Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Exactly, the NCAA knows this will result in a catastrophe for them in terms of paying players/collegiate players amateur status. As for the other sports i'm referring to youth sports which have been going on all summer.
    Youth sports? That is about as apples and oranges as it gets.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 08-10-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been on board for an 8-game spring 2021 season (March-May) and then an 8-game fall 2021 season (Oct-Dec.) then hopefully back on track for 2022.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Healthy college athletes are already at an extremely low risk to this virus. I don't see that risk changing very much whether they play football or are just a normal student this semester. Let players who don't want the risk sit out and keep that eligibility and let those who want to play play.

5. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (08-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Healthy college athletes are already at an extremely low risk to this virus. I don't see that risk changing very much whether they play football or are just a normal student this semester. Let players who don't want the risk sit out and keep that eligibility and let those who want to play play.
    The issue is you will be having a group of about 200 people potentially traveling from a COVID hotspot to an area that is not and playing a full contact sport.

Also, at the end of the day it’s all about potential lawsuits. You’re talking thousands of student-athletes, these are not professionals.

Also, you say they are extremely low-risk of COVID. They are extremely low risk of dying from COVID, we have no idea what the long term negative effects of catching COVID are.

5 years from now a hundred players have severe heart defects as a result of COVID infection and sue the NCAA for eleventy billion dollars. This is not remotely far-fetched.

The problem, as with most things in college football, is there is no one to make a centralized decision, and with this there is no players union. It's all a freaking mess.

The commissioners and presidents can talk to each other, but they don't really have common interests. The Big Ten can't cancel football if the SEC/Big 12 don't do it too and if they do everyone involved should be fired.

It will be interesting if the mass movement of players saying they want to play in the last 24 hours will have an impact. The momentum was clearly moving towards canceling the season and all of the sudden, it's crickets from the administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Youth sports? That is about as apples and oranges as it gets.
    The point is the risk and the liability. Youth sports may move in smaller numbers but D1 college institutions have infinite resources to combat the circumstances. This is about more than COVID. This is about the NCAA and the schools losing their leverage.

The issue is you will be having a group of about 200 people potentially traveling from a COVID hotspot to an area that is not and playing a full contact sport.

Also, at the end of the day it’s all about potential lawsuits. You’re talking thousands of student-athletes, these are not professionals.

Also, you say they are extremely low-risk of COVID. They are extremely low risk of dying from COVID, we have no idea what the long term negative effects of catching COVID are.

5 years from now a hundred players have severe heart defects as a result of COVID infection and sue the NCAA for eleventy billion dollars. This is not remotely far-fetched.
    Rapid testing and quarantine the infected? And I'm sure there's a waiver that could be created for liability reasons. That way any player who chooses to play is doing so fully aware of the risk involved.

And you're right we don't know the long term effects, but we do know they're not only at an extremely low risk of dying, they're at an extremely low risk of even needing medical attention if infected. The average age for those dying is nearly 80, the avg age for those being hospitalized is pretty high as well. Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they're at an extremely low risk of having any long term side effects as well.

Don't force anyone to play, let those who are willing to play with a full understanding of the risk involved play.

There will likely be a process where the players are tested multiple times per week. Lawsuits should be avoided through a liability waiver that the players can chose to play/sign or not. The whole long-term negative effects thing is bonkers because with that mentality we may as well just cancel things forever? The last statement is completely far fetched. You even said we don't know the long term effects, now it's 100 players will have severe heart defects that they somehow will be able to 100% be able to attribute to COVID 5 years from now? I'm not saying it isn't possible but it is totally far fetched. You have to weigh the risks. As long as the players are not being forced to play and are not penalized (scholarships don't change) for not playing why can they not make their own choices as adults? Oh that's right, it's the amateurism argument and the NCAA gripping onto their little cash cows.

Rapid testing and quarantine the infected? And I'm sure there's a waiver that could be created for liability reasons. That way any player who chooses to play is doing so fully aware of the risk involved.

And you're right we don't know the long term effects, but we do know they're not only at an extremely low risk of dying, they're at an extremely low risk of even needing medical attention if infected. The average age for those dying is nearly 80, the avg age for those being hospitalized is pretty high as well. Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they're at an extremely low risk of having any long term side effects as well.

Don't force anyone to play, let those who are willing to play with a full understanding of the risk involved play.
    That’s the point: there is no full understanding of the risk involved. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    There will likely be a process where the players are tested multiple times per week. Lawsuits should be avoided through a liability waiver that the players can chose to play/sign or not. The whole long-term negative effects thing is bonkers because with that mentality we may as well just cancel things forever? The last statement is completely far fetched. You even said we don't know the long term effects, now it's 100 players will have severe heart defects that they somehow will be able to 100% be able to attribute to COVID 5 years from now? I'm not saying it isn't possible but it is totally far fetched. You have to weigh the risks. As long as the players are not being forced to play and are not penalized (scholarships don't change) for not playing why can they not make their own choices as adults? Oh that's right, it's the amateurism argument and the NCAA gripping onto their little cash cows.
    Forever? They are getting pretty far into vaccine tests right now. Probably just this season if we stop being dumb.

13. Likes:

Slyder (08-10-2020)

That’s the point: there is no full understanding of the risk involved. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something.
    So let people make their own choices. Those willing to accept the risk can play and those who are uncomfortable with the risk can sit. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

So let people make their own choices. Those willing to accept the risk can play and those who are uncomfortable with the risk can sit. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that.
    It absolutely is more complicated than that, though.

Lawsuits, lawsuits everywhere. I don’t care what kind of waiver is signed. This is not professional sports, it’s college amateur athletics. They do not get paid.

“No one ever told me this could do serious damage to my kidneys. Prove, in writing, the NCAA said by playing I could do serious damage to my kidneys.”

::::NCAA unable to prove it::::

::::multi-billion dollar lawsuit ensues::::

It absolutely is more complicated than that, though.

Lawsuits, lawsuits everywhere. I don’t care what kind of waiver is signed. This is not professional sports, it’s college amateur athletics. They do not get paid.

“No one ever told me this could do serious damage to my kidneys. Prove, in writing, the NCAA said by playing I could do serious damage to my kidneys.”

::::NCAA unable to prove it::::

::::multi-billion dollar lawsuit ensues::::
    It's amateur athletics until later this week when the players vote to form a union and sue the schools to let them play. Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's amateur athletics until later this week when the players vote to form a union and sue the schools to let them play. Then what?
    No idea. I would guess the NCAA would call their bluff. What grounds do the players have to sue? If that happens college football is probably over.

I heard, but I have not seen it in print anywhere, that most other college sports have already scrubbed their seasons. Has anyone seen that? I can't see anyway the universities don't face Title IX suits if they allowed football but women's soccer isn't given the same opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?