Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Betts OR Lindor?

Betts OR Lindor?

So both are "available" and both are franchise changing players. But they will cost us quite a bit. Obviously Mookie will be a little less costly in terms of prospects but if you have to choose one or the other to go all in on for 2020, who do you choose?

I ask because I honestly don't know who I'd choose with both being positional needs for us and also the cost to acquire them vs. how long we'd have them before they sign with the Yankees, Dodgers, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Betts OR Lindor?

If getting Betts lets us keep Senzel, Betts.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-21-2019),DocRed (12-20-2019),HammerTime (12-21-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-20-2019),wolfboy (12-20-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-20-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

How about Betts AND Lindor?

6. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (12-20-2019)

Pete Rose would advocate for Betts.

Too soon?

8. Likes:

Ben Zinger (12-21-2019),Norm Chortleton (12-20-2019),Red Raindog (12-21-2019),reds77 (12-20-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (12-20-2019),WrongVerb (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    How about Betts AND Lindor?
    That'd be fantastic but the whole point of the question was choosing one or the other.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Both would be pretty freakin’ fantastic although the cost of acquiring both is scary.

Betts/Lindor/Suarez/Moustakas/a hopefully resurgent Votto would be pretty fearsome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Betts

Betts.

That second year of Lindor would cost too much.

2021 would be better, but 2022-2025 and beyond would be much worse.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

BuckWild03 (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Betts.

That second year of Lindor would cost too much.

2021 would be better, but 2022-2025 and beyond would be much worse.
    I keep seeing people say the team would basically go back to the stone ages after the two years of Lindor are up and I just don't get it. We have two drafts to stockpile talent, and the 20 million he'll make in 2021 freed up to spend on other players in 2022.

16. Likes:

BuckWild03 (12-20-2019),Fil3232 (12-20-2019),marcshoe (12-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I keep seeing people say the team would basically go back to the stone ages after the two years of Lindor are up and I just don't get it. We have two drafts to stockpile talent, and the 20 million he'll make in 2021 freed up to spend on other players in 2022.
    If the Reds are winning, those draft picks won’t be worth much, and regardless, they’ll take many years to develop. Senzel as was drafted in 2016 and was considered extremely advanced. Ty Stephenson was drafted a year earlier.

The Key is that the Reds will be without Senzel, who was supposed to be the “Votto“ of the next six seasons, plus other top prospects. Go to the minor league prospect poll and you’ll see the Reds don’t have much coming down the line. They can’t afford to trade the farm and have continued success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If the Reds are winning, those draft picks won’t be worth much, and regardless, they’ll take many years to develop. Senzel as was drafted in 2016 and was considered extremely advanced. Ty Stephenson was drafted a year earlier.

The Key is that the Reds will be without Senzel, who was supposed to be the “Votto“ of the next six seasons, plus other top prospects. Go to the minor league prospect poll and you’ll see the Reds don’t have much coming down the line. They can’t afford to trade the farm and have continued success.
    I don't understand your stance on the draft pick position, not being worth much. Yeah, if the Reds are winning their pick will not be as high, but that by no means that it will not become a contributing MLB player. Not all top 5 picks are sure things....I knows you know that.

I agree with you that Betts would be the better get.
    Last edited by Tuff Nut; 12-20-2019 at 09:03 PM.

If the Reds were to take Price off the Red Sox hands would Xander Bogaerts 6/$120M be available to come with him?
    Then flip Price and a Minor leaguer for another OF.

Is this when the richest 1%er of all time buys the team and dumps every available resource he ever had into making the Reds the most feared team of all time instead of getting sold to a guy with a produce stand somewhere in town?

Votto is not "resurging"...

That's not how age works.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?