Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I don't see how the SEC can continue. They have the highest number of cases in America per capita currently and their healthcare infrastructure in many of their states like Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and Georgia are among the worst in the country. I mean 9 of the bottom 10 on that list are SEC states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...th-care/23457/
    If they don't care about who gets harmed from CTE, why would they care about who gets harmed from furthering the spread of COVID-19?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

M2 (08-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Ryan Day was on a media call this morning and is really pushing for the Big Ten to get out a plan ASAP for an 8 week season starting the first week of January.

He wants it out quick to let the seniors and draft eligible guys be able to make a decision and to try and get the other conferences to come on board.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ootball-season
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 08-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Playing in the Shoe and other midwest and eastern stadiums in January and February? Eeks. Brutal.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Chip R (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Playing in the Shoe and other midwest and eastern stadiums in January and February? Eeks. Brutal.
    Have the East teams play in Indy and the West teams play in Minneapolis. It's not ideal but it could work. 3 games on Saturday and then 3 games on Friday or Sunday depending on the Vikings/Colts schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Have the East teams play in Indy and the West teams play in Minneapolis. It's not ideal but it could work. 3 games on Saturday and then 3 games on Friday or Sunday depending on the Vikings/Colts schedule.
    Yeah maybe. You can add Detroit in there too. All the other domes are with south or west and out of Big 10 territory.

I still think it’s watered down football. Any player with pro aspirations will take that time to train and get ready for the NFL season. I think Day and other coaches know the SEC and ACC will play this up to all their recruits and will eat the Big 10’s lunch in recruiting.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Tossing around the idea of a spring season is dishonest and not fair to the players. There's no chance of it happening. You made your decision and that's fine, but don't mislead the players to try and lessen their push back.

10. Likes:

adkindo (08-12-2020)

Yeah maybe. You can add Detroit in there too. All the other domes are with south or west and out of Big 10 territory.

I still think it’s watered down football. Any player with pro aspirations will take that time to train and get ready for the NFL season. I think Day and other coaches know the SEC and ACC will play this up to all their recruits and will eat the Big 10’s lunch in recruiting.
    It's also an extra semester that a player would have to retain his academic eligibility.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nebraska might be surprised when the big 10 says "Good, make your departure permanent"
    Looks like they already did:

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-com...023133028.html
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Day is obviously concerned with everything you just said, which is why he is pushing for a plan and a quick plan.

The previous "spring football" type plans that have been thrown out talked about playing in March/April and that absolutely throws out any NFL prospects from playing. But if you play in January/February/March there is a window where guys might play.

The other thing he talked about was pushing for early enrollees that just lost their high school seasons to be able to play in both the winter season and the real 2021 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Tossing around the idea of a spring season is dishonest and not fair to the players. There's no chance of it happening. You made your decision and that's fine, but don't mislead the players to try and lessen their push back.
    I agree. I assume they are doing it to try to keep the players locked in, not seeking transfers, etc.....because I would guess there is less than a 1% chance college football games will be played in the spring, especially in the B10 and MAC.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

Chip R (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nebraska might be surprised when the big 10 says "Good, make your departure permanent"
    They do not belong in the B10 anyway....they are a Big12 school. It is not a good or bad thing....my school does not belong in the B12.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I agree. I assume they are doing it to try to keep the players locked in, not seeking transfers, etc.....because I would guess there is less than a 1% chance college football games will be played in the spring, especially in the B10 and MAC.
    The transfer thing isn't very realistic. Most of the teams don't have many if any roster spots and the logistical issues of transferring and getting a waiver in time isn't likely either. And that's ignoring that the other conferences are all probably going to do the same thing in about 4-6 weeks anyway.

I've been pretty critical of the Big Ten leadership for how they handled this decision because I don't think it needed to be made at this point, even if it was likely to have to be made at some point. I don't think it's fair to criticize them for the spring (really more winter) plan because I do think they are going to make every effort to play if they can and that's not just because players are rightly mad.

Big ten schools about to lose so many croots
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Big ten schools about to lose so many croots
    It's absolutely a risk if the other 3 play and they don't play at all until next Fall. But I don't think either of those scenarios are likely.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's absolutely a risk if the other 3 play and they don't play at all until next Fall. But I don't think either of those scenarios are likely.
    SEC is absolutely playing. They know their fanbase.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?