5 star OL and one 4 star OL on one offensive line. Four OL in the top 28 players of their respective classes according to 247. This is the type of line that "all star" rosters are made of. Even if Cade has to sit out a yr it should be a helluva O-line.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...ce/2715077001/

Due to the Vols success, we do have Nick Saban trying to lure away our D coordinator. This wouldn't happen if the Vols were suckin'. I guess it's a good problem to have.

My how things have changed in two yrs. No way we have 5* guys transfering to us and coming back for their senior yrs until Pruitt got here
    https://247sports.com/Article/Cade-M...ars-141901346/

Mays will certainly have one of the more....interesting transfer cases we’ve seen.

From the sound of it Leach was interviewing with Ole Miss, Ark and MSU so I guess his leaving was bound to happen. Can't believe he was at Pullman for 8 yrs. He had quite the wide open passing game at WSU but he had little running game and the defense was downright putrid. Makes Oklahoma's look stellar
    Think of the SEC West now.

Saban
    Coach O
    Gus
    Jimbo
    Leach
    Kiffin
    Pittman (especially with the story about Mays)

Big names and big headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

- - - Updated - - -

It was pretty darn interesting this past yr
    It will be interesting before the game now. Lane vs Leach...........
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Interesting he goes from Pullman to Starkville. Former Washington State, USC and Iowa basketball coach George Raveling once said of Pullman, "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there." He also said, “When you’re from Pullman, you look forward to going anywhere.” Meanwhile, former Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson once said of Starkville, "The most exciting thing that goes on in Starkville is when they unload the Kroger trucks at midnight."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

StarkVegas, not Starkville...

14. Likes:

Chip R (01-09-2020)

Couple of things

-Is Tennessee ready to compete? Just a brief check shows me their recruiting hasn't been up to snuff with the contenders in the SEC. Right now, I see them in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Not terrible, but not where they want to be. I think Tennessee needs to pounce because I don't think Florida is headed in the right direction and Georgia looks to have stagnated. The best QB in the SEC will be Bo Nix, but other than him, is there another decent signal caller? Tennessee has been killed recently by being Alabama's crossover game, they just aren't on the same level.

-I think Mike Leach is a good coach, but I think his tenure at Miss St will be disastrous. His pressers and rants are cute and all, especially when you are at WSU, but at Miss St, where you are expected to win, it will wear off quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Couple of things

-Is Tennessee ready to compete? Just a brief check shows me their recruiting hasn't been up to snuff with the contenders in the SEC. Right now, I see them in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Not terrible, but not where they want to be. I think Tennessee needs to pounce because I don't think Florida is headed in the right direction and Georgia looks to have stagnated. The best QB in the SEC will be Bo Nix, but other than him, is there another decent signal caller? Tennessee has been killed recently by being Alabama's crossover game, they just aren't on the same level.

-I think Mike Leach is a good coach, but I think his tenure at Miss St will be disastrous. His pressers and rants are cute and all, especially when you are at WSU, but at Miss St, where you are expected to win, it will wear off quickly.
    Time will tell whether Tennessee is ready to compete with Florida and Georgia. Pawning a 5* lineman from them is a step in the right direction. To give you a short answer, a lot of it depends on the QB. Will freshman Harrison Bailey, a talented 6'5" kid from Georgia, be able to help the team this year? I think the team will be a power running team with stellar defense in 2020. Will that be enough? I don't know. It sure is hard to recruit with those boys. Tennessee can be 15th in the country and be 7th in the SEC

Six Ohio State football players make ESPN’s 150 greatest players list, with more to come
    Today 12:36 PM

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2020/0...e-to-come.html

Turn Off Ads?