Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

Re: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    In the case of umpiring?

It absolutely is.

There is no question about it, in fact.

Your sole job, as an umpire, is to be perfect in your judgment.

The game that I love does not depend on an umpire's peccadilloes, how much he hates rookies, or whether he ate too much before the game. It's about the two teams who play it, not Jerry West behind the catcher.
    Perfection is overrated, when this happens most will agree.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Final score, Reds vs Cardinals August 15, 2023:

Reds 45
    Cardinals 42
    Game time: 7 hrs 34 minutes

But it was "perfect".
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

Crumbley (01-26-2020),North (01-25-2020),redsfanmia (01-25-2020),texasdave (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Final score, Reds vs Cardinals August 15, 2023:

Reds 45
    Cardinals 42
    Game time: 7 hrs 34 minutes

But it was "perfect".
    I’m happy I’m not alone in thinking this is a death nail in the game, I’m probably overreacting but I think this is a horrible mistake. Analytics has already sucked most of the joy from the game for me, this will probably suck the rest of it away.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-25-2020),Crumbley (01-26-2020),North (01-25-2020)

Haunted by walks

We might get more rookie stars, who as of now haven’t “earned” the veteran zone. Votto might hit .400. No pitch framing, which is the soccer flopping of baseball.

Baseball will live up to its reputation as a precise, beautifully balanced game, instead of one where every play is nearly as subjective as rhythmic gymnastics or ice dancing.

I for one welcome our robot strike-callers.

9. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020),cincinnati chili (01-25-2020),Edd Roush (01-25-2020),goldglover9 (01-25-2020),Ron Madden (01-25-2020),The Operator (01-25-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I have kind of changed my mind on this topic lately, for the same reason I have changed my mind on other topics.

I hope they let computers call balls and strikes as soon as possible. It'll be one more dagger in the heart of baseball, worst case scenario. And best case scenario, it will introduce, directly or indirectly, some unforeseen byproduct into baseball that changes the sport dramatically.

As I go through life and realize more and more that most people don't tend to look further than one move ahead in regard to decision making, rather than chide them for being so short-sighted, I find greater enjoyment in watching the poop show unfold that is a result of their (or our collective) short-sighted(ness?).

I can't tell you how may times I watch short-sighted decisions morph into crappy and many times surprisingly crappy results, in sports, in politics, at work, everywhere. Might as well try to garner some entertainment from it. So yeah, bring on the "robot umps" or whatever. I'll make sure to stock up on popcorn.

Because what could go wrong? It's just making the game more fair. How could that possibly be a bad thing?
    Even thought I want robo umps I agree with a lot of what you said here about people not thinking more than one step ahead. The league is going to need to pivot quickly if robo umps end up overly favoring hitters or pitchers. The way to do that would be to keep the robo umps in place with a different strike zone. It wouldn’t be the first time in history the strike zone was changed
    Stick to your guns.

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-25-2020)

I want the robot umps.

But I would like everyone to join me in this...

Let's evaluate them fairly after they are put in use in the Major Leagues. If they are awful, I'll want them gone.

It seems they are being tested and honed in enough to warrant use in the Bigs. I will grant them that. I want them. I want them to work well. But hey, let's judge them (and any effects they have) on their own merits once underway.

13. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

Baseball will live up to its reputation as a precise, beautifully balanced game

What?!

Baseball is and has always been the complete opposite of that!
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Haunted by walks

What?!

Baseball is and has always been the complete opposite of that!
    I just read somewhere about how it’s hard to get an infield hit, but it’s just possible. Hard to steal a base but just possible. If the distance from the mound to the plate were anything but 60’ 6” the game would be out of whack. And when it does get out of whack, it gets tweaked back into balance. But the umpires, as I said, mean every play is as subjective as rhythmic gymnastics.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-25-2020),Ron Madden (01-26-2020)

Yes, there somewhere exists a universe where the pitcher's mound was placed a full 62 feet from home plate. That earth sailed out of its orbit and directly into the sun. It's a dangerous game.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I just read somewhere about how it’s hard to get an infield hit, but it’s just possible. Hard to steal a base but just possible. If the distance from the mound to the plate were anything but 60’ 6” the game would be out of whack. And when it does get out of whack, it gets tweaked back into balance. But the umpires, as I said, mean every play is as subjective as rhythmic gymnastics.
    "Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection."

-- Red Smith

That precise distance is key. Ditto the mound to home plate.

I enjoy some vagaries-- the layout of odd outfields or the expanse of foul ball room-- but umpiring should never be one of those.

A strike should always be a strike. For all players at all times. A ball should always be a ball no matter who is hitting. An out and out no matter who is pitching. A hit a hit even if the umpire hates the guy who hits it.

There is no room in the game for the Dave Pallone's of the world.

Or shouldn't be.

19. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-26-2020)

Pedro Gomez
    @pedrogomezESPN
    New for the 2020 MLB season: Much like NFL referees have done for years, umpires will be mic’d up and tell fans in attendance and those watching on television and listening on radio if reviewed calls are upheld or overturned. They may also explain rules, if necessary.

21. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020),Ron Madden (01-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?