Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Also if you don’t think that if Ohio State goes undefeated, wins the Rose Bowl and doesn’t claim a National Championship like it’s 1941, you’re kidding yourself. It’ll be funny to do it just to piss off SEC fans and talk about it until the end of time.
    Sure they can claim it as long as someone ranks them #1 at the end of the season similar to UCF in 2017....but it will not be the AP or the College Football Playoff. I honestly am not sure Ohio State would claim it....seems a little beneath a program of their stature. I could see Minnesota doing it if they went undefeated....and Harbaugh definitely would
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now that the great Central Arkansas/APSU battle is behind us (and it turned out to be exciting at the end at least), we can look forward to Thursday night when the first two FBS teams play each other (Southern Miss and South Alabama). Or if you can't get enough Central Arkansas now, they play UAB half an hour earlier, making UAB the first FBS team to kick of the season.

Looking at the slate of games for week 1, it's a bit lacking (understatement). I would say the top game this weekend will be BYU/Navy on Labor Day.

Best Donald Trump tweet ever (note low bar).

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...950478849?s=20

9,000 fans for South Alabama/Southern Miss yesterday in Hattiesburg. Baby steps!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    9,000 fans for South Alabama/Southern Miss yesterday in Hattiesburg. Baby steps!
    I watched that game, and started thinking about something in regards to Southern Mississippi. If you were a college football fan in the late 90's, you probably recall they were at one time one of the premier "giant killers" in college football...as in a team outside the BCS (now P5) that BCS teams did not really want to schedule. During the Jeff Bower era, they kind of ran CUSA and were viewed as a team that may be worthy of a BCS conference. Obviously, it did not last as they have only won CUSA one time (2011) since Bower left in 2007. I can name a handful of other teams that fit this description and also have disappeared from national relevance such as Marshall. Others that fit this description include TCU, Louisville and Utah, but they were fortunate enough to gain access into a Power Conference. The only team that I can recall that has seemed to remain nationally relevant for a long period without gaining access to a Power Conference is Boise State, but even they have slipped over the last 10 years. The point of this ramble is it would seem like a team outside the P5 structure can rise to be relevant, but are on a fairly short clock to get access to a P5 conference or they are likely destined to recede to irrelevance.

The conclusion is teams like UCF, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis are likely on the clock.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Southern Miss was good for a long time. They used to absolutely torment my Louisville Cardinals. Firing Jeff Bower is among the dumbest things a college program has ever done.

EKU @ Marshall gets the ESPN 1PM slot. I will be interested in watching EKU since they visit Morgantown next weekend. The Middle Tennessee @ Army game at 1:30 on CBSSN could be interesting.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Southern Miss HC resigns after getting upset in Week 1. A lot of speculation about Hugh Freeze who is an alumni. Probably not the worst hire if he would leave Liberty, but personally I would sign RichRod tomorrow. I think he would be perfect for where that progam is right now, and could get them back to the top of CUSA with his spread option offense.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Based solely on week 1, I'm voting BYU #1 right now. I reserve the right to change my mind in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Based solely on week 1, I'm voting BYU #1 right now. I reserve the right to change my mind in the second half.
    ha, ha....I was thinking the same thing. They are the best team I have seen this year.....Marshall probably #2.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I was surprised by Harbaugh today claiming Michigan has continued full season workouts, and would be ready to play a game in 2 weeks.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I was surprised by Harbaugh today claiming Michigan has continued full season workouts, and would be ready to play a game in 2 weeks.
    Based on the looks of this game, and based on the schedule BYU has currently cobbled together, BYU should be giving Harbaugh a call to see if his Wolverines might like a trip to Provo.

Politicians from six states ask Big Ten officials to reconsider postponed football season

Political leaders from six states sent a letter Tuesday to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and the league's presidents and chancellors, urging the conference to reconsider its postponement of the 2020 football season.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohio State Buckeyes football coach Ryan Day questions Big Ten, hints at mid-October return

Ohio State coach Ryan Day on Thursday issued a statement through the school that hinted at a possible return in mid-October, but also continued to question the communication from the Big Ten since its decision last month to postpone the season.
    Pressure is getting heavy....several states including Ohio are exploring legal action against the Big10. I expect a revote next week, and Big10 football to kickoff before Halloween.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I think it might be on Halloween. I’m not sure everyone in the conference will play either. The lawsuits, or threat of lawsuits, I think will ultimately be the difference maker in getting enough of them to play a fall season.

Wisconsin just paused all classes and practices for 2 weeks. Assuming they want to play getting them ready by mid October seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think it might be on Halloween. I’m not sure everyone in the conference will play either. The lawsuits, or threat of lawsuits, I think will ultimately be the difference maker in getting enough of them to play a fall season.

Wisconsin just paused all classes and practices for 2 weeks. Assuming they want to play getting them ready by mid October seems unlikely.
    I did not realize Halloween was on a Saturday...so yeah, that would make sense. I was listening to the Ohio State AG today talking about the "legal option exploration" and I clearly got the sense the threat is only to serve as a vehicle to get the conference to act.....no school wants to sue their own conference. Also, he said there could be legal action against other individuals schools in the Big10, and it occurred to me that the one way a school could avoid being named in a lawsuit would be on the record as a "yes" to playing. I think mostly everyone is hoping the B10 takes the field this fall....at least the most nationally relevant teams.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?