Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    It’s really not that difficult to understand. Colorado newspaper runs report that CSU 10 anonymous sources with team stated that they are altering contact tracing reports so that players could practice and that players were threatened with reduced playing time is they quarantined. No names were given. Since then players Patrick O’Brien, Marcus McElroy Jr., Tony Mcbride have refuted the rumors saying theyre not being forced to play and that appropriate per cautions are in place at athletic facilities. They also refuted that HC Adazzio and DC Heater rarely wear masks, saying Addazio walks around yelling at people for not wearing masks. After the team stopped activities last week Adazzio stressed to the team that their safety was his paramount concern. Another player Brandon Hickerson-Rooks tweeted that this wasn’t true and whoever is lying needs to go. Player Scott Patchand said “name the sources, cause when I got sick I was urged to call the trainer right away”. Player Casey Irons tweeted “Yeah none of this is true”. Tanner Holland tweeted “None if y’all listen to this man” referring to the report by Kevin Lytle. Lytle also writes “Many players and staffers don’t feel safe. They have no say in safety.” Nice use of the word many. I’m assuming those “many” players were ones his 10 anonymous sources told him about. So you’ve got multiple named players saying these allegations are untrue but we should believe 10 unnamed sources instead?
    You've painted yourself into a corner where your position has to be one of three things:

1) The 10 sources lied to the reporter
    2) The journalist is lying about the existence of 10 sources
    3) One group of players saying this wasn't their experience on social media invalidates what 10 others experienced

What aggravates me about the article is while Lytle has continued to report things about CSU he has said nothing about all of the players denying the rumors. This is not journalism this is taking a one sided story and running it with it because why do some real work and do some investigative journalism when you can push this story and you know it’s going to be popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I looked into the followup stories and found this.

CSU has hired a law firm to investigate how the athletic department has handled the COVID-19 health protocols following a Coloradoan story in which players and staff aired concerns. Several CSU football players have also publicly shared support for how safety protocols have been handled.
    And of course the big news around the CSU football program today is no longer that investigation but this one:

Colorado State suspends football activities following allegations of racism, verbal abuse

Colorado State football team activities have been suspended indefinitely due to allegations of racism and verbal abuse in the program.

The Coloradoan reached out to CSU leadership on Friday seeking interviews regarding an investigation by the paper looking into allegations by multiple CSU players and athletics staff who say they witnessed racial insensitivity and emotional and verbal abuse among coaches and athletic administrators.

The story has not yet been published. Later on Friday, CSU released a statement from athletic director Joe Parker.

“Today, we learned of some extremely troubling allegations of racism and verbal abuse from CSU’s athletic administration generally and in the football program specifically.

"I have consulted with President (Joyce) McConnell about these new allegations, which obviously deeply concern her as well. Effective immediately, and for the best interests of our student-athletes, I am pausing all football-related activities indefinitely. This includes practices, workouts, and team meetings.
    Sounds like a really healthy program I want to spend time defending on a message board...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 08-08-2020 at 04:59 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The MAC will not play football in the fall. They will attempt to pivot to the spring.

Sources: MAC nixes fall football; 1st FBS to do so https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...es-move-spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The MAC will not play football in the fall. They will attempt to pivot to the spring.

Sources: MAC nixes fall football; 1st FBS to do so https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...es-move-spring
    Seems like the B10 could be the first P5 to make that call, which I'd think would stick a nail into the fall football coffin.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/3326536001...mpression=true
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Seems like the B10 could be the first P5 to make that call, which I'd think would stick a nail into the fall football coffin.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/3326536001...mpression=true
    Not looking good right now. Thought they’d at least give it a try with the parameters they put in place, but it looks very much on life support right now.

Ughh...

SEC will probably play, at least until a team gets quarantined.

All about that $
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    SEC will probably play, at least until a team gets quarantined.

All about that $
    I’m honestly surprised they went to all conference. If the other conferences cancel, the SEC will be pressured into doing the same.

The NFL is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Big Ten expected to cancel season as early as tomorrow.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Players pushing toward unionizing:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ssue-statement

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Big Ten expected to cancel season as early as tomorrow.
    Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You've painted yourself into a corner where your position has to be one of three things:

1) The 10 sources lied to the reporter
    2) The journalist is lying about the existence of 10 sources
    3) One group of players saying this wasn't their experience on social media invalidates what 10 others experienced

I looked into the followup stories and found this.

And of course the big news around the CSU football program today is no longer that investigation but this one:

Sounds like a really healthy program I want to spend time defending on a message board...
    1 - I question the validity of a writers 10 sources who are all anonymous. It lacks credibility.
    2 - Saying "players publicly have shared support for how safety has been handled" is a far cry from addressing the numerous players/staff who have outright denied the allegations.
    3 - The last part is a completely different topic.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 08-10-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This seems to be the true reason behind no CFB. A lot of people are questioning how you can come out with all the alternated schedules and just a short time later cancel the whole season. A ton of players are arguing that they're in a safer environment with the programs and having all the safety/medicals at their disposal. I'm sure the narrative that will be pushed is that it can't be done safely and we will all be expected to just nod our heads in agreement because when it's convenient for the parties involved COVID becomes too much of a problem to control. Never mind that other sports have made this work, both amateur and professional. This is 100% about collegiate athletes amateurism.

*Just before anyone lights into me or I get in trouble for crossing the line I wear a mask and I rarely go to public places. I've done my part but I'm smart enough to know this situation can be manipulated when it favors certain outcomes for powerful individuals.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 08-10-2020 at 08:05 AM.

This seems to be the true reason behind no CFB. A lot of people are questioning how you can come out with all the alternated schedules and just a short time later cancel the whole season. A ton of players are arguing that they're in a safer environment with the programs and having all the safety/medicals at their disposal. I'm sure the narrative that will be pushed is that it can't be done safely and we will all be expected to just nod our heads in agreement because when it's convenient for the parties involved COVID becomes too much of a problem to control. Never mind that other sports have made this work, both amateur and professional. This is 100% about collegiate athletes amateurism.

*Just before anyone lights into me or I get in trouble for crossing the line I wear a mask and I rarely go to public places. I've done my part but I'm smart enough to know this situation can be manipulated when it favors certain outcomes for powerful individuals.
    The NCAA doesn’t want to pay players, though. That doesn’t add up. Of course the players are safe as-is, but if there is a season it would mean hundreds of people in close proximity traveling all over the country and playing a contact sport. That is entirely different than practicing.

Also, what other amateur sport are you referring to?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This will probably fundamentally alter college sports and college football anyway, but if they cancel the season, I'm not sure it will be a recognizable sport going forward. Maybe that's a good thing, but the players are absolutely going to unionize because the administrators aren't listening to them. Then of course there are the money/amateurism issues that have been discussed forever. It will probably end up being some semipro type thing, separate from the NCAA, with some type of affiliation to the schools, but with far far less teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The NCAA doesn’t want to pay players, though. That doesn’t add up. Of course the players are safe as-is, but if there is a season it would mean hundreds of people in close proximity traveling all over the country and playing a contact sport. That is entirely different than practicing.

Also, what other amateur sport are you referring to?
    Exactly, the NCAA knows this will result in a catastrophe for them in terms of paying players/collegiate players amateur status. As for the other sports i'm referring to youth sports which have been going on all summer.

Turn Off Ads?