13 22.03%
  • RHRP Joel Kuhnel

10 16.95%
  • CF Jose Siri

4 6.78%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #10 Prospect???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #10 Prospect???

RHSP'er Lyon Richardson has taken the #9 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 72 HOUR POLL***

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #10 Prospect???

Jose De Leon for me. Primarily a FB/Changeup pitcher. He is a wild card here having pitched very little over the last three seasons, but he was formerly a high ranked prospect that should benefit from Reds coaching (feels good to be able to say that). Both of his most used pitches are swing and miss pitches. If he does not develop a third pitch, he should still make a strong reliever.

3. Likes:

mth123 (12-21-2019)

Surprisingly, I went with DeLeon.

I thought Acosta at the beginning, but had completely discounted DeLeon as a prospect. He was ranked in the upper half of the top 100 prospects two years running and only a full rotation and injury kept him from consistent playing time. Nearly 12 K/9 with just more then 3 BB/9 augers well, as does 7.3 H/9.

As a depth starter/ reliever, he's got a live arm and could be either a sixth starter or a dominant late bullpen arm.

I'd originally planned on picking Acosta here, but he is far away, and I want to see what he can do in full-season ball before making him a Top 10 guy.

I like De Leon, but I also refuse to vote for a 27 yr old "prospect" who made his MLB debut over 3 years ago. He's technically eligible, but not by my standards.

Going with Callihan here. He has legit power, but his hit tool and plate discipline will need to keep up. Good overall defensive tools as well. Sounds kind of like the guy Reds paid to play 2B for the next 4 seasons.
    Last edited by Mitri; 12-20-2019 at 08:33 AM.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (12-20-2019),Edd Roush (12-20-2019),ochoa30 (12-20-2019),texasdave (12-20-2019),Tom Servo (12-20-2019)

JDL for me but I do agree with Mitri. I felt the same way last year about Connor Joe.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I went with Kuhnel based on level and stuff. And #10 is about the time to start looking at minor league relievers (I generally don't take them seriously as legit prospects). Could easily have gone with Friedl, Hinds, Callihan here as well.

Also, could we please add Ivan Johnson as a choice? Reds 4th round pick in 2019 has a nice hit tool. Ranked #14 by MLB Pipeline.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    And #10 is about the time to start looking at minor league relievers
    Why?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why?
    Almost all good major league relievers are guys who were starter prospects at one time, but fell into a relief role at higher levels. Guys who are developed as relievers were never good enough to start in the first place, so I find their ceilings to be quite limited.

Witness just in the past few seasons: Garrett, Iglesias, Reed, Sims, Lorenzen, and Stephenson went from starting prospects to relievers. Weiss and Herget who were relief prospects from the start came up and were ejected rather quickly.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-20-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Almost all good major league relievers are guys who were starter prospects at one time, but fell into a relief role at higher levels. Guys who are developed as relievers were never good enough to start in the first place, so I find their ceilings to be quite limited.
    Right I get that part. I just don’t get the logic that #10 is a good time to start voting for minor league relievers. It’s still gonna be a little bit before getting to that point.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Right I get that part. I just don’t get the logic that #10 is a good time to start voting for minor league relievers. It’s still gonna be a little bit before getting to that point.
    No logic behind it. Just my subjective opinion.

Callihan Auto Parts all day

I swear I’ve seen a lot of stuff in my life, but that was...awesome. But sorry about your car, man. That.... that sucks.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I got Rece Hinds. Seems to have the most upside potential. Callihan other option but concerned about defensive ability.

I've been voting Hinds for a few rounds. I like the power potential with his bat.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I've been voting Hinds for a few rounds. I like the power potential with his bat.
    I certainly think its close between him and Callihan. Both guys seem to have about equal value in my eyes.

Kuhnel can hit 100 and has a chance to be a major player in the Reds pen this year.

I don't of think relievers as failed starters. If they weren't any good they would suck in the bullpen too. What most relievers are is limited - control issues or limited repertoire but good relievers have very good pitches but not the 3 or4 needed to start and make it through a lineup multiple times. Relievers are also valuable as heck - in today's game a good argument could be made that they are as important as starters. Kuhnel (and Hendrix) both have a good chance of being valuable additions. Probably a much better chance than Callihan or Hinds have of being everyday payers in the majors. I understand the "ceiling" vote and agree wit hit, I just think Kuhnel has a pretty good ceiling, too, as a lockdown closer (I'm not saying he'll be one but the ceiling is there with him). I'll be on Callihan and Hinds really soon but I went with the despised reliever prospect here.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?