Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    SEC is absolutely playing. They know their fanbase.
    They won't play alone. If the ACC and Big 12 jump and if they get a real plan put in place to start in January and if the CFP signs on to that plan, they'll move.

Lot of ifs in that sentence I realize and I do think they'll be the last one to decide. I don't think they have a game scheduled until 9/26, so that might be the date.

2. Likes:

WVRed (08-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The transfer thing isn't very realistic. Most of the teams don't have many if any roster spots and the logistical issues of transferring and getting a waiver in time isn't likely either. And that's ignoring that the other conferences are all probably going to do the same thing in about 4-6 weeks anyway.

I've been pretty critical of the Big Ten leadership for how they handled this decision because I don't think it needed to be made at this point, even if it was likely to have to be made at some point. I don't think it's fair to criticize them for the spring (really more winter) plan because I do think they are going to make every effort to play if they can and that's not just because players are rightly mad.
    I was not suggesting transferring to play this season....I was more suggesting "idle minds" over the months on being in a program with no games.....the daily ups and downs that a 20ish year old will go though in college. It just allows those "grass is greener" feelings to take hold.

I actually hope they do play....I really do, and I do not really care about the schools or fan bases of those schools....but those kids have worked their a$$ off for the chance to chase glory on that field. If people have not been through preparing for a season at a big school, then they just do not understand what these young men do....every day is about preparing, and beginning in about June it becomes every hour. The drills, the training table time, the meetings, etc. etc......playing college sports is the most rewarding experience, while it is also the most sacrifice that a college student could ever endure. They miss out on so much to be able to take the field on Saturday. All that said...most of the high level media guys over the last week have suggested that there will be no spring football for many reasons, but maybe the most important would be medical professionals will eventually get involved to lay out a case about the significant health problems that would likely come from trying to play a season through March/April and taking the field again in August. Many 20 year old bodies (which are still developing) are not made for that level of punishment. CTE experts claim 7 to 8 months is the minimum required of no collisions to allow the brain to properly heal after a season.

I believe the coaches want to play, but they also have to be very public about their stance because of recruiting....and they probably also need their current players to think there may be a season, and not take the attitude that they can basically take a few months off......because some of them may like just being a student, and may choose to continue just being a student.
    Last edited by adkindo; 08-12-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

WVU picked up Arizona Grad transfer LB Tony Fields! Early everyone thought he may end up at Minnesota, but in recent months the rumors were Texas was a near lock! In the end....it was those Country Roads! Fields will join fellow 3 year Arizona starter Safety, Scottie Young @ WVU.

https://twitter.com/T_Fields1/status...95120661270528
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Somebody got a new football crib!

https://twitter.com/WVUfootball/stat...28845085372419

https://twitter.com/NealBrown_WVU/st...54333627711490

thinking the recruits may be impressed.....
    ― Marcus Aurelius

B12 fanbase is largely the same. ACC too. AAC too, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    B12 fanbase is largely the same. ACC too. AAC too, fwiw.
    in what way? Passion about college football? Those conferences are not even in the same universe as the SEC.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Chris Anderson
    @CMAnderson247

Since player safety is the priority here...#WVU football was up to 28 (!) COVID positives the week before mandatory workouts started and the strictest protocols began.

Less than a month later, with protocols in place, #WVU enters fall camp with zero active cases. None.

5:53 PM · Aug 10, 2020
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I assume in mandatory summer workouts, teams are creating a bubble atmosphere which has shown to work really well. Maybe the only way it works right now.

What happens when 30K students join them on campus and they start going to class and parties? Bubble becomes a little harder to maintain.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I assume in mandatory summer workouts, teams are creating a bubble atmosphere which has shown to work really well. Maybe the only way it works right now.

What happens when 30K students join them on campus and they start going to class and parties? Bubble becomes a little harder to maintain.
    isn't the point is that is the case if football is played or not played? I think that is what many have finally been discussing in the last week.....something I have been pointing out for a couple months. If it is about student athlete safety, does not playing increase their safety in regards to COVID?
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    isn't the point is that is the case if football is played or not played? I think that is what many have finally been discussing in the last week.....something I have been pointing out for a couple months. If it is about student athlete safety, does not playing increase their safety in regards to COVID?
    There’s a good argument that they absolutely have been better served by being on campus for the past 6 weeks or so. Big unknowns about when other kids come to campus, when they start doing full squad practice and when they actually have to travel and play live football against other teams. Could work, but a lot of new risk factors they don’t have now.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Nebraska not use to such treatment they ran the show in the big 8/12.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nebraska not use to such treatment they ran the show in the big 8/12.
    Nebraska hasn’t been relevant since the 90s-early 2000s.

And you spelled Texas wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

adkindo (08-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Are you suggesting bubble the football team on each campus? No class. No parties. Can't leave the dorm or the football facility. That would work but these guys have other things to do at college than play football.

I guess it's doable if every college goes online-only for the fall.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Not if the players send a list of demands and stand united. Also called unionizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-shi...191255677.html

Big Ten trying to get this January start put together. NFL seems to at least be open to pushing back the combine into April and the draft to possibly June 2.

Still a lot to iron out, and this seems like stuff that all could have been figured out in over the summer and at the very least before announcing they were not going to play in the fall, but it's some progress.

Turn Off Ads?