Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars - 2020 - It's perfectly clear now !

Jacksonville Jaguars - 2020 - It's perfectly clear now !

So the 2020 off-season has started for Jags. They will have 2 #1 draft picks. #9 and #20 (Rams). First order of business is to find out how much house cleaning is to be done. Last year at the end of the season, Shad Khan famously stated that he expected to make the playoffs or changes would be made.

One change has already happened as the ill-fated Tom Coughlin experiment is over. Rumors keep flying around Jax that Khan is keeping HC Doug Marrone and GM Dave Caldwell. Former Jag Tony Boselli who does local radio in town put the odds at 98% that they'd be back. And that's before their last game home win.

Khan indicated that he would meet with all parties mid-week, so apparently we get no "Black Monday". In his post game interview Marrone indicated basically that he has a plan which he'll pitch.

Jags have a really bad cap situation (thanks Tom) and so the next GM will have to make some hard decisions. Yannick Ngawkwe is a Free Agent and has already indicated he won't play under franchise tag.

At QB we have Nick Foles who was benched by Marrone who is owed a LOT of money. He's close to untradeable this year. Next year (2021) trading or cutting him would not hurt as much. Gardner Minshew had ups and downs, but ended up 6-6 in games he started (despite a Marrone decision which probably cost us the game against Texas.)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars - 2020 - It's perfectly clear now !

The Shad Khan/Marrone meeting is now Tuesday morning.

As rumored, the Jags (Khan) are retaining Marrone and Caldwell. Laying all the blame on Coughlin. Tickets will be a hard sale this year. Dave Caldwell has got his hands full trying to clean up the mess and instill some enthusiasm in the off-season.

Marrone doesn't seem to be a problem (though I imagine those who watch all their games might disagree) but I'm not sure why Caldwell has gotten so many chances.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Marrone doesn't seem to be a problem (though I imagine those who watch all their games might disagree) but I'm not sure why Caldwell has gotten so many chances.
    I'm kind of the opposite. But there were some really bad choices made in FA and draft in the Coughlin/Caldwell era. If I was Khan I'd want to know the background on who really made those choices. For example there was talk that Caldwell wanted Mahomes instead of Fournette, but Coughlin wanted Fournette so Jags could pound the ball.

But I can see choices made by Marrone in game that I know make no sense. In this last game when it was still relatively close, Jags scored a TD to take a 2 point lead. They line up for extra point to make it 3 points, but defense makes a penalty. So Marrone goes for 2. Makes no sense. A TD gives Colts the lead either way but you're giving them a chance to beat you with a FG if you miss.

And Jags are always among the most penalized teams in NFL. We were 2nd this year.

My biggest issue with them staying is the impact it has on fan morale.

"So Fla Red"

Head scratcher for sure. Marrone is like the Jaguar with nine lives

Jags held a press conference yesterday for Marrone and Caldwell to face questions. Khan did not show up. Kinda gutless in my opinion. And Marrone gave answers to questions but provided absolutely no insight.

Lots of folks around here think it actually might have been DeFillipo's choice. Based on a couple things. Philly job is open. Secondly, there seems to be a consensus that Marrone has cast his lot with Minshew and not Foles. So if Foles will be here one more year and then released, why does DeFillipo who most think was brought here because of his relationships to Foles, need to be here.

But, this will not be an attractive job for an OC that has options. Most of the OC jobs have already been filled, and you'll be working for the HC with perhaps the hottest seat in the NFL.

I've heard a couple names being speculated. One is Jim Caldwell who I want nothing to do with. The other is Jason Garrett. I have mixed emotions about him.

Here's my dream (and I know it's a dream) they get some hot shot like LSU's Brady to be OC/Asst HC with understanding that if Marrone is canned he gets the gig.

Well I woke up from dream. Brady signed with Panthers. There is an owner who's killing it this off-season.

On the Jaguars front, word is out we've interviewed (or will interview), Scott Linehan and Ben McAdoo for the OC position.

Now Jsy Gruden is on the OC list. He's a little more exciting to me.

Local reporter here says he expects OC to be named within 24 hours. He also said he interviewed the GM today, so I assume the GM told him they are crossing T's and dotting i's on an agreement.

In possibly related news Jsy Gruden has changed his name to Jay Gruden.

Edit: Ian Rapaport says Jags are hiring Gruden
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Two games in London for 2020.

Jags are looking to increase their local revenue and escape the bottom quartile of the league in that category.

With the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers and the Las Vegas Raiders moving into new stadiums for the 2020 season, the Jaguars felt an additional home game in London -- which generates twice the money of a home game at TIAA Bank Field -- was the best way to offset the boost those teams will be receiving from those relocations and stabilize the long-term future of the franchise.

The Jaguars are spearheading a proposed $700 million entertainment district development around the stadium that would result in additional revenue, but until that happens Jaguars president Mark Lamping said adding another home game in London is the right action for the team to take.

VIA ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-boost-revenue

Just figured out what, "It's perfectly clear" means...they are moving to the UK.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Let the announcement and the resulting noise sink in for a couple days. Very disappointing. Very disappointed in Khan. His football people have failed to put a winning product on the field. The Jags have had losing seasons in 11 of the past 12 years if I remember correctly.

And his answer to that was have the same people continue to run it the football side of things. And now this. And in interviews he mealy mouths around his answers. I'm not very happy with Khan at the moment.

Turn Off Ads?