Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign David Carpenter to a Minor League Deal

Re: Reds sign David Carpenter (to minor league deal)

To actually say something about Carpenter, he had an impressive season in 2019 in a tough environment for pitchers (the PCL). 1.63 ERA with 42 strikeouts in 38.2 innings.

Wouldn't be shocked if he won a bullpen spot with a good spring if the new pitching regime is high on him, but that's easier said than done.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Powel Crosley (12-21-2019),Revering4Blue (12-22-2019),Ron Madden (12-21-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign David Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    It was a good one too. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea that a minor-league contract given to a 34 year-old pitcher with 6 years of MLB service belongs in a minor league forum AND how it's supposed to entice folks over to that forum to vote on prospects.

On what date will we be voting for Reds prospect #372?
    And yet here you are, emerging from your winter husk to contribute...this.

We're on prospect number ten by the way.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    And yet here you are, emerging from your winter husk to contribute...this.

We're on prospect number ten by the way.
    Actually, I opened up the thread because I recognized the name "David Carpenter" as being a Major League contributor from a few years back and was curious about the signing. In fact, I appreciate that klw would post a thread about it, and respect the time and research he put into posting it. It's an interesting comeback story for a guy who actually posted decent numbers in the Show last time around.

I then saw repeated attempts to derail the thread starting with post #2, which resulted in someone getting some egg on their face. I'm gonna' reserve the right to have a little fun with that. Pardon me for posting the same thing as Patrick while using fewer words. I'm glad you're having fun with the voting in the minors, but do I really have to explain that posting "Prospect #372" is equal to saying "David Carpenter isn't a prospect?"

Jeezuz...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

6. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (12-21-2019),Revering4Blue (12-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I, for one, am glad the Reds were able to hammer out a deal with Carpenter. They’ve been nailing it this offseason.
    I hope having Carpenter in the fold encourages them to bring Wood back for Spring Training. With Broddy's aid, Carpenter could help Wood find his groove and on the level going into the season. I'd be lathe to bet against Wood grabbing that rosin bag for the local 9 next season.
    Last edited by klw; 12-21-2019 at 03:53 PM.

I’ve enjoyed Redszone on a daily basis for the past 17 years; lots of great stuff here, and some things not so great. The direction and pettiness of this thread in particular, exemplifies most of what’s not so great. A simple faux pas, and the tone becomes akin to a parents’ reprimand of a child. Not enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

9. Likes:

bm1475 (12-22-2019),jimbo (12-22-2019)

its because the team is so bad,, the pettiness is inversely proportional to the aptitude of the team

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    I’ve enjoyed Redszone on a daily basis for the past 17 years; lots of great stuff here, and some things not so great. The direction and pettiness of this thread in particular, exemplifies most of what’s not so great. A simple faux pas, and the tone becomes akin to a parents’ reprimand of a child. Not enjoyable.
    I keep coming back to this thread and can’t believe this “argument” is still going on. ��

12. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (12-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread and can’t believe this “argument” is still going on. ��
    How will we explain this thread to David Carpenter's son?

Yes this may not be an original joke

For what it is worth, I don't think folks should be giving Kinsm a hard time over this. He is a moderator and chose to moderate. The moderators can and should make suggestions as to threads.
    Last edited by klw; 12-21-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How will we explain this thread to David Carpenter!s son?

Knot a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I am a mod.

You’re not a mod. Rod Stewart was a mod. You’re a rocker.

I am a mod.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-25-2019),Revering4Blue (12-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I, for one, am glad the Reds were able to hammer out a deal with Carpenter. They’ve been nailing it this offseason.
    I like the signing as well. I just can’t believe they didn’t announce it on their minor league page.

19. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (12-22-2019)

I am a mod.
    Is there just one of you or is there an entire Mod Squad?
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Any guy who's invited to major league camp is deserving of a thread here. That's how I would have answered this MOD's question.

As for David Carpenter, I consider it a long shot that he contributes anything of significance (positive WAR) to the Reds this yr but what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    How will we explain this thread to David Carpenter's son?

Perhaps it's time to start asking how David Carpenter will explain this to his dad?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

23. Likes:

Big Klu (12-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?