17 36.17%
  • RHRP Joel Kuhnel

9 19.15%
  • CF Jose Siri

1 2.13%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #11 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #11 Prospect???

2B Tyler Callihan has taken the #10 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 96 HOUR POLL***

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #11 Prospect???

Hinds and Callihan were always destined to go back-to-back since they are essentially the same prospect. Then I'll have to choose between De Leon, Friedl, and Siri.

I'll probably be ready to vote for Miguel Hernandez in a few picks (purely as a post-hype sleeper). I reckon Packy Naughton gets added soon. In the past I've felt like I could rank about 50 prospects--this year I want to rank about 25, max...

4. Likes:

DocRed (12-25-2019),Edd Roush (12-23-2019)

Naughton's a sleeper. His stuff isn't as good as his results, but his stuff may just be good enough to stick as a starter.

That said, I went De Leon for past dominance, pedigree, nearness to the majors, and upside.

He's a former top 100 prospect, and that carries quite a bit of weight this low in the rankings.

I'm on him until he's picked, then I have a choice between upside (Acosta, Hinds, Ivan Johnson), help (Kuhnel, Hendrix), and closeness (Friedl, Naughton).

Voted De Leon for the same reasons as last time and probably the same reasons as the next two times. Over time I have become skeptical of NL prospects with little track record and no clear position profile. Maybe I have witnessed too many flameouts.

7. Likes:

mth123 (12-24-2019)

Deleon. See previous tow posts for reasons.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quick note on Hinds: I hope he pans out, but he's barely played professional ball at all. I will note there's less than six months difference in age between him and Acosta, and I sincerely doubt he could put up the kind of numbers Acosta just did at the same levels. Just IMO, we're leaning way too much on draft slot and bonus.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Quick note on Hinds: I hope he pans out, but he's barely played professional ball at all. I will note there's less than six months difference in age between him and Acosta, and I sincerely doubt he could put up the kind of numbers Acosta just did at the same levels. Just IMO, we're leaning way too much on draft slot and bonus.
    Rece Hinds had like a ridiculous 2.000 OPS in his senior year of highschool, why do you think he wouldn't have hit well against 16 year old Dominicans?

NOTE: I'LL BE CLOSING THIS POLL EARLY TONIGHT - SINCE I STARTED IT SO LATE SUNDAY EVENING.

Since the poll won't allow me to choose hours instead of days, it's the only way to get the next poll to end when I need it to this Sunday evening.

SO GET YOUR VOTE IN NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Rece Hinds had like a ridiculous 2.000 OPS in his senior year of highschool, why do you think he wouldn't have hit well against 16 year old Dominicans?
    Because the DSL isn't just 16 year-olds and is way above any high school league in the U.S. Acosta also hit .370/.396/.478 in the AZL. Small sample, but if a Hinds or Callihan had done that, we'd be gushing over him. And all three of them are age 19.

Because the DSL isn't just 16 year-olds and is way above any high school league in the U.S. Acosta also hit .370/.396/.478 in the AZL. Small sample, but if a Hinds or Callihan had done that, we'd be gushing over him. And all three of them are age 19.
    You're right, it's filled with 17, 18, 19, and 20 year old Dominicans who will never play in the states too.

Hinds performed well in all of the competitions he was in against the best players in the country too.

It was 10 games and he carried a .500 BaBIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    You're right, it's filled with 17, 18, 19, and 20 year old Dominicans who will never play in the states too.

Hinds performed well in all of the competitions he was in against the best players in the country too.

It was 10 games and he carried a .500 BaBIP.
    By any estimation, the DSL is populated by more kids who will play pro ball in the states by an outrageously high factor compared to any HS league (which is where Hinds posted that 2.000 OPS). Hinds has skills. They got him drafted. Acosta's the same age, also has skills, and has put them on display. You can "but DSL" until the cows come home, but if we're onto Hinds then DSL starts looking pretty good in terms of level of play.

Are you kidding? Acosta is a year and a half older than league average, was repeating the league, and had less than 200 abs. And this was in the DSL. There is no video to be found and very little information. This guy is not even top 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Are you kidding? Acosta is a year and a half older than league average, was repeating the league, and had less than 200 abs. And this was in the DSL. There is no video to be found and very little information. This guy is not even top 30.
    The Reds have been in the DSL since 2006 and no one's put up a season remotely close to what Acosta did. What he did is off the charts. I get wanting him to do it for a full season in the states. Yet we're looking at a pack of maybe relievers. I'll take the kid who did something totally outrageous.

And you're leaning way too much on a DSL Stat line. There is literally no other information out there on Acosta. At least we can watch video and read professional scouting reports from various sources on Hinds to arrive at a conclusion. The only data point for Acosta is DSL stats that are not predictive of future performance.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

The Reds have been in the DSL since 2006 and no one's put up a season remotely close to what Acosta did. What he did is off the charts. I get wanting him to do it for a full season in the states. Yet we're looking at a pack of maybe relievers. I'll take the kid who did something totally outrageous.
    Players have, you just keep ignoring them. They all put up a wRC+ in the DSL higher than Acosta. Nunez hit over .400 too with a ridiculous SLG, better K/BB rate, and he bottomed out in 2019 against better competition. Mature bodies can do crazy things in the DSL. That being said, I don't even know if Acosta has a mature body because there is no info on him.

Malcolm Nunez - 2018
    Vicente Lupo - 2012
    Kelvin Diaz - 2006
    Brian Sanchez - 2016
    Jose Augusto Figueroa - 2012
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Turn Off Ads?