Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bullpen

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: 2020 Bullpen

Of the free agent guys mentioned, the two who scare me the least are Harris and Stammen, because their walk rates are better than the others. Home run rate is much more prone to volatility in a new park, when a guy is a year older, and just due to random chance. If you bring on a guy like Cishek, the gamble might pay off, but you’d be counting on him to prevent homers at his historically good pace despite inevitable traffic. His walk rate the last 3 years has trended 2.6, 3.6, 4.1.

I guess I’d be fine with any of these guys at the right price. But I’d temper my expectations with all of them.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

Redeyecat (01-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    People are basing a lot on 3 appearances for 6 and a third innings last year. Reed and Sims are both nothing more than end of the roster gambles. I only want one of those on the roster.
    Again, 33.2 IP in the majors since 2016.

Reed is Robert 2019 Stephenson with a left hand and better relief numbers.

At worst, he's a good LOOGY.

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Of the free agent guys mentioned, the two who scare me the least are Harris and Stammen, because their walk rates are better than the others. Home run rate is much more prone to volatility in a new park, when a guy is a year older, and just due to random chance. If you bring on a guy like Cishek, the gamble might pay off, but you’d be counting on him to prevent homers at his historically good pace despite inevitable traffic. His walk rate the last 3 years has trended 2.6, 3.6, 4.1.

I guess I’d be fine with any of these guys at the right price. But I’d temper my expectations with all of them.
    I'm looking for a guy who limits walks and is a groundball guy.

2018 Jared Hughes would be ideal. (2019 Jared Hughes, notsomuch.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Again, 33.2 IP in the majors since 2016.

Reed is Robert 2019 Stephenson with a left hand and better relief numbers.

At worst, he's a good LOOGY.
    33 innings spread over 4 years is basically no track record at all. 33 innings in one season doesn't really mean anything IMO. I think they need established relievers. If it takes 4 seasons to accumulate 33 innings, that isn't established. They have plenty of gambles already with one of Sims or Reed and the AAA shuttle guys. If they were tanking or far from contention, I'd be content with taking those gambles
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-03-2020)

I'm all for another arm (or two or three or four) to add to the bullpen. Depth is always welcome.

How would posters feel about Edwin Diaz from the Mets?
    If he’s available (and that’s a big if, as I get the sense that the Mets GM isn’t ready to cut bait), I would take a chance on him, if our pitching coaches saw something correctable. I wouldn’t expect a return to 2018 level performance https://blogs.fangraphs.com/edwin-di...o-what-extent/
    Stick to your guns.

I'd be thrilled with Edwin Diaz. I doubt he's available. The guys I listed are ones I think they could realistically get.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It makes little sense to be on the lookout for high-end relief arms when you're willing to give one up in Reed, mth.

Over his career (just 33.2 IP, so small samples abound), he's limited opposing batters to a .195/ .301/ .271/ .573 out of the pen. That's 23 hits in those 33.2 innings and a neat 1.87 ERA.

When healthy, Cody Reed's dominant in relief.
    Reed is coming off injury with little major league relief experience. He’s a guy who can make the team, if healthy, but I’m not banking on him to replace Lorenzen or Iglesias if they falter.

If healthy, Reed can backup Garrett as second lefty out of the pen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-29-2019 at 12:05 PM.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-29-2019)

Stick to your guns.

Hughes, Hernandez and Peralta threw 125 relief innings and 133 appearances for Reds last year.

Even if one is happy with Reds current relievers, which I’m not, they clearly need to add in that area.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-31-2019 at 09:03 AM.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (01-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hughes, Hernandez and Peralta threw 125 relief innings and 133 appearances for Reds last year.

Even if one is happy with Reds current relievers, which I’m not, they clearly need to add in that area.
    Garrett, Lorenzen, and Iglesias are all decent late inning guys with solid track records, and DeLeon, Kuhnel, Reed, and Stephenson are intriguing options. But they do need at least one more really nice arm to solidify things out there and bump the “intriguing” guys down a slot. I think Will Harris fits the bill. Iglesias isn’t a perfect closer, but there isn’t anyone better on the FA market and I’m not going to give up a prospect haul for a closer. Sign Harris or Daniel Hudson and re-assess at the deadline.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-31-2019)

Harris would be excellent, but I’d be happy with Cishek or Stammen.

But I sense that our big bullpen addition may come via trade.

Go ahead and quote me, mark it down, whatever. If Cody Reed is healthy in 2020 he is going to be a major part of this bullpen by being borderline dominant in a late inning role.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-31-2019),Redeyecat (01-01-2020),Shoeless Jeff (12-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Harris would be excellent, but I’d be happy with Cishek or Stammen.

But I sense that our big bullpen addition may come via trade.
    Aquino for Giles. If the Reds need to throw in Sims, OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Go ahead and quote me, mark it down, whatever. If Cody Reed is healthy in 2020 he is going to be a major part of this bullpen by being borderline dominant in a late inning role.
    Hope you are right and I don't think it would be a total surprise. I just wouldn't plan on these types of steps forward. Guy has 33 innings in relief over 4 seasons. That's almost the same as none at all IMO. If he's that good, he'll grab a role. No reason not to get somebody else in case this doesn't work out. There are 8 spots in this pen. I highly doubt we'll reach opening day confident that we have 8 trustworthy big league relievers even if they make an addition or two.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (01-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hope you are right and I don't think it would be a total surprise. I just wouldn't plan on these types of steps forward. Guy has 33 innings in relief over 4 seasons. That's almost the same as none at all IMO. If he's that good, he'll grab a role. No reason not to get somebody else in case this doesn't work out. There are 8 spots in this pen. I highly doubt we'll reach opening day confident that we have 8 trustworthy big league relievers even if they make an addition or two.
    If the guy had pitched 33 innings in 4 years, yeah that's a huge concern. But let's not act like he hasn't been throwing the ball in AAA/MLB. He has thrown 419 innings over the last 4 seasons. He was a full time starter in 2016. He did both in 2017, did both again in 2018. It wasn't until 2019 that he switched to reliever full time and he was very successful in AAA/MLB albeit limited innings at the MLB level. Even when he was up and down performance wise in 2017 and 2018, he still pitched very well in MLB relief. He is the poster child for failed starter with good stuff who seems comfortable in short stints out of the pen.

The fact I expect Reed to play a big role in the bullpen going forward also doesn't stop them from adding to the pen. But I'd hate for them to spend $$ or assets on a bullpen piece when there is a very good chance they have an in house option. I'd rather that money go elsewhere, say Chirinos or a SS upgrade. Make an acquisition early in the season if everyone flops.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 12-31-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

25. Likes:

Redeyecat (01-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?