Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

^^^in general, I favor expanding the P5 to pick up those 5-10 schools that could easily compete at the P5 level that are stuck in G5 conferences. Cincinnati, Memphis, USF, UCF, BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, Houston and maybe a couple more. Get it over with and draw the true line between the P schools and non-P schools in football.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-16-2020),Revering4Blue (03-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Again, West Virginians watch more sports than any other state.

That's a lot of eyeballs.

As for 16 teams, I can get there rather easily:
    South Division
    Florida
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Auburn

North Division
    Kentucky
    West Virginia
    Missouri
    Arkansas

Central Division
    Tennessee
    Vandy
    Memphis
    South Carolina

West Division
    Texas A&M
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State
    Sign me up as a WVU fan if that is our football division each year! I think we could take that division championship 2 out of every 3 years.....maybe 3 out of 4.

College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    WVU could compete in the SEC, especially the SEC East. Outside of last year, I have little doubt we would have competed for the SEC East more years than Florida in the past decade....hell, we would have busted the Gators a$$ with their former QB....while taking a back seat to no team outside UK in basketball.
    This is hilarious.

I said nothing about WV not being able to compete in the SEC but I’ll bite....

You think WV would just waltz into the SEC East and compete, a program that typically gives up a very healthy amount of points is going to just stroll into the premiere defensive conference and what, score 30+ a game, in the SEC? Even if they could, and they might with today’s super charged offensive game, they’re going to stop the other teams from scoring 30+? Please.....

As for hoops, come on man. Are they a good program? Yeah sure, they’re pretty steady too but theyve never even won their conference regular season (Big12 or BigEast) and they’ve won their conference tournament once. So yeah, they’re faaarrrr from a guaranteed annual runner up to UK in basketball. People like to think it’s nobody after UK in the SEC for b-ball but they couldn’t be more wrong.

I respect the WV fandom but don’t be ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 03-17-2020 at 01:27 AM.

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-17-2020),WVRed (03-17-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    This is hilarious.

You think WV would just waltz into the SEC East and compete, a program that typically gives up a very healthy amount of points is going to just stroll into the premiere defensive conference and what, score 30+ a game, in the SEC? Even if they could, and they might with today’s super charged offensive game, they’re going to stop the other teams from scoring 30+? Please.....

As for hoops, come on man. Are they a good program? Yeah sure, they’re pretty steady too but theyve never even won their conference regular season (Big12 or BigEast) and they’ve won their conference tournament once. So yeah, they’re faaarrrr from a guaranteed annual runner up to UK in basketball. People like to think it’s nobody after UK in the SEC for b-ball but they couldn’t be more wrong.

Yeah, you got to love his passion for WV.

All things considered, WV is probably best suited to stay in the Big 12 and wait for expansion in that league to get "dance partners."

This is hilarious.

VW doesn't recruit well enough to be a player in the SEC.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    VW doesn't recruit well enough to be a player in the SEC.
    What you don't know is what their inclusion into the SEC would do to their recruiting.

10. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-23-2020)

This is hilarious.

first, the Final Four team in 2010 won the Big East tournament, and the Big East was a conference where the tournament champion was considered the conference champion. I get some conferences like the Big12 put more emphasis on the season, but the old Big East and ACC has always considered the tournament championship the real prize. The old Big East was the best and toughest bball conference in the modern history of college basketball and in the Big12, Kansas has won the conference something like 14 out of the last 15 years....so not much shame there. We have never beat Kansas in Phog Allen, but take a look at our record against Kansas in the Coliseum....and you think we would fear the SEC in basketball? Second, we could definitely compete in the SEC East. Outside of Georgia, who was WVU going to take a backseat to during the Will Grier years? SEC East had a little bounce back last year, but had been weak for years. The SEC has been UGA and the SEC West for years....and while teams like UF and UK have had some decent defenses, their offenses have been terrible. The last great QB UF had was.....Will Grier. So I want to be clear....you are suggesting that WVU Football could not compete with Tennessee? Kentucky? Vanderbilt? South Carolina? Missouri? and even Florida in recent years? If that is what you are claiming, you are simply wrong.

In regards to basketball, I did not claim we would be the annual runner up....I said we would would not take a backseat to any program outside UK. I am recognizing that UK is an elite Blue Blood bball program, and the only one in the SEC...just as the only program WVU takes a backseat to in the Big12 is Kansas. Taking a back seat is accepting we simply are not going to be able to recruit at that level or have similar success every season. The Big12 is a far better basketball conference than the SEC most years, and WVU has won more games in the Big12 since joining than any other team outside Kansas. There is no reason to think we would fair any worse in a weaker conference.

For the record, I have little to no interest in joining the SEC. WVU considers itself a football school, and I do not see the point in knowing that Alabama, LSU or Auburn is always going to be waiting in December to prevent any hopes of a magical season. The pinnacle for a SEC East team most years is a New Years day bowl game or the freakin Citrus Bowl (or whatever it is called now) and that is in the best years. That said, if we ended up in the SEC, please show up in Morgantown thinking it will be an easy win.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah, you got to love his passion for WV.

All things considered, WV is probably best suited to stay in the Big 12 and wait for expansion in that league to get "dance partners."
    I am passionate, but not delusional. I know where WVU fits into the overall picture, and you will never hear (or read) statements from me claiming that WVU is a blue blood or elite program in basketball or football. I am also not going to accept silly claims that we could not compete in a conference division with teams like South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Missouri most years. Also, the Big East and Big12 are nearly always superior basketball conferences than the SEC...and WVU does pretty good most years....so again to suggest we would be less in the SEC is illogical. WVU is #15 in all time wins among FBS programs and #22 in all time wins among Division 1 basketball programs (#17 among Power 6 Conference programs).....we have a record of winning against the highest levels of competition....so lets just stop with the debate over where WVU could or could not compete....we can compete in any conference in both revenue sports.

first, the Final Four team in 2010 won the Big East tournament, and the Big East was a conference where the tournament champion was considered the conference champion. I get some conferences like the Big12 put more emphasis on the season, but the old Big East and ACC has always considered the tournament championship the real prize. The old Big East was the best and toughest bball conference in the modern history of college basketball and in the Big12, Kansas has won the conference something like 14 out of the last 15 years....so not much shame there. We have never beat Kansas in Phog Allen, but take a look at our record against Kansas in the Coliseum....and you think we would fear the SEC in basketball? Second, we could definitely compete in the SEC East. Outside of Georgia, who was WVU going to take a backseat to during the Will Grier years? SEC East had a little bounce back last year, but had been weak for years. The SEC has been UGA and the SEC West for years....and while teams like UF and UK have had some decent defenses, their offenses have been terrible. The last great QB UF had was.....Will Grier. So I want to be clear....you are suggesting that WVU Football could not compete with Tennessee? Kentucky? Vanderbilt? South Carolina? Missouri? and even Florida in recent years? If that is what you are claiming, you are simply wrong.

In regards to basketball, I did not claim we would be the annual runner up....I said we would would not take a backseat to any program outside UK. I am recognizing that UK is an elite Blue Blood bball program, and the only one in the SEC...just as the only program WVU takes a backseat to in the Big12 is Kansas. Taking a back seat is accepting we simply are not going to be able to recruit at that level or have similar success every season. The Big12 is a far better basketball conference than the SEC most years, and WVU has won more games in the Big12 since joining than any other team outside Kansas. There is no reason to think we would fair any worse in a weaker conference.

For the record, I have little to no interest in joining the SEC. WVU considers itself a football school, and I do not see the point in knowing that Alabama, LSU or Auburn is always going to be waiting in December to prevent any hopes of a magical season. The pinnacle for a SEC East team most years is a New Years day bowl game or the freakin Citrus Bowl (or whatever it is called now) and that is in the best years. That said, if we ended up in the SEC, please show up in Morgantown thinking it will be an easy win.
    I lost count of how many times you referred to something I never said.

WVU couldn’t compete in the SEC.
    survey says.....nope never said that.

WVU should “fear” the SEC in basketball.
    Lol what?? You got that from me calling them a good steady program but the SEC isn’t just UK and nobody else? Wow ok. I mean I could talk about the fact that the last two SEC teams in the F4 were Auburn (2019) and South Carolina (2017) or that the SEC is second to only the ACC in NCAA tournament winning percentage over the past 35 years.

The other thing I’ll address is saying the pinnacle for the SEC East is a New Years Day Bowl game or the Citrus Bowl. Georgia was in the National Title game in 2018 and for the last 3 years they’ve been right on the cusp of a playoff bid but somebody has to lose the SEC championship game. That’s just the reality and Georgia has been on the wrong side of history 2 out of 3 times. In reality they’re usually superior to at least one of the teams in the CFP but the committee wouldnt be able to justify putting them in over a 1 loss team from one of the other P5 conferences despite the clear overall talent imbalance, exhibited annually by recruiting and the NFL draft.

I’ve got no beef with WVU, I actually like the program and was a fan when Grier was there. Jim McElwain was a moron and a prick and Grier should’ve never gotten away from UF but I enjoyed watching him in their high powered offense. Ultimately I think as a sports program WV would fit well in the SEC but as a school/institution I dont see it as a good fit. Again I don’t think it will ever happen because the SEC is looking for bigger markets to conquer.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-18-2020),WVRed (03-18-2020)

I lost count of how many times you referred to something I never said.

WVU couldn’t compete in the SEC.
    survey says.....nope never said that.

WVU should “fear” the SEC in basketball.
    Lol what?? You got that from me calling them a good steady program but the SEC isn’t just UK and nobody else? Wow ok. I mean I could talk about the fact that the last two SEC teams in the F4 were Auburn (2019) and South Carolina (2017) or that the SEC is second to only the ACC in NCAA tournament winning percentage over the past 35 years.

The other thing I’ll address is saying the pinnacle for the SEC East is a New Years Day Bowl game or the Citrus Bowl. Georgia was in the National Title game in 2018 and for the last 3 years they’ve been right on the cusp of a playoff bid but somebody has to lose the SEC championship game. That’s just the reality and Georgia has been on the wrong side of history 2 out of 3 times. In reality they’re usually superior to at least one of the teams in the CFP but the committee wouldnt be able to justify putting them in over a 1 loss team from one of the other P5 conferences despite the clear overall talent imbalance, exhibited annually by recruiting and the NFL draft.

I’ve got no beef with WVU, I actually like the program and was a fan when Grier was there. Jim McElwain was a moron and a prick and Grier should’ve never gotten away from UF but I enjoyed watching him in their high powered offense. Ultimately I think as a sports program WV would fit well in the SEC but as a school/institution I dont see it as a good fit. Again I don’t think it will ever happen because the SEC is looking for bigger markets to conquer.

I am not going to go back and read the thread to see which poster said what...so if I assigned statements to you that were stated by someone else, that is on me, and I apologize. Personally, I do not know where WVU ends up, but if they exit the Big12 I think the SEC may be the most logical landing spot. Again, I simply to do believe that in my lifetime the school will be relegated to non P5 status and it is not an academic fit in the Big10 or a cultural fit in the ACC (or at least how the ACC perceives themselves). Beyond location, the Big12 is actually a great fit for WVU, but unless the Big12 expands East it really becomes a difficult fit long term fit. I am not sure I agree, but as I stated previously, the recent analysis/articles suggest "markets" will not drive the next round of expansion/realignment. Instead, it will be driven by "brand" and WVU's brand exceeds it's regional population or even what it "should" be logically. I would speculate that WVU athletics "brand" value is equal to or exceeds half of the SEC?

One more thing....in regards to style of play (or lack of defense in B12), I think the schools usually evolve to the style of play of their conference (although some remain the oddball). When WVU was in the Big East, the football was mostly the spread read option. Pat White had far more 100 yard rushing games than 300 yard passing game....or probably even 200 yard passing games. Then Geno Smith took us into the B12 and WVU became a heavy passing air raid team, and that continued with Sklyer and Will. Currently the B12 is slightly adjusting away from the "air raid" style and WVU is also going in that direction. If WVU or any school joined the SEC East and the SEC East continued to be a "defensive" division/conference, the new school would likely build in that mold over the next 3-5 years.

Updated Heisman Trophy odds for 2020 season

Justin Fields - 7/2
    Trevor Lawrence - 5/1
    Jamie Newman - 7/1
    D'Eriq King - 9/1
    Spencer Rattler - 12/1

https://247sports.com/college/west-v.../#145617154_11

I agree with the Top 2....but Rattler @ 12/1 odds may be a good value play....here the kid is the real deal.

18. Likes:

Chip R (04-13-2020)

I've heard that before. Running backs that come from northern conferences like the Big 10 don't usually have a lot of success in the NFL. Zeke Elliott seems to be an exception and the jury is still out on Saquon Barkley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've heard that before. Running backs that come from northern conferences like the Big 10 don't usually have a lot of success in the NFL. Zeke Elliott seems to be an exception and the jury is still out on Saquon Barkley.
    That article is about where they played HS football not college, but even then between Zeke, Melvin Gordon, Barkley and Bell you have at least 4 of the top 8 or 10 Running Backs in the league that all played in the Big 10 right now. Miles Sanders had a pretty solid rookie season and you have Dobbins and Taylor coming in this year as first or second round picks.

Interesting thing on this list is that Florida has far and away the most drafted, but only 2 or 3 that have been star backs. Henry broke out last year, Cook has been good when healthy and maybe not a star but Marlon Mack has been solid. Lot of other solid to decent ones on there, but just interesting that with such a huge numbers advantage that there isn't a few more big ones.

Turn Off Ads?