Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

College Football 2020

Here we are on early signing day and USC still has only 11 recruits; no 5 stars and only one 4 star. That's a lost year in recruiting and can't ever happen for a school like that.

UC is doing OK, ranked #51 by 247. They have two 4* guys. Tennessee is at #16 so far. Decent but still below many SEC teams

Big Ten once again lagging behind. Only one team in the top ten. Four teams in the top 25. Tennessee has 6 SEC teams ahead of them. It's awfully tough to climb the latter in the SEC.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Fo...eTeamRankings/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here we are on early signing day and USC still has only 11 recruits; no 5 stars and only one 4 star. That's a lost year in recruiting and can't ever happen for a school like that.

UC is doing OK, ranked #51 by 247. They have two 4* guys. Tennessee is at #16 so far. Decent but still below many SEC teams

Big Ten once again lagging behind. Only one team in the top ten. Four teams in the top 25. Tennessee has 6 SEC teams ahead of them. It's awfully tough to climb the latter in the SEC.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Fo...eTeamRankings/
    It's amazing that they're bringing back Helton. It would be understandable if he at least has a recruiting class coming in that could provide some hope, but this is the type of class that can set the program back for years. Of the 11 recruits, only 1 is a 4 star.

For the Big 10, other schools need to step it up. The gap between OSU and everybody else widens every year. I remember Urban taking some criticism for calling out coaches for not recruiting well enough, but he's right. It's not like the gap between Clemson and the rest of the ACC, but there is nobody in the Big 10 that presents a consistent threat to OSU, and it's hard to see that changing. Penn State probably has the best chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should speak volumes that USC is recruiting against Kentucky for Michael (Donut) Drennen.

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Drennen-II-93981/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Two straight Top-6 classes for TAMU. (Just missed the 2020 Top-5 by a hair)

Will 2020 be the year the Jimbos make a splash on the field? It's been pretty quiet in College Station since Fisher took over. I thought they'd have made a little more noise by now.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Two straight Top-6 classes for TAMU. (Just missed the 2020 Top-5 by a hair)

Will 2020 be the year the Jimbos make a splash on the field? It's been pretty quiet in College Station since Fisher took over. I thought they'd have made a little more noise by now.
    They better hope so. Year 3 for Jimbo sporting his 10/75M deal and Year 2 was a complete dud

"So Fla Red"

The ACC will continue to be a one team conference until Florida State and Miami become respectable again.

Frankly the U has never recovered from the 2002 National Championship Game

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The ACC will continue to be a one team conference until Florida State and Miami become respectable again.

Frankly the U has never recovered from the 2002 National Championship Game
    Ask 10 different people what went wrong at Miami, and you get 10 different answers. I think there is a little truth to many of them....

- leaving the Big East
    - poor coaching decisions
    - recruiting stars and not football players
    - the northeast, rust belt and midwest producing less talent
    - UCF and USF......and FIU and FAU

Changing conferences always comes with bumps....it just does. Things are done a little different, venues are different, and you are the outsider for a while. Randy Shannon and Al Golden were just poor choices and probably a result of Miami not holding itself to higher standards.....Mark Richt at least got the program back to being competitive and recruiting a better roster, and the jury is still out on Manny. Miami was recruiting 4 & 5 stars during the good years and the bad years....but it is more complicated than how many stars a player has and Shannon and Golden appeared to not understand the type of players that fit the culture and complimented the roster....Richt began to get that back in the right direction. The collapse of high school football in many regions of the country has caused half of FBS teams to invade Florida in search for talent, which has made it harder for Miami to pick and choose in their own backyard. Finally UCF and USF have been aggressive in growth, and FAU/FIU appear to be in a similar path....which has put pressure on all 3 of the big boys in the state and cut into their depth. The 3 or 4 star kid that was once the backup CB at Miami is now the starting CB at USF.

Miami(FL) has a hard time recruiting local talent when the majority of the state is filled with retirees driving '69 Impalas they bought new with no rust and in mint condition (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Ask 10 different people what went wrong at Miami, and you get 10 different answers. I think there is a little truth to many of them....

- leaving the Big East
    - poor coaching decisions
    - recruiting stars and not football players
    - UCF and USF......and FIU and FAU

Changing conferences always comes with bumps....it just does. Things are done a little different, venues are different, and you are the outsider for a while. Randy Shannon and Al Golden were just poor choices and probably a result of Miami not holding itself to higher standards.....Mark Richt at least got the program back to being competitive and recruiting a better roster, and the jury is still out on Manny. Miami was recruiting 4 & 5 stars during the good years and the bad years....but it is more complicated than how many stars a player has and Shannon and Golden appeared to not understand the type of players that fit the culture and complimented the roster....Richt began to get that back in the right direction. The collapse of high school football in many regions of the country has caused half of FBS teams to invade Florida in search for talent, which has made it harder for Miami to pick and choose in their own backyard. Finally UCF and USF have been aggressive in growth, and FAU/FIU appear to be in a similar path....which has put pressure on all 3 of the big boys in the state and cut into their depth. The 3 or 4 star kid that was once the backup CB at Miami is now the starting CB at USF.
    Interesting thoughts. Although I don't understand what talent outside of their area has anything to do with it. I just think their fanbase needs to come to grips that the Canes are not going to be national title contenders every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Interesting thoughts. Although I don't understand what talent outside of their area has anything to do with it. I just think their fanbase needs to come to grips that the Canes are not going to be national title contenders every year.
    maybe I am just missing something that is in front of me....but what do you mean in regards to "talent outside their area"?

maybe I am just missing something that is in front of me....but what do you mean in regards to "talent outside their area"?
    Check your post out...

Check your post out...

which pushes those schools into Georgia and Florida in search of talent. It is just more of a challenge to get the lower to mid 4 Star Defensive End @ Miami Southridge when he has offers from all the FL schools, but also has offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Schools have always came for the elite 5 Star kids, but competition was more limited for that very good but non elite recruit. Now Michigan, Ohio, PA, etc. are just not producing enough of those very good players and are stealing them from Miami's backyard. If you just look at the raw numbers about 50% of high level recruits (4 & 5 Star's) come from 4 states (California, Florida, Texas and Georgia), while the other 50% is split up among the other 46 states.

which pushes those schools into Georgia and Florida in search of talent. It is just more of a challenge to get the lower to mid 4 Star Defensive End @ Miami Southridge when he has offers from all the FL schools, but also has offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Schools have always came for the elite 5 Star kids, but competition was more limited for that very good but non elite recruit. Now Michigan, Ohio, PA, etc. are just not producing enough of those very good players and are stealing them from Miami's backyard. If you just look at the raw numbers about 50% of high level recruits (4 & 5 Star's) come from 4 states (California, Florida, Texas and Georgia), while the other 50% is split up among the other 46 states.
    Sorry, I don't buy that. Miami, FSU, and Florida are getting more competition from the other in-state schools.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Miami, FSU, and Florida are getting more competition from the other in-state schools.
    what don't you buy?

Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?