Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 61 photos of Cincinnati from the 1950's

61 photos of Cincinnati from the 1950's

This was on the Cincinnati Enquirer site. Enjoy!

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-g...-s/2355572002/

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-30-2019),cumberlandreds (12-25-2019),dfs (12-24-2019),Kingspoint (01-02-2020),KronoRed (12-25-2019),Newport Red (12-24-2019),redsmetz (01-03-2020),Roy Tucker (12-27-2019),SunDeck (01-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 61 photos of Cincinnati from the 1950's

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    This was on the Cincinnati Enquirer site. Enjoy!

https://www.cincinnati.com/picture-g...-s/2355572002/
    That's awesome, but I wish they would have attributed the photos. Jack Klumpe and a few others whose names I would like to know provided a lot of images that formed our impressions of Cincinnati during that era.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Re: 61 photos of Cincinnati from the 1950's

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...iew=1up&seq=10

"Historical Collection of Ohio", copyright 1889, collected and written by Henry Howe by walking residence to residence over years, interviewing original inhabitants, many original pioneers, listening to first-hand accounts from those who built the townships. Howe accomplished the same task for New Jersey, I believe, Delaware and another location or two. There were two volumes on Ohio, I believe, this link being just one of them. It isn't edited the way later editions were, so this is a good read.

First-hand doesn't mean accurate, but it's a great source for comparison purposes. I know that his descriptions of the events of the first French on how they entered Ohio has many errors because of more accurate accounts I've read, specifically on a 1906 edition on the History of Illinois and it's references to the first French explorers. But, then, this information Howe got from sources he assumed incorrectly to be correct, and were never a part of his first-hand accounts having taken place 100+ years before any of the old pioneers he interviewed could tell him stories that involved their parents.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

North (01-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?