Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Re: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I’m not even necessarily opposed to the idea of trading for Lindor, I’d obviously love to have him. It would be about the cost for me.

But I can’t get on board with the whole “we’re the leer little Reds from a small market and maybe winning the next two years is the best we can expect from ownership and management” thing.

I cry BS on that.

Well run teams know how to be competitive. I’m not saying they can be WS contenders every year like the big boys, but we’ll run teams don’t punt 5-6 seasons in a row. Look at The Rays and The Athletics. It can be done.
    Yes, but the Rays and Athletics look for bargains, retreads, or explore creative ways to maximize a players value. They never go for the big-Lindor type deal and the net result is neither team has won a World Series with their ways. Sure, they compete and make the playoffs, but have no title to show for it. Maybe it's better to win big, win it all, then blow it up and reset? No idea, just putting my thoughts out there.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (12-20-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I didn't realize Lindor isn't that much older than Senzel and has already had five solid big league seasons including being a 4 time all-star. Bye Senzel, I'm ready to see you go in a deal for Lindor.
    I think it's overblown when guys arrive to the MLB and become successful. Players develop at their own pace for a number of different reasons (injuries, position changes, etc.). Hell, Edgar Martinez just made the HOF and he didn't play a full season until he was 27. Senzel will turn 25 in the middle of next year.

The only thing your above statement means for the Reds is that they'd be trading 15+ years of control (presumably 2 or 3 highly-regarded prospects) for 2 years of Lindor.

The more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to want a trade like that without negotiating an extension with Lindor ahead of time. That's even more true when I see these insane trade predictions involving Senzel, India, Santillan, Garrett and potentially more. No thanks to anything even approaching that.

Yes, but the Rays and Athletics look for bargains, retreads, or explore creative ways to maximize a players value. They never go for the big-Lindor type deal and the net result is neither team has won a World Series with their ways. Sure, they compete and make the playoffs, but have no title to show for it. Maybe it's better to win big, win it all, then blow it up and reset? No idea, just putting my thoughts out there.
    I hate to break it to you, but the number of "small market" teams that have won WS titles in the last 20 years is very small. From 1999 through 2019, only 3 WS titles went to teams outside the top 15 largest metro areas: St. Louis (2) and Kansas City. If anyone is the model, it should be St. Louis. FWIW, 14 of those 21 titles went to teams in the top 10 largest MSAs.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I think it's overblown when guys arrive to the MLB and become successful. Players develop at their own pace for a number of different reasons (injuries, position changes, etc.). Hell, Edgar Martinez just made the HOF and he didn't play a full season until he was 27. Senzel will turn 25 in the middle of next year.

The only thing your above statement means for the Reds is that they'd be trading 15+ years of control (presumably 2 or 3 highly-regarded prospects) for 2 years of Lindor.

The more I think about it, the more reluctant I am to want a trade like that without negotiating an extension with Lindor ahead of time. That's even more true when I see these insane trade predictions involving Senzel, India, Santillan, Garrett and potentially more. No thanks to anything even approaching that.
    Senzel's rookie year performance is certainly not the end all for him. Much like you stated, different guys move at a different pace. What it does do however, is perhaps shift his range of expected outcomes downward a bit (less likely to hit higher outcomes) compared to if he came up and put up a 110-120 wR+ type of season.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rosenthal: Donaldson sweepstakes update; Lindor talks reaching critical stage; Mets not too motivated on Marte
    The Francisco Lindor talks appear to be reaching a critical stage.

The Indians are telling clubs interested in trading for Lindor that they want each team’s best and final offers so they can make an assessment over the weekend.

The request by the Indians does not mean a trade of Lindor is certain. But clearly, the Indians are seriously considering moving their four-time All-Star shortstop, who is under club control for two more seasons and projected by MLBTradeRumors.com to earn $16.7 million in arbitration in 2020.

“I do think (the Indians) are trying to bring things to a rapid conclusion,” said one executive involved in the talks. “I’m not sure why they want to impose an artificial deadline when they may get a much better deal in January once teams have a clearer picture of what options they have.”

As first reported on Thursday by MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand, the Reds are one of the teams talking to the Indians about Lindor. The Padres and Dodgers are also known to have interest. The Mets were in the mix, but backed off because they considered the Indians’ asking price to be too high for a player whose salary might rise to $25 million in 2021.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

This is all a business decision - how important do Reds feel it is to contend (not just improve) in 2020?

It sounds like a close call, good arguments on both sides, but what we don’t know is the answer to that question.

9. Likes:

DocRed (12-20-2019),Edd Roush (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is all a business decision - how important do Reds feel it is to contend (not just improve) in 2020?

It sounds like a close call, good arguments on both sides, but what we don’t know is the answer to that question.
    With Lindor your timetable extends that to 2021. The only major FA we "might" lose are Bauer and Disco.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Well run teams know how to be competitive. I’m not saying they can be WS contenders every year like the big boys, but well managed teams don’t punt 5-6 seasons in a row. Look at The Rays and The Athletics. It can be done.
    I kind of agree with this, but I think it's too often overlooked that the Rays and A's have no fans and that never really changes. The calculus is a bit different in Cincinnati where there is a fanbase but they will only show up if you're really trying to woo them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

The Operator (12-20-2019)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Biggest hang up for me on this one, if you’re trading Senzel for Lindor, you’re basically making the next 2 years all or nothing..
    Beats the hell out of the only option being nothing.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Here’s my shot at the popular 3 team trade scenario:

Dodgers receive Lindor
    Reds receive Seager and Dennis Santana
    Indians receive Senzel, Jeter Downs, Galvis

My opinion is just that, an opinion, but here is what I think.

Lindor has played four full seasons. He is a four time all star with MVP votes each year, a two time gold glover, and a two time silver slugger winner.
    He just turned 26 years old, and any team that has him will have him in his prime 26 and 27 seasons.
    If you put him in GABP, he is a virtual lock to put up a line of 100 runs, 30 homers, 80 RBI, 20 steals, 40 doubles, while hitting 280 with an obp of 350.

In short, he is one of the best players in the entire game. He is a 5 category stud. Even if Senzel becomes a solid everyday player, he isn't likely to touch what Lindor is right now, and Lindor could still be getting better.

I offer Senzel, India, and honestly Hunter Greene. India is blocked and Greene is years away. Go for it and get the guy.

16. Likes:

DocRed (12-20-2019),RedForLife (12-20-2019),REDREAD (12-20-2019),RedsFanInMS (12-20-2019)

I think a team like the Reds can do both. Hang onto your prospects you think will be absolute studs, don't be afraid to wheel and deal the ones who won't be while the market is overvaluing prospects and control. They are starting to get creative in adding cheap talent on the pitching side. Hopefully the hitting side follows.

Teams need stud players to win WS, getting stud players is hard. So if you get a chance to acquire one without getting rid of you prospects you project to be "studs", do it. You can have the most amazing farm system on the planet but at the end of the day there are 26 roster spots and only 10 starters on a given day (w/DH).
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

reds77 (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Here’s my shot at the popular 3 team trade scenario:

Dodgers receive Lindor
    Reds receive Seager and Dennis Santana
    Indians receive Senzel, Jeter Downs, Galvis
    Cleveland says no. That's not enough

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    My opinion is just that, an opinion, but here is what I think.

Lindor has played four full seasons. He is a four time all star with MVP votes each year, a two time gold glover, and a two time silver slugger winner.
    He just turned 26 years old, and any team that has him will have him in his prime 26 and 27 seasons.
    If you put him in GABP, he is a virtual lock to put up a line of 100 runs, 30 homers, 80 RBI, 20 steals, 40 doubles, while hitting 280 with an obp of 350.

In short, he is one of the best players in the entire game. He is a 5 category stud. Even if Senzel becomes a solid everyday player, he isn't likely to touch what Lindor is right now, and Lindor could still be getting better.

I offer Senzel, India, and honestly Hunter Greene. India is blocked and Greene is years away. Go for it and get the guy.
    I think this is getting around the kind of deal it would take to land Lindor. As long as Cleveland believes India still has the potential to live up to his draft spot, that Hunter Greene is healthy, and that Senzel will blossom.

I'm not sure the Reds would be willing to part with that package. Senzel and India (+ more) they could stomach but I've got a feeling they'll try hard to keep Greene and Lodolo off the table. Those two guys are the future potential of the rotation.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 12-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Senzel, Greene and India is too much.

I'm not in love with Hunter Greene as a prospect, but the Reds have to try and keep him, if only as trade bait in the next few seasons.

Senzel, India and any prospect outside of Greene, Lodolo, Ty Steve and Garcia.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-20-2019),JCM11 (12-20-2019),Tom Servo (12-20-2019)

Turn Off Ads?