Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Re: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    Hopefully the Reds learned from those 3 mistakes. As a small/medium market you can’t commit a quarter or more of your payroll to 1 player.

Lindor is a superstar, he won’t re-sign to play in Ohio anyways. He’s bigger than that.
    So the Reds should just fold up shop then? If every good player is too good for them, then what's the point?

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-05-2020),RedlegJake (01-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    How does Lindor compare to Barry Larkin at his peak?
    Lindor’s 4 best seasons so far, age 22-25
    BA/OBP/SLG
    .301/.358/.435
    .273/.337/.505
    .277/.352/.519
    .284/.335/.518

Larkin, age 31-34:
    .319/.394/.492
    .298/.410/.567
    .317/.440/.473
    .309/.397/.504

Slugging is comparable, but Larkin’s OBP just takes him to the next level.

In other words, Larkin was a BEAST.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-05-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Lindor’s 4 best seasons so far, age 22-25
    BA/OBP/SLG
    .301/.358/.435
    .273/.337/.505
    .277/.352/.519
    .284/.335/.518

Larkin, age 31-34:
    .319/.394/.492
    .298/.410/.567
    .317/.440/.473
    .309/.397/.504

Slugging is comparable, but Larkin’s OBP just takes him to the next level.

In other words, Larkin was a BEAST.
    That indeed he was

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    Lindor is great and certainly the best SS we could get. But there's plenty of guys out there who would be an upgrade from Galvis. Story, Seager, Baez, Correa, Semien, and Swanson have all been mentioned in trade rumors. Costs vary on all of them, but I'd say they all make the Reds better than Galvis.
    I think the Reds are looking to get back on the map. Shogo, first Japanese sign, helps get them back on the map. Lindor helps them get back on the map. Talking National TV games, becoming a feature team for awhile

IMO this is about more than being a better baseball team, although that too. My guess is they are all over Lindor but it’s a dance with Indians, probably asking for the moon.

Other shortstops would help, no doubt, but Reds are probably looking to make a splash. Baez might make a splash although it’s within the division, tough deal to make. Lindor makes a serious splash.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-05-2020 at 02:56 PM.

8. Likes:

redsmetz (01-05-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-05-2020)

He still bangs

Lindor would be huge. He’s a great player and the reds have been connected to him.

But if I had my druthers I’d go after Seager. Easier to peal away from LAD, lower cost, same control, not a huge difference in WAR if you get a whole season.

I’d be tickled with either, but if Reds are talking to Cleveland, I have a hard time believing they aren’t also talking to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Lindor would be huge. He’s a great player and the reds have been connected to him.

But if I had my druthers I’d go after Seager. Easier to peal away from LAD, lower cost, same control, not a huge difference in WAR if you get a whole season.

I’d be tickled with either, but if Reds are talking to Cleveland, I have a hard time believing they aren’t also talking to LA.
    I wouldn't be so sure Seager will be easier to pry away. They are dangling him for Lindor and Betts but I don't think they would be interested in a package of prospects for him or be interested in Senzel and/or Winker

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-06-2020),REDREAD (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    So the Reds should just fold up shop then? If every good player is too good for them, then what's the point?
    The point is that in the Cincinnati market, you pick one guy and empty the bank to sign him. Unfortunately, Joey Votto is that guy at the moment. In New York or Boston or L.A., they can afford to pay several players Joey Votto money. The real problem is that Lindor will still be hauling in $30+ million when he’s no longer the best SS in baseball.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The point is that in the Cincinnati market, you pick one guy and empty the bank to sign him. Unfortunately, Joey Votto is that guy at the moment. In New York or Boston or L.A., they can afford to pay several players Joey Votto money. The real problem is that Lindor will still be hauling in $30+ million when he’s no longer the best SS in baseball.
    I have no problem with that argument (even if I disagree with it).

I take exception to:

Lindor is a superstar, he won’t re-sign to play in Ohio anyways. He’s bigger than that.
    My point is, why even field a team if you don't feel that it is worthy of a superstar player?

You don't go into a Lindor deal worrying about him re-signing. Lindor is not a 1yr rental, he has two years of control remaining. On the remote chance they can swing a deal for him, they do so with outlook that you've landed an elite talent at a position that has become a flea market for the Reds of late. You try hard to compete those two seasons. If it isn't working the second season, you flip him at the trade deadline for one very solid piece or hold onto him and tender a QO.

In the meantime, Jose Garcia starts this season in AA and splits 2021 between Chattanooga & L'ville then takes over SS in 22 (if Lindor is dealt at the 21 deadline, maybe Garcia is ready to step in then), leaving you to spend the Lindor $$$ elsewhere.

It may not come about that neatly (never does), but if you deal for FL, you do so with a similar mindset, IMO.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-05-2020 at 08:36 PM.

15. Likes:

Benihana (01-06-2020),Bob Sheed (01-05-2020),marcshoe (01-05-2020),OesterPoster (01-06-2020),Old school 1983 (01-06-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the Reds are looking to get back on the map. Shogo, first Japanese sign, helps get them back on the map. Lindor helps them get back on the map. Talking National TV games, becoming a feature team for awhile

IMO this is about more than being a better baseball team, although that too. My guess is they are all over Lindor but it’s a dance with Indians, probably asking for the moon.

Other shortstops would help, no doubt, but Reds are probably looking to make a splash. Baez might make a splash although it’s within the division, tough deal to make. Lindor makes a serious splash.
    I definitely think that’s why they’re going for him and not a comparable player like Story who has similar numbers but maybe doesn’t have the star power Lindor does.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think dealing Kluber was the equivalent of the Reds getting rid of Bailey. He didn't contribute anything to last year's 93 win team. It was probably a salary dump, but it doesn't signal a punt.
    Huh? Kluber and Bailey are nowhere close to the same thing. While Kluber wasn’t great in a meager 35 innings coming back from injury Homer had 3 straight years of injuries that piled up and 220 innings of suck to go with it.

Kluber is a 2X Cy Young Winner with 33 War in 1340 innings over 9 seasons. He compares closest to Gerrit Cole.

Homer has 6 war in 1400 innings (13 seasons) and compares closest to Scott Feldman.

No one who is “going for it” dumps Kluber for nothing. While ANYONE would be happen to dump Homer and that contract. This is an apples to German Shepherds comparison.

18. Likes:

Crumbley (01-07-2020),Griffey012 (01-07-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-05-2020),RedTeamGo! (01-06-2020)

It's likely the Indians, or any other trade partners, are going to want to see some on field performance by Senzel and/or Winker in the next few weeks before agreeing to any type of trade involving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I believe the Front Office is aiming high. I see the Shogo signing as much for versatility as frontline star power. It allows them to spend Senzel (&/or Winker) in a deal for a big SS upgrade (Lindor, Seager, Story, Siemen, etc.) and still have CF covered allowing them to add a corner OF if they are so inclined. If Senzel &/or Winker stay, Shogo has the kind of 3-position versatility that allows him to easily be folded into the existing mix.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-05-2020 at 08:53 PM.

21. Likes:

Frank Robinson (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think dealing Kluber was the equivalent of the Reds getting rid of Bailey. He didn't contribute anything to last year's 93 win team. It was probably a salary dump, but it doesn't signal a punt.
    That’s an odd take and an odd like by Tribe Guy. Other than Homer Bailey is not Corey Kluber, that’s all I got.

Nothing personal, if someone thinks I’m (or my take is) odd that’s ok.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Huh? Kluber and Bailey are nowhere close to the same thing. While Kluber wasn’t great in a meager 35 innings coming back from injury Homer had 3 straight years of injuries that piled up and 220 innings of suck to go with it.

Kluber is a 2X Cy Young Winner with 33 War in 1340 innings over 9 seasons. He compares closest to Gerrit Cole.

Homer has 6 war in 1400 innings (13 seasons) and compares closest to Scott Feldman.

No one who is “going for it” dumps Kluber for nothing. While ANYONE would be happen to dump Homer and that contract. This is an apples to German Shepherds comparison.
    I'm not saying they had the same career, I'm saying both are guys who were hurt and contributed nothing the previous season and its questionable that they would contribute anything this year. They were in the last year of a contract that pays them a significant amount of money for its final season. In Kluber's case, the Indians won 93 games last year without him. Moving him isn't subtracting anything from that team and doesn't signal anything about them punting the 2020 season. That's how its the same. The Reds dealing Bailey didn't mean they'd given up. The Indians dealing Kluber doesn't mean that either.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-06-2020 at 04:41 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?