Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 67 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The ACC will accommodate ND but other independents like New Mexico State and UMASS will probably be up the creek.
    Obviously the ACC wants the TV money ND brings...but it's also different in that ND is actually a member of the ACC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott tested positive for COVID-19. According to a short statement from the conference, Scott was experiencing mild flu-like symptoms near the end of last week and was tested for COVID-19 as a precaution. That test came back positive. Scott is now self-quarantining, but continues to work remotely. This item comes on the same day that the Pac-12 announced that it would be moving to a conference-only schedule along with pushing the beginning games further along the calendar (to be determined before the beginning of August).

Source: Pac-12 Conference on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    So as long as the noose is tied, we might as well jump of the horse, is what you're saying.
    Not at all, just pointing out the fact that college age students will not be socially distancing regardless of whether or not football is played. If they are not at a crowded football game on Saturday afternoon they will likely be hanging out with a group of friends/acquaintances. I frankly could not care less whether any sport is played at any level this year (if this pandemic has taught me anything it's that I can do fine without sports), but the argument that canceling football games would somehow protect 18-22 year olds is somewhat naive. Now I agree that cancelling the season would help protect older fans, alumni, coaching and support staff, ushers, etc ... you know people that don't have such an active and dynamic social life.
    Last edited by phatknuckle; 07-11-2020 at 07:18 AM.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-13-2020),Kingspoint (07-13-2020)

This is nothing but Pure Greed by the Power 5. The players are supposedly STUDENT-athletes. I applaud the Ivy League for being proactive.

I don't know how we'll have any fall sports this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-13-2020)

You cannot 100% protect from the virus. Let me give you my example why I'm working from home and just how limiting it COULD be.

I ref high school soccer in WV. Our board covers everything from Hurricane/Winfield in Putnam County to Man/Chapmanville in Logan.

I'll ref 5-6 games a week. Let's say a parent from Nitro game on Monday decides "I'm not that sick" and comes to a game after getting back from a business meeting in Dallas, TX and they infect me. I don't feel it until the following Monday. I work at Winfield Middle, South Charleston High, DuPont Middle, and George Washington (just varsity not counting any JV games for this example). Average 15 players per team... that's 120 players potentially exposed (not including other referees, parents, coaches, principals). Now with college football you have teams of 80-100...

I also work at the processing center of tax returns for the entire state. If our building gets shut down due to Covid, that's 400 people and EVERY tax return in the state is stalled.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    This is nothing but Pure Greed by the Power 5. The players are supposedly STUDENT-athletes. I applaud the Ivy League for being proactive.

I don't know how we'll have any fall sports this fall.
    There aren’t any good decisions here. The “right” thing to do is probably shut down or delay all the fall sports. That is the best decision from a health stand point for college football players.

However if that happens, and they make the greedy decision, little or none of the television money comes into the schools. Most if not all programs will have to make drastic cuts to their athletic departments. That means lost jobs for coaches, trainers, tutors, nutritionist, etc. That means lost scholarship opportunities for thousands or kids. Those are just the obvious short term ramifications and there are certainly longer term ripple effects.

So what is the right answer? I don’t know. But boiling it down to “greed” is a little simplistic for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So what is the right answer? I don’t know. But boiling it down to “greed” is a little simplistic for my taste.
    I call it greed because the ones who put their health on the line are the ones who gets a small bite of the economic benefit while colleges make money hand over fist. They're addicted to that money coming in.

NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, etc those are people who can look at it and say is it worth the hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars to risk it. STUDENT-athletes... not so much.

William Arthur Ward

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-13-2020),Roy Tucker (07-13-2020)

I call it greed because the ones who put their health on the line are the ones who gets a small bite of the economic benefit while colleges make money hand over fist. They're addicted to that money coming in.

NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, etc those are people who can look at it and say is it worth the hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars to risk it. STUDENT-athletes... not so much.
    College football isn’t completely fair economically to college football players, that’s true. But like I said in my other post, it creates the economic ecosystem that employs tens of thousands of people, opens up the athletic department to tens of thousands of other athletes. By not playing a season those people are all losing out. Is that the only consideration? No of course not, but you can’t ignore it either.

Quote Originally Posted by phatknuckle View Post
    Not at all, just pointing out the fact that college age students will not be socially distancing regardless of whether or not football is played. If they are not at a crowded football game on Saturday afternoon they will likely be hanging out with a group of friends/acquaintances. I frankly could not care less whether any sport is played at any level this year (if this pandemic has taught me anything it's that I can do fine without sports), but the argument that canceling football games would somehow protect 18-22 year olds is somewhat naive. Now I agree that cancelling the season would help protect older fans, alumni, coaching and support staff, ushers, etc ... you know people that don't have such an active and dynamic social life.
    My daughter and husband and son live in Athens OH. They graduated from there, spent a couple years in Portland OR, discovered they couldn’t afford it, and moved back to Athens.

She said that even if there are no inclassroom classes, a lot of kids are moving back to live off campus and do the remote classroom from there. I’m sure their parents want them the hell out of the house. And I’m sure there will be normal crazy college partying with absolutely no sense or responsibility. They’re 18-22 year olds. They’re often idiots.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Yep. The decision-makers will continue to get paid no matter what. Funny how that works.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There aren’t any good decisions here. The “right” thing to do is probably shut down or delay all the fall sports. That is the best decision from a health stand point for college football players.

However if that happens, and they make the greedy decision, little or none of the television money comes into the schools. Most if not all programs will have to make drastic cuts to their athletic departments. That means lost jobs for coaches, trainers, tutors, nutritionist, etc. That means lost scholarship opportunities for thousands or kids. Those are just the obvious short term ramifications and there are certainly longer term ripple effects.

right....it really is not about greed in regards to the decision makers because they will be paid well regardless of the decision. No football revenue would be catastrophic to most P5 and G5 athletic budgets.....and the primary losers will be the student athletes for the next 4-10 years as each athletic department tries to rebuild its programs. Also, for anyone that does not like football....the football program and players will sacrifice the least. The first programs on the cutting block with be the golf program...the volleyball program....soccer program....swimming and diving program, etc. If you are a college golf or soccer coach/player....you should be praying college football is played this year.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    right....it really is not about greed in regards to the decision makers because they will be paid well regardless of the decision. No football revenue would be catastrophic to most P5 and G5 athletic budgets.....and the primary losers will be the student athletes for the next 4-10 years as each athletic department tries to rebuild its programs. Also, for anyone that does not like football....the football program and players will sacrifice the least. The first programs on the cutting block with be the golf program...the volleyball program....soccer program....swimming and diving program, etc. If you are a college golf or soccer coach/player....you should be praying college football is played this year.
    So true. College Football foots the bill for all other College Sports, especially women's sports.

I wonder what the dollars are to fund an active playing team (travel costs like plane/bus fare, hotels, meals, coaches salary, uniforms, facilities, etc etc) and what the dollars are just to fund the scholarships.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 07-16-2020 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Fund
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I wonder what the dollars are to fund an active playing team (travel costs like plane/bus fare, hotels, meals, coaches salary, uniforms, facilities, etc etc) and what the dollars are just to fund the scholarships.
    https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

USA Today actually just posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not sure....but most schools that I have seen in the P5, college football revenue is in the 45-60% range of the total athletic budget. When schools like Kansas, Duke and Kentucky need football revenue, that says a lot.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?