Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

What is next robot batters?

Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal
    NEW YORK (AP) — Computer plate umpires could be called up to the major leagues at some point during the next five seasons.

Umpires agreed to cooperate with Major League Baseball in the development and testing of an automated ball-strike system as part of a five-year labor contract announced Saturday, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.
    https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...ew-labor-deal/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Plate Umps Allowed in New Labor Deal

NL DH?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    What is next robot batters?
    Replicants

5. Likes:

North (12-23-2019)

Replay has proven the human eye and reactions is not perfect. And robots don’t have emotion, which we’ve all seen on strike 3 calls that are made simply because he hit the mitt where the catcher had it.

Modern TV graphics of the strike zone are showing how bad or inconsistent balls and strikes calls are, and maybe they are having to admit that.

And don’t give me this “human” element crap. Fair is fair and foul is foul. Neighborhood play at second was a joke. A ball that is one inch off the plate should not be a strike, period. The strike zone should be the same regardless of the human but that is impossible. We have pitcher friendly ump and a hitter friendly umps. Wrong!

I guess I’m old enough to remember the Eric Gregg ridiculousness in the playoffs and the calls that Braves pitchers got throughout the 90’s, and that was before we had HDTV.

My view is this: If Wimbeldon, which is one of the most traditional sacred sports entities around adopts technology like this, MLB should too.

7. Likes:

757690 (12-23-2019),Chip R (12-29-2019),Edd Roush (12-23-2019),goldglover9 (12-23-2019),icehole3 (12-23-2019),KYExtemper (01-15-2020),mbgrayson (12-23-2019),OGB (12-23-2019),Plus Plus (12-23-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-23-2019),Redeyecat (12-23-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019),Ron Madden (12-23-2019),Tomlin8 (12-23-2019),Tuff Nut (12-23-2019),WrongVerb (12-23-2019)

All player skills will just be fed into a computer, and instead of games actually played on the field by humans, we'll instead be watching simulations run through a PlayStation or Xbox. This move will be justified by owners in an effort to protect their million dollar investments in players from injuries.

Stadium attendance will likely take a hit though.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Replay has proven the human eye and reactions is not perfect. And robots don’t have emotion, which we’ve all seen on strike 3 calls that are made simply because he hit the mitt where the catcher had it.

Modern TV graphics of the strike zone are showing how bad or inconsistent balls and strikes calls are, and maybe they are having to admit that.

And don’t give me this “human” element crap. Fair is fair and foul is foul. Neighborhood play at second was a joke. A ball that is one inch off the plate should not be a strike, period. The strike zone should be the same regardless of the human but that is impossible. We have pitcher friendly ump and a hitter friendly umps. Wrong!

I guess I’m old enough to remember the Eric Gregg ridiculousness in the playoffs and the calls that Braves pitchers got throughout the 90’s, and that was before we had HDTV.

My view is this: If Wimbeldon, which is one of the most traditional sacred sports entities around adopts technology like this, MLB should too.
    "Fair is foul, and foul is fair."

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

757690 (12-23-2019),Chip R (12-29-2019),Roy Tucker (12-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    All player skills will just be fed into a computer, and instead of games actually played on the field by humans, we'll instead be watching simulations run through a PlayStation or Xbox. This move will be justified by owners in an effort to protect their million dollar investments in players from injuries.

Stadium attendance will likely take a hit though.
    And people say we don't live in a simulation...

All the real world lessons to be learned, via the analogies of baseball, are being systematically removed for one reason or another.

Next on the chopping block? The imperfect umpire. He teaches us many things. People aren't perfect. Or consistent. Life isn't fair. Don't eyeball authority unless you are challenging said authority. And if you challenge authority, expect consequences that are independent from what's "fair." Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is this: Baseball is imperfect in many ways. Removing these imperfections does not necessarily make the sport better. Many times, quite the opposite.

Remember the Pine Tar Incident? Wasn't it just hilarious when Brett came charging out of the dugout and kicked dirt all over that computer algorithm that detected the precise level of pine tar on Brett's bat? An instant classic!
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

14. Likes:

kpresidente (12-23-2019),Powel Crosley (12-23-2019),Revering4Blue (12-23-2019),texasdave (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    All the real world lessons to be learned, via the analogies of baseball, are being systematically removed for one reason or another.

Next on the chopping block? The imperfect umpire. He teaches us many things. People aren't perfect. Or consistent. Life isn't fair. Don't eyeball authority unless you are challenging said authority. And if you challenge authority, expect consequences that are independent from what's "fair." Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is this: Baseball is imperfect in many ways. Removing these imperfections does not necessarily make the sport better. Many times, quite the opposite.

Remember the Pine Tar Incident? Wasn't it just hilarious when Brett came charging out of the dugout and kicked dirt all over that computer algorithm that detected the precise level of pine tar on Brett's bat? An instant classic!
    Oh, it’s hilarious until its your team that gets hosed by the bad call. I loved the antics of Weaver, Martin or Pinella but did it ever once produce a corrected call?

If one wants to be a Nihlist, then we should destroy advance stats and shifts and everything else that technology has given us.

While we are at it, lets ban othroscopic surgery, Tommy John procedures, batting helmets, you know all of the tech that has ruined the game.

16. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-28-2019),Edd Roush (12-23-2019),Redeyecat (12-23-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019),Ron Madden (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

I don't want to learn any life lessons from umpires. I just want the game's rules applied properly. If a computer is better at doing it, so be it.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-28-2019),Danny Serafini (12-23-2019),Edd Roush (12-23-2019),goldglover9 (12-23-2019),mth123 (12-24-2019),Redeyecat (12-23-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019),Ron Madden (12-23-2019),sjjones (12-23-2019),Tuff Nut (12-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-23-2019)

I’m sure Armando Gallaraga is still so glad he learned a valuable life lesson the day Jim Joyce butchered his perfect game.

Human element arguments are garbage. The players ARE the human element. That’s who I pay to watch.

Sure would be fun to see a guy like Tom Glavine try to pitch without getting 4” off the outside corner on any given day.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

20. Likes:

Danny Serafini (12-23-2019),Edd Roush (12-23-2019),goldglover9 (12-23-2019),KYExtemper (01-15-2020),Redeyecat (12-23-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019),Ron Madden (12-23-2019),smith288 (12-29-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-23-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I’m sure Armando Gallaraga is still so glad he learned a valuable life lesson the day Jim Joyce butchered his perfect game.

Human element arguments are garbage. The players ARE the human element. That’s who I pay to watch.

Sure would be fun to see a guy like Tom Glavine try to pitch without getting 4” off the outside corner on any given day.
    Or to not have to see Joey Votto called out looking for strike 3 on a pitch out of the zone, because he ruffled the umps’ feathers by knowing the zone better than they do.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-23-2019),Redeyecat (12-23-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    "Fair is foul, and foul is fair."

“Small things make base men proud.”

24. Likes:

757690 (12-23-2019),Big Klu (12-24-2019),Chip R (12-29-2019)

“Small things make base men proud.”
    The players “doth protest too much, methinks”.

26. Likes:

757690 (12-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Or to not have to see Joey Votto called out looking for strike 3 on a pitch out of the zone, because he ruffled the umps’ feathers by knowing the zone better than they do.
    Yea, I’d love to know what Joey’s stats could have looked like without umps getting their feelings hurt and jobbing him.

Jesse Winker has been a regular recipient of the life lessons of the human element, also.
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

28. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-23-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?