Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Re: Reds are supposedly in talks with Tribe over Lindor

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Cubs traded Gleyber Torres for 2 months of Aroldis Chapman. Yankees got other pieces as well.
    6 months after we traded him to the Yankees for absolutely nothing. Still burns my heart.

That offseason alone set this organization back 5 years. The offseason of Eric Jagielo, Scott Schebler, and Alfredo Rodriguez.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2020),REDREAD (10-12-2020),RedsFanInMS (10-08-2020),Spanky (10-08-2020),TeamSelig (10-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't get it.

We want the Reds front office to resemble Oakland or Tampa Bay but at the same time we want to make a trade that neither one of those clubs would consider making.
    I don't want this FO to resemble Oakland or Tampa until they have an organization that can actually develop talent.

I would love for the Reds to be like those teams but until they prove they can actually produce talented teams from their farms it's pointless. Maybe it's getting there, maybe we see Stephenson and Garcia and some others start to blossom but for the past 10 years it's been almost non-existent.

5. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (10-08-2020),REDREAD (10-12-2020)

I don't think that's close. I'm guessing Garcia, Hunter Greene and Jonathon India might get te conversation started.
    Greene has to be off limits IMO. I'm not sure what his career will look like in Cincinnati but I can't imagine having to stomach watching him develop in that Cleveland system that has been spitting out elite SPs like sunflower seeds. They'll turn him into Doc 2.0

My hope for Greene is to get him working with Derek Johnson full time ASAP. Hopefully that happens at some point before the end of 2021.

7. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2020)

Cubs traded Gleyber Torres for 2 months of Aroldis Chapman. Yankees got other pieces as well.
    That was a Theo deal to the T. He knew what he was doing and he paid a premium to get his guy. I don't think Epstein went to Chicago to build that club from the bottom up at all, he went to end the drought just like he did in Boston. Only big market clubs make deals like that. Good thing it paid off and they won. I imagine that backlash if they hadn't, with both Chapman and Torres in pinstripes the next year would have been harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Name one trade for a one year in rental in recent history that cost anything like that
    RedsZone sometimes feels like the overcorrection from the old mlb message board trade ideas. Instead of cobbling chaff for stars, they’re always convinced we have to start the negotiation with 80% of our top 5 prospects just to avoid being laughed out of the room.

If the Indians are asking for a kings ransom for Lindor I don't think they'll get it. I am convinced they will have an astronomical asking price this offseason and take the risk of not moving him before the season starts. They will then end up getting a smaller package at the TDL or just taking the comp pick, unless of course they decide to sign him.

1. That was not as big a price as Greene, Garcia and India. That was one top prospect. You are training 3. Well, 2 in Garcia and Greene, and one decent prospect in India. It seems like a higher price because Torres has a good rookie year (not so good sophomore year) but he was the 46th best prospect in MLB at the time of the trade. He easily could have been a bust, and still can be, if his 2020 is reflective of his future.

2. The Cubs had a much deeper farm system to trade from at the time that the Reds currently do. Your trade would decimate the Reds system, put them back years, all for a one year chance at competing.

3. Teams pay more at the deadline because they know where they are in terms of competing than they do in the off season. The Reds trading for Lindor now is a huge risk. The Cubs trading for Chapman was not a risk at the time.

4. Many consider that trade as an example of a being a huge overpay.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    RedsZone sometimes feels like the overcorrection from the old mlb message board trade ideas. Instead of cobbling chaff for stars, they’re always convinced we have to start the negotiation with 80% of our top 5 prospects just to avoid being laughed out of the room.
    The national media usually acts like this, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Greene has to be off limits IMO. I'm not sure what his career will look like in Cincinnati but I can't imagine having to stomach watching him develop in that Cleveland system that has been spitting out elite SPs like sunflower seeds. They'll turn him into Doc 2.0

My hope for Greene is to get him working with Derek Johnson full time ASAP. Hopefully that happens at some point before the end of 2021.
    I think he's off limits too, but if we want Lindor, that's what it will take IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

1. That was not as big a price as Greene, Garcia and India. That was one top prospect. You are training 3. Well, 2 in Garcia and Greene, and one decent prospect in India. It seems like a higher price because Torres has a good rookie year (not so good sophomore year) but he was the 46th best prospect in MLB at the time of the trade. He easily could have been a bust, and still can be, if his 2020 is reflective of his future.

2. The Cubs had a much deeper farm system to trade from at the time that the Reds currently do. Your trade would decimate the Reds system, put them back years, all for a one year chance at competing.

3. Teams pay more at the deadline because they know where they are in terms of competing than they do in the off season. The Reds trading for Lindor now is a huge risk. The Cubs trading for Chapman was not a risk at the time.

4. Many consider that trade as an example of a being a huge overpay.
    Torres was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball. These reds guys are on the fringes of the top 100. If Torres was a prospect today, I'd deal Garcia, India and Greene for him. I wouldn't pay that price for Lindor, but if I were the Indians, I'd just keep Lindor and make another run at winning unless I'm bowled over.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

JBChance (10-10-2020)

With the minors shutdown following his injury, I really think people forget just how valuable Hunter Greene is and how high his ceiling is.

I'm not giving him up for one year of anyone.

17. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2020),goreds2 (10-09-2020),JFLegal (10-08-2020),marcshoe (10-08-2020),ochoa30 (10-11-2020),RedsManRick (10-09-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),Ron Madden (10-08-2020),SirFelixCat (10-10-2020),The Operator (10-08-2020),Tuff Nut (10-09-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-08-2020)

Torres was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball. These reds guys are on the fringes of the top 100. If Torres was a prospect today, I'd deal Garcia, India and Greene for him. I wouldn't pay that price for Lindor, but if I were the Indians, I'd just keep Lindor and make another run at winning unless I'm bowled over.
    At the time of the trade he was a ranked #34 by BP. He was only 19 years old at the time, years away from the majors. He easily could have have been a flop.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...son-prospects/

Trading Garcia, Greene and India for the 34th best prospect, a 19 year old, is a really dumb move.
    Last edited by 757690; 10-09-2020 at 12:34 AM.

At the time of the trade he was a ranked #34 by BP. He was only 19 years old at the time, years away from the majors. He easily could have have been a flop.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/p...son-prospects/

Trading Garcia, Greene and India for the 34th best prospect, a 19 year old, is a really dumb move.
    Unless your just looking at the pre-season list and not actually paying attention to what is going on. Torres was in those areas pre-2016. By mid-season he'd risen up the list. He was number 5 by pre-2017 and had shot up the list by mid-2016. If, for example, the reds could deal those three guys for 19year old Wander Franco or I'd probably do that. I don't think that deal would be available and I wouldn't trade them for a rental

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    With the minors shutdown following his injury, I really think people forget just how valuable Hunter Greene is and how high his ceiling is.

I'm not giving him up for one year of anyone.
    I feel similarly about Jonathan India. Not quite the prospect Hunter Greene is, true, but sometimes India’s viewed as an easy give up.

Still only age 23, Number 5 pick in MLB, SEC Player of the Year, versatile, powerful. Was so-so in FSL a tough league for power guys, but still a very high quality prospect.

Not untradable but has a good chance to be an above average starting player for years to come at low cost for awhile.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-09-2020 at 07:31 AM.

21. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-09-2020)

Unless your just looking at the pre-season list and not actually paying attention to what is going on. Torres was in those areas pre-2016. By mid-season he'd risen up the list. He was number 5 by pre-2017 and had shot up the list by mid-2016. If, for example, the reds could deal those three guys for 19year old Wander Franco or I'd probably do that. I don't think that deal would be available and I wouldn't trade them for a rental
    I provided a link to the Baseball Prospectus 2016 mid season rankings, where he was the 34th best prospect. That was done weeks before the trade. Baseball American had him right around the same place.

So no, he was not a top 5 prospect at the time, he was a mid top 100 prospect. It wasn’t until after the trade, after the season that he blossomed into a top 5 prospect.

Turn Off Ads?