Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bullpen

Re: 2020 Bullpen

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    If the guy had pitched 33 innings in 4 years, yeah that's a huge concern. But let's not act like he hasn't been throwing the ball in AAA/MLB. He has thrown 419 innings over the last 4 seasons. He was a full time starter in 2016. He did both in 2017, did both again in 2018. It wasn't until 2019 that he switched to reliever full time and he was very successful in AAA/MLB albeit limited innings at the MLB level. Even when he was up and down performance wise in 2017 and 2018, he still pitched very well in MLB relief. He is the poster child for failed starter with good stuff who seems comfortable in short stints out of the pen.

The fact I expect Reed to play a big role in the bullpen going forward also doesn't stop them from adding to the pen. But I'd hate for them to spend $$ or assets on a bullpen piece when there is a very good chance they have an in house option. I'd rather that money go elsewhere, say Chirinos or a SS upgrade. Make an acquisition early in the season if everyone flops.
    Yeah, I expect Reed to be the second lefty behind Garrett and be successful. It seems the Reds are going after quality upside arms without much success to fill out the remaining spots. Relievers are so volitile, I would hate for them to spend money on a Will Harris when, most likely they have limited remaining resources. If the bullpen is a problem early on then address it, but I think they have enough quality arms someone will emerge. Get one more bat at either C or SS and get ready for spring.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Yeah, I expect Reed to be the second lefty behind Garrett and be successful. It seems the Reds are going after quality upside arms without much success to fill out the remaining spots. Relievers are so volitile, I would hate for them to spend money on a Will Harris when, most likely they have limited remaining resources. If the bullpen is a problem early on then address it, but I think they have enough quality arms someone will emerge. Get one more bat at either C or SS and get ready for spring.
    I agree. And don't get me wrong, I am certainly not against adding Will Harris, but if it takes 2-3 years at a decent AAV, I'd rather put that towards SS or C. If we can grab him on a 1 year deal and it doesn't stop more offensive upgrades, I am all for it.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

If the guy had pitched 33 innings in 4 years, yeah that's a huge concern. But let's not act like he hasn't been throwing the ball in AAA/MLB. He has thrown 419 innings over the last 4 seasons. He was a full time starter in 2016. He did both in 2017, did both again in 2018. It wasn't until 2019 that he switched to reliever full time and he was very successful in AAA/MLB albeit limited innings at the MLB level. Even when he was up and down performance wise in 2017 and 2018, he still pitched very well in MLB relief. He is the poster child for failed starter with good stuff who seems comfortable in short stints out of the pen.

The fact I expect Reed to play a big role in the bullpen going forward also doesn't stop them from adding to the pen. But I'd hate for them to spend $$ or assets on a bullpen piece when there is a very good chance they have an in house option. I'd rather that money go elsewhere, say Chirinos or a SS upgrade. Make an acquisition early in the season if everyone flops.
    Sign Chironos and bring in two bullpen arms, and they are probably done. I'd love a SS upgrade, but I'm not seeing it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sign Chironos and bring in two bullpen arms, and they are probably done. I'd love a SS upgrade, but I'm not seeing it.
    If you do that, we are probably looking at small dollar bullpen arms. Not sure that's any better than what we have.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

If you do that, we are probably looking at small dollar bullpen arms. Not sure that's any better than what we have.
    I'm not comfortable with Garrett and Reed as the lefty arms. Gerrett is more like the second lefty and Reed is a question. I'd feel better about both of them if they had a late inning hammer from the left side, but I don't know if any are available, so I want at least a proven lefty.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm not comfortable with Garrett and Reed as the lefty arms. Gerrett is more like the second lefty and Reed is a question. I'd feel better about both of them if they had a late inning hammer from the left side, but I don't know if any are available, so I want at least a proven lefty.
    What does a primary lefty arms look like in your opinion?

Ugh bullpens....I hate ‘em.....unless you can afford you just load up
    Like the Yankees I don’t know if you can ever rest easy....unfortunately we all
    Know one or more of these names we have are soon to be catching the ire of the ORG

I'd gladly go with Garrett and Reed over another Zach Duke. A proven lefty that isn't a hammer is a pretty peculiar target.

Yeah there's no Chapman or Billy Wagner out there to be had. Best remaining FA lefty reliever I could come up with was Ryan Buchter, who always seems to manage a sub-3 ERA but is a fly ball pitcher and has played most of his career in San Diego and Oakland, so I'm not sure how well his stuff would play at GABP.

Will Harris does have pretty good reverse splits against lefties, so I'd still like to try to go after him. Hasn't been much talk about him but I wouldn't wait too long for the price to go down if he's a guy we'd really like to have. You went bargain on another OF bat, so you can afford him I think.

Deleon
    Shafer
    Thornburg
    Carpenter
    Josh Smith

Seems they are looking for value opportunities for the pen instead of going after Stammen or Harris. Tells me Mahle will be in the pen if the starters are all healthy instead of at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Deleon
    Shafer
    Thornburg
    Carpenter
    Josh Smith

Seems they are looking for value opportunities for the pen instead of going after Stammen or Harris. Tells me Mahle will be in the pen if the starters are all healthy instead of at AAA.
    Ugh....I hope not (Not necessarily the Mahle part...mostly the "looking for value opportunities" part...because yeah, that always works!)

13. Likes:

REDREAD (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stein1214 View Post
    Ugh....I hope not (Not necessarily the Mahle part...mostly the "looking for value opportunities" part...because yeah, that always works!)
    I've seen Daniel Hudson's named thrown around as an upgrade. He was a "value" guy last year.

They need to find the 2019 versions of 2017 David Hernandez and Jared Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, I’ve often said that you get a pretty rosy picture of the Reds’ bullpen in the off-season posts.

You get quite a different take in the game threads during the year.
    The off season is meant for optimists with Rose colored glasses for guys like me. The thing is you never know who is going to have the best or worst season of their careers. Who guessed that both Hughes and Whatshisface were going to just fall apart last year? Did anyone expect Stephenson would finally figure things out and become a pretty good bullpen guy? I didn't.. I'm always rooting for the ever present nobody of the team to take the league by storm. Every now and then it actually happens. I certainly didn't expect Aquino to come right in to start breaking HR records even if he fell of the cliff later on in September..

Reed and Garrett are the Reds poster boys for feast or famine. They're either REALLY good or REALLY terrible with not much, ehhh..they're ok in them.. In my dreamlike fantasies they'll both be the greatest bullpen arms of the past 100 years. I have a sneaky feeling my dreamlike fantasies aren't coming true.. again.
    Last edited by allpurpose; 12-31-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?