Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

He is a Midwest Guy right now, but if a big program came calling I think he’d take it. Only Fickell knows however.

Fleck has a leg up on him right now as far as “up and coming” coaches go were an elite job to open up. I suspect Fleck is being very selective as well for his next job so it will be interesting.

I do wonder if Fickell’s ties to “boring” Tressell will restrict the amount of suitors for him. I don’t see him as a guy for the progressive PAC10 and Luke doesn’t scream SEC to me either. I considered Texas as a landing spot as I don’t think Hermann lasts much longer but would the Horns hire another OSU disciple? Michigan is possible but I’m not sure Fick has the stones for the ultimate heel turn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Would an Ohio State kid like Fickell consider going to the "other side", Ann Arbor? Interesting question.

There's a report out there that Bret Bielema is interested in the job at MSU.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ob/4712198002/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think Fickell made the right decision. Hard to say what he'd be walking into. Obviously, the football program is on unstable footing, but the university and athletic department have really been shaken up (probably should have been disbanded) after the Larry Nassar fiasco.

As an Ohio State fan, Fickell is such an easy guy to root for. Seems exceptionally loyal and kinda a throwback. I loved all the winning Ohio State did under Urban Meyer, but I really appreciate coaches like Fickell and Tressel that seem to care about the well-being of players (beyond as a marketing ploy and a recruiting gimmick). I think it's part of what makes college football enjoyable.

Hard to imagine where Fickell goes next. I could see him being content in Cincinnati for a decade or more. That said, his name seems to come up every offseason for positions (beyond typical media speculation). Maybe Illinois or Iowa. He does very much seem like a Midwestern, heartland kinda guy. Either way, glad to see him stick around Cincinnati and hope the Bearcats have a ton of success going forward.

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Would an Ohio State kid like Fickell consider going to the "other side", Ann Arbor? Interesting question.
    I think he may....but I would advise against it. Every loss, the loudest voices will take the lazy route about him not being a "Michigan Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You left off Michigan...
    One OSU podcast I listen to suggested that he would jump in a heartbeat for that job. Thing is, I don't think that would realistically happen. I think Fickell would "have" to take that job, I just think that hurdle is too big to even to get to the point where a contract is extended.

I don't buy the idea that UC will get into a Power 5 conference. The one they seemingly fit into isn't going to happen, the B1G. If another round of conference realignment happens, they may have a shot, but I just don't see it. What make UC enticing for another conference?

I think UC would fit into a major conference every bit as well as or better than Baylor, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oregon State, Washington State, Boston College and probably a few others I'm not thinking of, but unfortunately for UC no one is going to get kicked out of the club for them to get in. Timing was on the side of those others as they did a good job of aligning themselves with stronger programs decades ago. The hurdle is higher for UC: how do they IMPROVE an existing Power 5 conference? Tough case to make.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    how do they IMPROVE an existing Power 5 conference? Tough case to make.
    I don't know UC's history as far as academics but I know they have a med school there for under-graduates. That being said Cincinnati has a basketball legacy and ain't too damn bad at football. That brings something to a "Power 5" conference. When it comes to football they could bring a pro stadium into the fold. So exactly what were you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So exactly what were you saying?
    There's no Power 5 conference that improves itself by adding UC. I don't think that's particularly controversial.

And remember that "improve" in this context means financially more than anything. If a conference is going to split the financial pie to include Cincinnati, does that conference's overall financial pie grow enough by adding UC that everyone gets more money even when dividing by one more?
    Last edited by Boston Red; 02-10-2020 at 02:33 PM.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

There's no Power 5 conference that improves itself by adding UC. I don't think that's particularly controversial.

And remember that "improve" in this context means financially more than anything. If a conference is going to split the financial pie to include Cincinnati, does that conference's overall financial pie grow enough by adding UC that everyone gets more money even when dividing by one more?
    So you are talking TV revenue? Hmmmm...interesting.

UC would absolutely be a better fit than some current power 5 school. And yes, UC would be better than Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, or Kansas St in the Big 12. They would be better than Rutgers in the B1G. They would be better than Wake or BC or even Miami in the ACC. But those schools aren't getting kicked out of there conferences. UC and UCONN seemed to get hosed right and left and conference expansion and realignment tore apart the Big East and left those two at the alter.

I didn't include Rutgers because of the financial aspects of including the NYC TV market. Same can't be said for Iowa State, K-State, Wake, etc.

And I disagree with you wholeheartedly on TCU.

I didn't include Rutgers because of the financial aspects of including the NYC TV market. Same can't be said for Iowa State, K-State, Wake, etc.

And I disagree with you wholeheartedly on TCU.
    What does TCU bring? I get it, they are in Dallas (or close to Dallas) but one would contend that bringing in Houston would bring the larger market. But to further the point, Texas is Texas or A&M, the smaller schools don't really matter unless you get into their local area. I can't really speak to Dallas, but I would imagine during the football season, the TV's are glued to the Longhorns game far more than they are the Horned Frogs game.

I think they bring at least as much as UC in terms of viewership. And they've had significantly better football than UC on average (even before joining the Big 12).

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    UC would absolutely be a better fit than some current power 5 school. And yes, UC would be better than Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, or Kansas St in the Big 12. They would be better than Rutgers in the B1G. They would be better than Wake or BC or even Miami in the ACC. But those schools aren't getting kicked out of there conferences. UC and UCONN seemed to get hosed right and left and conference expansion and realignment tore apart the Big East and left those two at the alter.
    Louisville initially was left behind also. I am not sure Cincy adds more overall to a conference than Iowa State, Baylor, TCU or Kansas State....and I definitely do not think they come close to Miami. Cincy's likely only chance at getting a P5 invitation as the conferences are currently constructed in with the Big12 because of the school and overall academic mission. Likely not a fit for the ACC and I do not see the SEC adding a metropolitan based school above the Mason Dixon line. I would argue UCF should be the next invite for a conference....it is a massive school, football based/focused, and has unlimited upside.

Turn Off Ads?