Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

UC is winning 28-13 but man, SMU is getting some real home cooking from the refs.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-25-2020),Stray (10-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Heck of a win for the Cats. Defense totally handled SMU and a couple of big runs late to ice it.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    UC is winning 28-13 but man, SMU is getting some real home cooking from the refs.
    No idea how they reviewed that textbook targeting and concluded that it was definitely not targeting. On the take or terrible at their job. But it's nice to be good enough to blow them out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    No idea how they reviewed that textbook targeting and concluded that it was definitely not targeting. On the take or terrible at their job. But it's nice to be good enough to blow them out anyway.
    Watching several games yesterday, there seems to be some unevenness, IMO, on the application of the targeting rule. While I did not like the hits, I don't think two of the targeting calls on the Cornhuskers yesterday was targeting. Yet in the Penn State- Indiana game that was definitely a deliberate helmet to helmet hit, they reviewed it, yet still didn't call it.

On a separate note ... OSU lost a lot of defensive players last year, and I'm wondering if their run D may be a question mark? Especially in the CFP. Nebraska, like last year, ran the ball very well vs the Bucks. 210 yards total, 5.8 yds/carry. But 165 of those yards were the two QBs (Martinez and McCaffrey). I was getting a little perplexed as to why the Bucks couldn't make adjustments to slow these two down since that's all they did was run the ball for the most part.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-25-2020 at 09:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Fields was not just "ok".....that guy looked like the guy that we all heard about in high school a couple years ago....just special talent. He is a prime example of why when you have a "special" talent, you just have to hurt the feelings of your returning starter and give the ball to the kid. UGA knew he was more talented than Fromm, but did not have the guts to make the call. Fields @ UGA probably gets them a National Championship.
    Oh yeah Fields was great. Collectively it was just a bit of a rusty ho hum performance though.

Terrible news for Wisconsin....

Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz awaiting confirmation of positive COVID-19 test, per reports

Both newspapers reported Sunday, citing sources, that Mertz had an antigen test come back positive. Mertz will take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result. If confirmed, Mertz would have to miss a minimum of 21 days, according to the Big Ten's protocols for athletes who test positive.
    the RS Freshman looked good this weekend completing 20 of 21 passes for 5 TD's....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Add to it, the Huskers switched conferences. Miami and Florida St. joined conferences. Seems that Penn St. hardly skipped a beat even with the chomo stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Go Hoosiers!
    You think the Indiana QB made it? I was fine with them going with the call on the field since it was so close, but I do think he was short.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Watching several games yesterday, there seems to be some unevenness, IMO, on the application of the targeting rule. While I did not like the hits, I don't think two of the targeting calls on the Cornhuskers yesterday was targeting. Yet in the Penn State- Indiana game that was definitely a deliberate helmet to helmet hit, they reviewed it, yet still didn't call it.
    I think that with a lot of officiating, it depends on the official. There's a written rule but, like most rules, it's subject to individual interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think that with a lot of officiating, it depends on the official. There's a written rule but, like most rules, it's subject to individual interpretation.
    They really need to move it to a red card/yellow card type thing. There are some situations where the hits are just dirty and the player should be ejected, but most of them aren't that. It's fine to have the penalty stand as a deterrence and if it happens twice then the player should get kicked out, but the ejection is just harsh most of the time. And the lack of consistency on how it gets applied only makes it worse.

13. Likes:

GAC (10-26-2020)

never seen a FG miss like this....

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30184228
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I think the college targeting penalty and rule in general needed altered. I agree with you in regards to the Nebraska safety's, and my team lost our middle LB early in the game. While Ohio State was clearly more talented than Nebraska, the truth is once Nebraska lost their Safeties is when the Ohio State really began to pull away. Throwing a kid out of a game when there clearly was no intention or on plays where the defensive player can almost not avoid the contact is ridiculous. I totally get they wanted the penalty to be harsh to try to eliminate the hits....but the hits clearly have not been eliminated and some of them are unavoidable when you have a moving target. Anyone that has played football at any level understands that an offensive player is not a tackling dummy....you can try to make contact with your shoulders to the players chest, but if the offensive player suddenly drops a few inches down and to one side, you suddenly have helmet to helmet contact. Also the rule clearly prohibits the offensive player from leading with the crown of their helmet, but they do it on nearly every play and it is never called. Finally, something that may seem silly, but is very real for many college players is their parents/family may have incurred real expenses to travel to watch them play....and it may be the only game they are able to attend that season....then the kid gets tossed out of a game in the 1st Quarter on an unintentional hit that takes place.

They need to have two different levels of targeting...one where the player clearly launches with the crown of his helmet on a defenseless player (ejection) and a lesser version that only involves a penalty. If not that, then maybe the player is ejected after the 2nd targeting call in the game.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

16. Likes:

GAC (10-26-2020)

btw, if Rutgers wins 4 games this year.....Schiano should be consider the best coach in college football.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

The Big Ten is going to have one of their dreaded down years. I don't see another legit quality team outside OSU, and even they were far from perfect. They're going to have to figure out a way to run the ball more effectively.

Maybe Penn State is better than they showed on Saturday (and that final play was BS. It seem very clear to me the ball hit the ground before the pylon), but they haven't been recruiting very well of late and I don't think they're going to be as good as they have been. Michigan may have a chance to be decent, but Minnesota looked so bad it was hard to tell. I have no faith in Harbaugh as a head coach. Wisconsin possibly if this QB can come back and be as good as he looked Friday. But it's hard to get too excited about Wisconsin until they actually win a big game.

The best a team looked outside of OSU was probably Nebraska.

I can't see the Big Ten getting more than OSU in the playoff...assuming they run the table.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The targeting rule simply needs to go away. If there's one thing that's been shown time and again for years, it's that the officials aren't capable of calling it correctly with any level of consistency. It's too big of a penalty to be left to the randomness of officials who too often don't get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Big Ten is going to have one of their dreaded down years. I don't see another legit quality team outside OSU, and even they were far from perfect. They're going to have to figure out a way to run the ball more effectively.

Maybe Penn State is better than they showed on Saturday (and that final play was BS. It seem very clear to me the ball hit the ground before the pylon), but they haven't been recruiting very well of late and I don't think they're going to be as good as they have been. Michigan may have a chance to be decent, but Minnesota looked so bad it was hard to tell. I have no faith in Harbaugh as a head coach. Wisconsin possibly if this QB can come back and be as good as he looked Friday. But it's hard to get too excited about Wisconsin until they actually win a big game.

The best a team looked outside of OSU was probably Nebraska.

I can't see the Big Ten getting more than OSU in the playoff...assuming they run the table.
    Seems like most of college football is having a down year.

Obviously a lot of distractions with COVID, weird environments with no or few fans and it's very early and in the Big Ten's case had to jump right into conference play, but I wouldn't say I've been blown away by anyone.

21. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-26-2020),Revering4Blue (10-26-2020)

Turn Off Ads?