Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

Re: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

I, personally, love the idea of an electronic strike zone. I never liked how much control these egotistical home plate umpires had over a game

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-23-2019),goldglover9 (12-24-2019),KYExtemper (01-15-2020),mth123 (12-24-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Robot umps will be a dagger in the heart of baseball. Maybe not "the" dagger, but it will be "a" dagger.

Even things like instant replay in baseball... It just doesn't seem right.

Why does baseball have to be perfect?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

redsfanmia (12-24-2019)

It doesn't have to be perfect but it should be fair and the outcome of every game should be decided by the play of the players on the field.

7. Likes:

goldglover9 (12-24-2019),mth123 (12-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Replay has proven the human eye and reactions is not perfect. And robots don’t have emotion, which we’ve all seen on strike 3 calls that are made simply because he hit the mitt where the catcher had it.

Modern TV graphics of the strike zone are showing how bad or inconsistent balls and strikes calls are, and maybe they are having to admit that.

And don’t give me this “human” element crap. Fair is fair and foul is foul. Neighborhood play at second was a joke. A ball that is one inch off the plate should not be a strike, period. The strike zone should be the same regardless of the human but that is impossible. We have pitcher friendly ump and a hitter friendly umps. Wrong!

I guess I’m old enough to remember the Eric Gregg ridiculousness in the playoffs and the calls that Braves pitchers got throughout the 90’s, and that was before we had HDTV.

My view is this: If Wimbeldon, which is one of the most traditional sacred sports entities around adopts technology like this, MLB should too.
    the only humans in the phrase "human element" that should be effecting games are the owners, scouts, trainers, coaches, managers and players. In other words ones who are with a specific team.

I’m beginning to think Bob Sheed is Joe West. Or maybe CB Bucknor.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I’m beginning to think Bob Sheed is Joe West. Or maybe CB Bucknor.
    That's fair, I guess. As a Reds fan, I actually agree with getting rid of the human element in regard to officiating.

But as a baseball fan, that's where my disagreement stems from.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That's fair, I guess. As a Reds fan, I actually agree with getting rid of the human element in regard to officiating.

But as a baseball fan, that's where my disagreement stems from.
    Getting calls correctly isn’t going to kill baseball, unless you just love seeing umpires affect game outcomes instead of being mostly invisible like they should be.

As far as Reds Fan/Baseball Fan, I’m not really sure how you separate those two. If you want the calls to be correct as a Reds fan, aren’t you implicitly agreeing with the fact that umpires are bad at their job? Why then, as a baseball fan, would you want them to continue negatively impacting outcomes?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

The only reason this would be a negative is if it slows the game down. The Astros just demonstrated that there's nothing in the standard pitch sequence that requires the game to be slowed down. Until I see an argument for why an objective fact should worse than a subjective truth, how can there be a downside?

15. Likes:

REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjection19 View Post
    The only reason this would be a negative is if it slows the game down. The Astros just demonstrated that there's nothing in the standard pitch sequence that requires the game to be slowed down. Until I see an argument for why an objective fact should worse than a subjective truth, how can there be a downside?
    Feels like I've posted something similar 100 times.

They will either have to:

1. change the current definition of the top and bottom of the strike zone
    2. or still rely on the human element; in the form of some tech guy instead of an ump

I agree with wanting the human element. I am going to miss those arguments over balls/strikes calls where players get ejected and teams are forced to change their strategy because players get tossed. It has always been a part of the game and I will miss it. And I could care less that tennis has adopted automatic calls. They cannot make tennis more boring if they tried. The entertainment factor in tennis always came from the arguments by the players.

Regardless, even though the umps have agreed, it may take several years for the new tracking system to get implemented and calibrated. Doug has an article up on Redlegnation that explains all the details.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 12-24-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I agree with wanting the human element. I am going to miss those arguments over balls/strikes calls where players get ejected and teams are forced to change their strategy because players get tossed. It has always been a part of the game and I will miss it. And I could care less that tennis has adopted automatic calls. They cannot make tennis more boring if they tried. The entertainment factor in tennis always came from the arguments by the players.

Regardless, even though the umps have agreed, it may take several years for the new tracking system to get implemented and calibrated. Doug has an article up on Redlegnation that explains all the details.
    I would kind of argue the opposite on the ejections over balls and strikes. I will not miss Joey Votto being ejected because the umpire didn't like how he adjusted his pants after his bad strike 2 call and proceeds to call strike 3 four inches outside then chirps at him on the way back to the dugout until he takes the bait at which point he's ejected.

What I will miss is the art of pitch framing and "great pitch handlers". It will probably result in the catching position go more toward hitting

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    What I will miss is the art of pitch framing and "great pitch handlers". It will probably result in the catching position go more toward hitting
    That's a salient point.

The Kyle Schwarbers of the world could stick behind the plate, belting 40 HR seasons as part-time DHs too.

I'd much prefer fewer automatic outs in a lineup, all things considered.

YMMV

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I would kind of argue the opposite on the ejections over balls and strikes. I will not miss Joey Votto being ejected because the umpire didn't like how he adjusted his pants after his bad strike 2 call and proceeds to call strike 3 four inches outside then chirps at him on the way back to the dugout until he takes the bait at which point he's ejected.

What will really be fun is the first time the automatic strike zone disagrees with Joey Votto.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    What will really be fun is the first time the automatic strike zone disagrees with Joey Votto.

24. Likes:

Chip R (12-29-2019)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I wrote a lot about this over at Redleg Nation: https://redlegnation.com/2019/12/23/...ed-strikezone/

But I think there's a lot to this whole thing that a lot of people and places aren't talking about at all. This is likely years and year and years away from happening, and for more than a few different reasons, too. The headline gets people excited (or in a few cases, angry) - but it's going to be a while before we see this happening in the Major Leagues.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?