Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020

Re: College Football 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think they bring at least as much as UC in terms of viewership. And they've had significantly better football than UC on average (even before joining the Big 12).
    Memphis is also trying to be the next school....if their basketball program was as expected this year, they would have had a strong case. UCF and USF are dying to get the call. Houston, Boise State, BYU, Colorado State and others are all positioning.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, the Florida schools to me have a huge leg up just on geography. Cincinnati might be a nice "bridge" to WV for the Big XII.

Things will certainly get interesting in the mid-2020s if Texas gets wanderlust (or Oklahoma gets sick of putting up with Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Louisville initially was left behind also. I am not sure Cincy adds more overall to a conference than Iowa State, Baylor, TCU or Kansas State....and I definitely do not think they come close to Miami. Cincy's likely only chance at getting a P5 invitation as the conferences are currently constructed in with the Big12 because of the school and overall academic mission. Likely not a fit for the ACC and I do not see the SEC adding a metropolitan based school above the Mason Dixon line. I would argue UCF should be the next invite for a conference....it is a massive school, football based/focused, and has unlimited upside.
    Really, Iowa St, Baylor, and Kansas St bring little to a conference. I think UC, especially with a power 5 recruiting base, could bring a lot more to the table than those schools.

Miami has been a dumpster fire for a decade now. They are a small school in Miami with a fickle fan base. When they aren't good, the fan support dwindles (there is too much else to do down there.)

UC's biggest problem may have been that OSU wanted nothing to do with UC in the B1G. Granted the B1G has the Cincinnati market with OSU, there was no desire to bring in a competitor to OSU and their brand.

UC did everything they should have, but never got an invite. The Big 12 still makes sense as a bridge to WVU, but I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    UC did everything they should have, but never got an invite.
    They did, but they were a bit late to it. Louisville was ten years ahead of UC in getting facilities in order, focusing on the full athletic department, etc., so Louisville was ready when there was actually a spot to be filled. It is a bit backwards sounding, but Louisville was also fortunate to be in a slightly smaller market than UC. Still big enough to be interesting and provide a lot of support to the program, but not so big to have competition for consumers' sports entertainment dollars (Reds, Bengals).

6. Likes:

BillDoran (02-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, the Florida schools to me have a huge leg up just on geography. Cincinnati might be a nice "bridge" to WV for the Big XII.

Things will certainly get interesting in the mid-2020s if Texas gets wanderlust (or Oklahoma gets sick of putting up with Texas).
    I really thought the B12 was going to add Cincinnati and Louisville as bridges to WVU before Louisville went the ACC route.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I really thought the B12 was going to add Cincinnati and Louisville as bridges to WVU before Louisville went the ACC route.
    Speaking as a Louisville fan in Big XII country, that would have been fantastic!

Fickell turned down Michigan State.

Who takes it?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Who takes it?
    Name:  Dana-Carvey-as-Church-Lady-Yahoo-Video-Screenshot.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  94.8 KB

11. Likes:

Chip R (02-11-2020),cumberlandreds (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Who takes it?
    Right now the names being thrown around are Bret Bielema and Jim McElwaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Right now the names being thrown around are Bret Bielema and Jim McElwaine.
    Those would both be pretty decent hires IMO. Bielema was bad at Arkansas, but that's a tough job, and he obviously had success at Wisconsin. McElwain also had issues, but he brought in a lot of talent, and his recruiting classes have fueled their recent success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Those would both be pretty decent hires IMO. Bielema was bad at Arkansas, but that's a tough job, and he obviously had success at Wisconsin. McElwain also had issues, but he brought in a lot of talent, and his recruiting classes have fueled their recent success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't trust Bret at all and quite frankly he is despised in B1G country for what he did at Wiscy. Much like Saban is.

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I wouldn't trust Bret at all and quite frankly he is despised in B1G country for what he did at Wiscy. Much like Saban is.
    Yep, but he would be welcomed with open arms at MSU. McElwain is pretty blah, at MSU you need a coach like Dantonio where you can coach up players and find the underrated players. Its a difficult school to win recruiting battles against OSU, Michigan, and ND.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yep, but he would be welcomed with open arms at MSU. McElwain is pretty blah, at MSU you need a coach like Dantonio where you can coach up players and find the underrated players. Its a difficult school to win recruiting battles against OSU, Michigan, and ND.
    Well, maybe they deserve each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Sign me right up for all the Burt press conferences taking shots at Harbaugh.

MSU picks someone from the Buckeye State to be its next head football coach. Mel Tucker.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...an-state-coach

Turn Off Ads?