Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars - 2020 - It's perfectly clear now !

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars - 2020 - It's perfectly clear now !

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Catching up on the Jags. I do have a lot of sense that Fournette is cleaning up his act as far as attitude. I'd still say he's gone next year (although we don't have great options) but he very well might stay for the season.
    Nope, He gone. One anonymous source said Doug Marrone really wanted to clean up the locker room. I assume someone picks him up quickly.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nope, He gone. One anonymous source said Doug Marrone really wanted to clean up the locker room. I assume someone picks him up quickly.
    I wish the Bucs had room for him....but I doubt they have interest after adding McCoy to the RB room...
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Field Yates
    @FieldYates

From 2012-2017, the Jaguars made SIX straight picks in the top 5: WR Justin Blackmon, OT Luke Joeckel, QB Blake Bortles, DE Dante Fowler, Jr., CB Jalen Ramsey and then RB Leonard Fournette.

None of them last more than 5 seasons with the team. Major whiffs.

8:34 AM · Aug 31, 2020
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

My personal feelings on each

Blackmon - Loved the pick. This one still hurts. People don't realize how talented he was and his build was ridiculous. Won the Biletnikoff as Sophomore and Junior at Ok State. He's right there with Josh Gordon for me, super talented wideout who couldn't get out of his own way. The difference in the two is Blackmon didn't care. He made a few million and disappeared back to Ardmore Oklahoma. From 2014 - 2016 I held a small bit of hope that the game would call him back but it just wasn't to be.

Luke - One of Johnny Footballs protectors (along with Jake Matthews) at A&M. Didn't love the pick but didn't hate it either. I really don't like drafting lineman in the top of the first, way too hit or miss. The drafts of the last 10 years are littered with failed OL who came out as big time prospects. Joeckel was definitely one of the failed ones. We even tried to move him to guard and he still rated very low. What hurts is Lane Johnson was taken two picks later and has been one of footballs best OL.

Bortles - BARF. I was 100% against taking him all through the process. I am also extremely anti the whole "tall guy, big arm" QB fad that has always seemed to dominate drafts. It can definitely work out but when it's accompanied by "has some accuracy issues" that's a red flag. Blake could move well and scoot if need be and I think that's what pushed him to be the pick. I think I wanted Sammy W (which would've probably not been great either) but we were linked to Khalil Mack a bit so in hindsight that would've been a much better outcome. Of course this was made even worse when Coughlin decided to buy into him after the 2017 AFC title game season. That mistake crippled the franchise and put us right back at the bottom.

Fowler - As a Gator I was loving this and even after tearing his ACL leading up to the season the Jags didn't try and low ball him on his rookie deal. I had a ton of hope for another Gator/Jag (even after being burned bad by Derrick Harvey in '08) but he didn't ascend to ever being really great and Yannick outshined him really quickly once he got to Jax. On one hand Coughlin did him dirty by fining him for not rehabbing in Jacksonville but on the other hand Fowler had some concerning OTF issues, punching the guy in his face and throwing his groceries in the lake and the incident where he administered the fight between two females. In hindsight I still agree with the pick, Fowler was a beast for Florida, and the only other pick I might've preferred would have been Amari but that would've likely gone way south quick.

Ramsey - Whew. Bout wrecked my car when I heard Dallas to Zeke I was so happy. Ramsey was and still is a generational talent. His problem is his ego, at many times more concerned with himself than the team and always focusing on one-on-one battles. Still ranks as one of the best picks in Jags history. No way you can call this one a whiff, that's a terrible way to describe a great player who eventually forced his way out. Plus we got quite the haul for him.

Fournette - Loved it then, hate it now. He fit what we needed and what Tom C wanted to do - power run game. Now you look and see CMC, D-Wats, and Mahomes were all available and you can't help but come to the conclusion that this pick was a MASSIVE mistake. It's really hard to justify not taking Watson when QB was clearly a massive issue. I can't lie though, I was very excited at the time. I just wasn't aware of Fournettes open field issues. At LSU he just bulldozed DBs and could outrun LBs. In the NFL he didn't have those luxuries and he was exposed as a physically gifted back who struggled to find seams and had absolutely no wiggle ability in the open field. I won't go as far to call him Trent Richardson 2.0 but his flaws were similar.

Moving forward I do have some concerns with CJH (another Gator/Jag) because of his tackling ability. He will be phenomenal in coverage but tackling could be a big problem for his first few years. Reminds me too much of a better cover version of Jalen (Teez) Tabor.

The remains of the 2017 AFC title game roster....

Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 08-31-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Fournette was waived on Tom Coughlin's birthday. Accidental?

Another one bites the dust. Safety Ronnie Harrison traded to Browns for a 5th. People are saying Jags will have 14 rookies on the squad. Hearing some talk they may trade a wide receiver, because they have a lot of talent there. Maybe DeDe Westbrook

Tanking for Lawrence?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Tanking for Lawrence?
    That would be Tanking for Trevor, or Losing for Lawrence.

It will be interesting to see if they are the train wreck everyone expects. I suspect not. But we'll see (soon).

There's talk out there about trying to convince Dabo to coach Trevor at Jax next year. That would be wild.

That would be Tanking for Trevor, or Losing for Lawrence.

It will be interesting to see if they are the train wreck everyone expects. I suspect not. But we'll see (soon).

There's talk out there about trying to convince Dabo to coach Trevor at Jax next year. That would be wild.
    I would speculate there is about a 100% chance Dabo would not consider that move in normal times....but one thing that could change his mind is the implementation of the NIL regulations about to be introduced into college football. Dabo has always been adamant about college athletes not being compensated financially (unless he has had a change of heart that I am not aware of...), and has even claimed he would leave college football if it ever happened. Maybe he does not view players earning off of NIL the same as direct compensation, but I do think it will bring all of the negative aspects to a major program like Clemson that he opposed. Outside of that, I think he only leaves for one job.....'Bama.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Well 'final' cuts came down. Two notable items. It was a good year to get drafted/signed by Jags. The Jags had 12 !! draft picks this year. They all made the squad. And 4 undrafted rookies did. 16 first year players.

Secondly we released Mike Glennon. Our 6th rounder from Oregon State has been impressing everyone all summer. He's now the #2. I assume they'll pick up a practice squad guy. Maybe Josh Dobbs who also got waived today.

Jags did not trade a WR. They cut one (Goodwin) they really liked.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-05-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Interestingly Dobbs got claimed by Pittsburgh. We traded for him from Pittsburgh for a 5th last year. Never took a snap. Rosen went unclaimed. He'll have his choice of teams for a practice squad (or better) gig. I suspect Jags are really happy Godwin cleared.

Glennon signed to the practice squad. No Godwin yet

Godwin eventually was named to the PS. Boy the Jags coaches are sure talking a good game. They act like they think thy are going to win some games.

Godwin eventually was named to the PS. Boy the Jags coaches are sure talking a good game. They act like they think thy are going to win some games.
    They've convinced everyone that undrafted rookie James Robinson is going to rush the ball 25 times for 100 yards and two touchdowns while Chris Thompson will catch 10 passes for 100 yards.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?