Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    ESPN is definitely pushing to end all fall football. Watching Get up and First take and all they are doing is bashing the conferences that have decided to keep going. Go ESPN!!

Mentioned head NCAA physician advisor say "This is the Titanic and we are headed for an iceberg"
    Talked about Syracuse players opting out of practice because they are only testing every other week!
    but it's not political.....I was listening to two idiots on ESPN radio yesterday claiming that "if we lose one life, it is not worth it".....which is absolute garbage. When was the last football season that a life was not lost from some unknown heart condition, heat stroke, etc.? It happens every single season, and is always directly tied to playing football, often in extreme heat.....but we still do it every year. If you really bought into the "one life" theory, then you would never play football.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    At this point no, I don't think anyone is playing football this fall. I think the NFL is going to try, but college isn't going to play.
    I can't guarantee it....but I think odds are better than even that college football will be played this fall.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Honestly, find it a little sad and small that fans of Big10 teams response has been to hope that other teams are unable to play because their conference canceled their season. It appears to mostly be Ohio State fans calling in on radio shows, and some even admit that they were 100% for playing but after the Big10 cancelled, they do not want anyone to be able to play.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Honestly, find it a little sad and small that fans of Big10 teams response has been to hope that other teams are unable to play because their conference canceled their season. It appears to mostly be Ohio State fans calling in on radio shows, and some even admit that they were 100% for playing but after the Big10 cancelled, they do not want anyone to be able to play.
    I actually HOPE that the other conferences can play. Just like I HOPED that Ohio State and the Big Ten would play.

But that's all it is, hope. It's not real. If they do play that means the situation is improving, all the issues around testing and travel and kids coming back to campus, etc all worked out. But just read the tea leaves and they aren't good.

The Big 10/Pac 12 cancel. All other sports besides football cancel. Players at Syracuse and Florida State are calling out administrators and coaches for their safety policies. Texas and Florida where like 15% of the teams still considering playing are based continue to be the worst states for COVID. The language that the ADs and commissioners are using isn't very definitive. Lots of maybes, patience, monitoring the situation type stuff. And there's obviously the medical unknowns and what happens as school starts back up and the football bubbles that they have been living in for the past month become much harder to maintain.

If they want to hold on for a few more days or weeks to see how it goes, that's fine I guess. But I also hope that all the conferences are talking to each other to get a real contingency plan in place and sorting out the mountain of logistical issues that are there to put together something real. Getting a legit season to start in January is going to be hard and a lot of work has to be done and the longer the SEC/ACC/Big12 pretend like they are going to play next month the more unlikely any type of football at all happens before Fall 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    ESPN is definitely pushing to end all fall football. Watching Get up and First take and all they are doing is bashing the conferences that have decided to keep going. Go ESPN!!

Mentioned head NCAA physician advisor say "This is the Titanic and we are headed for an iceberg"
    Talked about Syracuse players opting out of practice because they are only testing every other week!
    I do think there is some schadenfreude going on with reporters. I think too many are writing articles to get clicks or views instead of actual reporting. There are some reporters out there taking this negative stance to say "I told you so." I don't think its widespread, more a small faction of noise and twitter experts.

All that said, I am getting the feeling for a bunch of reputable people I follow and read, that there won't be a season. The B1G didn't cancel (postpone) the season just because and while Kevin Warren took a lot of heat, it was a decision made by the presidents.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-15-2020)

Louisville is not only still thinking about playing football, but they actually submitted a plan to the Kentucky governor TODAY seeking permission to allow fans at the games. I guess if Churchill Downs can still plan to have fans in the stands for the Kentucky Derby, Louisville figures it can have fans in the stands for the imaginary football games they won't be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I do think there is some schadenfreude going on with reporters. I think too many are writing articles to get clicks or views instead of actual reporting.
    No way!

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Today's virus number don't look much better if at all than a week ago and 8 of the top 10 states are in ACC/SEC/Big12 country...heck even Kansas has 1,200 cases today and that's with a population of 2.9Million! Which is 4X less than Ohio. That would be like us having 5,000 cases a day! (The most cases we have had in a day is about 1,750)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-14-2020 at 07:42 PM.

It's a sport that paralyzes people, breaks bones, leaves them in lifelong pain, and inflicts damage to the brain that we're only beginning to understand. It's inherently dangerous yet we all love it anyway. I don't get shutting down young adults, particularly those who were going to be playing for a career in the NFL this season, who are an extremely low risk to this virus. Especially when these campuses are opening up for classes anyway. Playing means strict protocols and frequent testing, not playing means who knows what they'll do.

I'm with the SEC, ACC and Big 12 here.

11. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-17-2020),jimbo (08-15-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It's a sport that paralyzes people, breaks bones, leaves them in lifelong pain, and inflicts damage to the brain that we're only beginning to understand. It's inherently dangerous yet we all love it anyway. I don't get shutting down young adults, particularly those who were going to be playing for a career in the NFL this season, who are an extremely low risk to this virus. Especially when these campuses are opening up for classes anyway. Playing means strict protocols and frequent testing, not playing means who knows what they'll do.

I'm with the SEC, ACC and Big 12 here.
    What if breaking bones and head injuries were highly contagious?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    What if breaking bones and head injuries were highly contagious?
    If it posed a threat to their overall health equal to or less than their drive to the stadium I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing about the numbers we have on this virus says these players are at any real risk. But to those who are still uncomfortable playing, they should be allowed to opt out and retain scholarship and eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    If it posed a threat to their overall health equal to or less than their drive to the stadium I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing about the numbers we have on this virus says these players are at any real risk. But to those who are still uncomfortable playing, they should be allowed to opt out and retain scholarship and eligibility.
    If they could remain in a bubble, similar to what they have been during summer workouts, I might agree with you. But what about when they start interacting with the general student body, professors, older family members, hotel staff?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    If they could remain in a bubble, similar to what they have been during summer workouts, I might agree with you. But what about when they start interacting with the general student body, professors, older family members, hotel staff?
    If their college campuses are open for classes, how would it be that different either way? They're gonna be interacting with people regardless. In the setting of a college football season, there'd be a lot more safety protocols and testing.

16. Likes:

jimbo (08-15-2020)

― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Not sure that matters at all, but the approval of the saliva test could be a big deal.

9 Oklahoma Sooners test positive...but the B12 has it under control. Ya right....

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eturning-break

Turn Off Ads?