Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Whither Lodolo?

Whither Lodolo?

To say Nick Lodolo had a solid start to his professional career would be a massive understatement. Despite already pitching 103 innings, Lodolo came to Billings (then Dayton) and threw 18.1 more to the tune of a 2.45 ERA across two levels. His peripherals (a 0.98 WHIP, a 14.7 K rate, and a zero BB rate) were perhaps better than that.

According to his scouting report, Lodolo has a 55 changeup (along with a 55 grade fastball and a 55 grade slider). He toyed with Rookie and Midwest League batters last year.

Where do you start him next season?

He could be challenged with A+ ball and the Florida State League. It's a pitcher's park in the pitcher's league, and fly balls don't travel quite as well there as other places. Too, he can work on his craft against better hitters.

You could keep him in Dayton, at least to start the season. He didn't get many innings last year, and you may want to see him dominate over more innings before moving him up.

What's your opinion?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Whither Lodolo?

I'd guess he starts in Daytona. Seems like the right level given his age/experience.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

HammerTime (01-01-2020),mth123 (12-29-2019),Tuff Nut (12-30-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think it depends on his performance in spring training. Guessing the plan at the moment is A+, but wouldn't be shocked to see AA or even AAA. No way he pulls a Leake and goes into the rotation at the start of the year. But I do think he'll be pitching meaningful innings for the Reds by August.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-29-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Have to think Daytona is the minimum starting point with a quick promotion (if not a start) in AA likely. The guy was the #1 college pitcher in his draft. Those guys tend to move fairly quickly when they have success.
    Go BLUE!!!

Daytona.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Starts in Daytona. Warmer weather.

After a handful of starts, he will get moved to Chattanooga. I would not be surprised if he got a token start or two in Louisville in August and then introduced to MLB in our bullpen for a playoff push (anticipating it will not be too difficult to add him to the 40 man roster at that time).

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-30-2019)

95 percent chance he starts in Daytona (assuming no injury issues in March). From there, what he does on the mound will dictate when he moves up. He will move up when the Reds are convinced he can do what is needed at the next level ie: command multiple pitches in any count on a consistent basis; hit his spots consistently; improve his understanding of how to “work” a professional hitter.

Could be a short time, could be a long time. The stats will only tell part of the story. I like Lodolo and feel he is the Reds #1 prospect.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-31-2019),Edd Roush (12-30-2019),icehole3 (01-22-2020),M2 (12-30-2019),marcshoe (01-16-2020),membengal (12-30-2019),Mitri (12-31-2019),Old school 1983 (12-30-2019),Plus Plus (12-31-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-30-2019),RedlegJake (01-17-2020),REDREAD (01-03-2020),UKFlounder (12-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    95 percent chance he starts in Daytona (assuming no injury issues in March). From there, what he does on the mound will dictate when he moves up. He will move up when the Reds are convinced he can do what is needed at the next level ie: command multiple pitches in any count on a consistent basis; hit his spots consistently; improve his understanding of how to “work” a professional hitter.

Could be a short time, could be a long time. The stats will only tell part of the story. I like Lodolo and feel he is the Reds #1 prospect.
    Yours was the opinion I was waiting for. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-30-2019),Old school 1983 (12-30-2019)

Lodolo named #5 LHP prospect by MLB pipeline. Jumped Puk and Liberatore since last top 100 list. Good shot at a top 50 when the top 100 comes out.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-left-ha...eline-coverage

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-16-2020),marcshoe (01-16-2020),NC Reds (01-18-2020),RedlegJake (01-16-2020)

Canada?

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Lodolo named #5 LHP prospect by MLB pipeline. Jumped Puk and Liberatore since last top 100 list. Good shot at a top 50 when the top 100 comes out.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-left-ha...eline-coverage
    Highest Floor: Lodolo
    Several of the southpaws on this list seem fairly sure bets to become big league starters. Lodolo’s feel for the strike zone and advanced ability to mix his pitches well already all point to a lot of confidence that he’s at least a mid-rotation starter.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (01-16-2020),Edd Roush (01-17-2020)

From that same site, this comes from the section on catchers:
    Keep an eye on: Tyler Stephenson, Reds
    The 2015 first-round pick was plagued by injuries during the first stages of his career, but he’s shown plenty of potential when healthy and began to put it all together in 2018. After a solid regular season in Double-A (.285/.372/.410), the 23-year-old backstop had a very strong AFL campaign (.347/.372/.410 in 49 at-bats) to earn a spot on the 40-man roster.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (01-16-2020),Edd Roush (01-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?