Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Bengals love franchise QBs. They don't like short, injury prone ones like Tagovailoa. I am very confident that Burrow's their guy. They do not have a history of trading down in the 1st rd. If we go by what they've done for generations, they'll pick Burrow. After that, it gets dicey. But it's not in their DNA to get fancy and go River Boat Gambler and stockpile picks. That's not what they do

2. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (01-21-2020),Boss-Hog (01-21-2020),Redsfaithful (01-21-2020),Revering4Blue (01-22-2020),RiverRat13 (01-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As was mentioned in redszone a month ago, that the Bengals are Coaching one side of the Senior Bowl is huge. It helped them out when Marvin did it, and I think it helps just as much this time around. I sure hope they trade sone Veterans in order to acquire some more picks. They are in a great position to take advantage of it.
    It is huge. It's a great opportunity considering that they'll have the first pick on 3 different days. This gives them the chance to carefully pick the best guy overlooked the previous day. It'll also give them the opportunity to trade those picks on day 2 or 3 to another team that HAS to get their guy. They cannot follow up Burrow with another Drew Sample or Malik Jefferson. Just can't

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-21-2020),Revering4Blue (01-22-2020)

I'm not certain you can learn that much at the Senior Bowl....it's a jovial atmosphere. It's likely a bit more useful to the Bengals because they do so little scouting, but that can present a danger to them. Because they are so impressionable, unprepared, arrogant - pick your adjective - it doesn't take much to wow them.

So they end up doing things like spending a #9 pick on a John Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the Bengals are locked in to Burrow. But what if the Dolphins offered them their 3 first rounders this season as well as a 1 and 3 next season? You have to take something insane like that. Even more so if you think the Dolphins will be in the bottom half next season.
    It’ll take a Mike Ditka sized offer from Miami to even come close.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There is no chance they're passing on taking the QB who just had the best season in the history of College Football.

They finally tanked at the right time. Once again, a QB on a rookie deal is the most valuable commodity in sports. Could care less what any offer they get would be. You don't take it.

9. Likes:

membengal (01-22-2020),Sea Ray (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I mean that hypothetical would basically net you Tua plus three more first round draft picks.
    Yeah, and I think Tua probably ends up a very good NFL QB but I'll pass on the Bengals taking the guy who is already hurt fairly seriously, I feel like I have a crystal ball with how that would play out. I realize I probably sound like Bob here, but who can legitimately say they think Tua wouldn't end up out of the NFL in a short time because of his hip if the Bengals took him?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

UKFlounder (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Yeah, and I think Tua probably ends up a very good NFL QB but I'll pass on the Bengals taking the guy who is already hurt fairly seriously, I feel like I have a crystal ball with how that would play out. I realize I probably sound like Bob here, but who can legitimately say they think Tua wouldn't end up out of the NFL in a short time because of his hip if the Bengals took him?
    I share your concern. That's their track record.

JMO ... while one should obviously listen to any and all possible offers, you don't put yourself in a box, you ARE in the "driver's seat (so to speak) ... regardless of his immense talent and potential, when I sit back and think of all the positives he can bring to not only this team, but Cincinnati, and you could assign some sort of "value" to it? ... there's nothing these other organizations could offer me to be honest.

Why are these organizations so willing to give up future year's first round picks, do whatever it takes, to land this kid? Hmmmm, must be something special huh?

But take it from a fan of that team up North .... don't be Cleveland and do what they did trading away, stockpiling picks for 2-3 years, fielding crappy teams, always looking to that future "right moment" to make their move while telling their fans to be patient. Excuse me - we've been patient, and you're passing over some solid talent (needs) just to stockpile picks. Are you gonna wait till you get the first eleven picks in the first round and draft you entire offensive team all at once (LOL)?

We're talking a possible franchise, star QB for years in the league. The most key position on that field. But what does it take to reach "elite"? You obviously need the physical athleticism, good arm; but there are two other qualities that, IMO, I think Burrow excels at ...

1) Leadership. He looks to be a strong, take control leader, understands the importance of the role.

but most important ...

2) His head. He's a quick thinker/decision-maker. Smart. This is what makes a QB, IMO, elite and separates them from the rest of the pack. Time (seconds) is of the essence. And as things unfold, this kid sees, analyzes, processes, reacts very quickly and with determination. I'm beginning to think he has a Intel Core Processor for a brain (LOL). He possesses the tools for a very balanced attack.

Just get your field general better troop support.

It would be a most disgusting feeling to see them trade this pick away, and then watch him excel for some other organization. Would really stick in my craw!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Smokey View Post
    There is no chance they're passing on taking the QB who just had the best season in the history of College Football.

They finally tanked at the right time. Once again, a QB on a rookie deal is the most valuable commodity in sports. Could care less what any offer they get would be. You don't take it.
    The best season in college football is awfully subjective. Yes Burrow put up all kinds of records this season, but the game has changed dramatically over the past decade.

I don't think a Ditka type of package will get it done, Miami has 3 #1's this year, that plus another #1 should get your attention. Ditka offered his entire draft class, which I don't think the Bengals should even consider.

If you could walk out of the 2020 draft with Tua, Start OT, and Starting DE, plus a #1 pick in 2021, that is one heck of an offer to pass up.

The best season in college football is awfully subjective. Yes Burrow put up all kinds of records this season, but the game has changed dramatically over the past decade.

I don't think a Ditka type of package will get it done, Miami has 3 #1's this year, that plus another #1 should get your attention. Ditka offered his entire draft class, which I don't think the Bengals should even consider.

If you could walk out of the 2020 draft with Tua, Start OT, and Starting DE, plus a #1 pick in 2021, that is one heck of an offer to pass up.
    If Burrow turns out to be better than Tua the trade's a bust and you're the laughing stock of the NFL (I know we already are but don't we want that to end?). If Burrow turns into Joe Montana then we become the Boston Red Sox who sold Babe Ruth and it becomes a 100 yr curse. No, the only option here is to take Burrow. Anything other than that is riverboat gambling and the Bengals don't do that

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Burrow turns out to be better than Tua the trade's a bust and you're the laughing stock of the NFL (I know we already are but don't we want that to end?). If Burrow turns into Joe Montana then we become the Boston Red Sox who sold Babe Ruth and it becomes a 100 yr curse. No, the only option here is to take Burrow. Anything other than that is riverboat gambling and the Bengals don't do that
    That goes 2 ways though. You also could draft Akili Smith when you had the option to trade down and load up on draft picks. I don't think Burrow is Akili Smith, but the Bengals should be making the decision based on what is best for the organization, not what will draw the least potential criticism (even though that's how most decisions get made, and not just for the Bengals).

I think it really depends on Tua's medicals. Most had Tua projected slightly ahead of Burrow before the injury, so it wouldn't be shocking if the Bengals actually have healthy Tua above Burrow. In that case, I'd have no issues with the Bengals trading back a bit, loading up on picks, and still getting a QB they're very confident in.

Of course, if the medicals are good for Tua, that also significantly reduces the chance that Miami would want to trade up to #1 as they could hold their picks and still get a good QB.

Easy to pass up. Tua carries massive career injury risk, this team is perfectly capable of whiffing on other picks (see Sample, Ogbuihi, the 2015-2017 Browns who stockpiled and whiffed all over the place while passing on premium passing talent), and Burrow is the best chance at a transcendent player at the most important position on the field. Toss in that no guarantee you even get Tua if some other team trades up to 3 or 4, giving you effectively Herbert, and I laugh at that package for Burrow.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Trading back to #5 overall does NOT ensure this team gets Tua...plenty of teams could jump to 3 or 4 and snag him. Trading back comes with the risk that you end up having to talk yourself into the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft when you could just stay put and spin the franchise QB wheel on Burrow. I have yet to see a realistic trade package for Burrow that I would even come close to considering.

And that's not even considering the positive momentum with the fanbase that is trashed if they pass on Burrow to trade back...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Trading back to #5 overall does NOT ensure this team gets Tua...plenty of teams could jump to 3 or 4 and snag him. Trading back comes with the risk that you end up having to talk yourself into the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft when you could just stay put and spin the franchise QB wheel on Burrow. I have yet to see a realistic trade package for Burrow that I would even come close to considering.

And that's not even considering the positive momentum with the fanbase that is trashed if they pass on Burrow to trade back...
    Yeah, if they pass on Burrow that will destroy the Bengal fanbase regardless of the package. I have never been a Tua fan, I think he was overhyped even before the injury, but Burrow checks all the boxes. No way you can pass on him. Plus he is a local kid, there is never gonna be a more perfect pick to change this franchise.

21. Likes:

membengal (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

Yeah I was going to add this point. The current teams 2-4 aren’t taking a QB, but the Lions will almost definitely trade out of that spot for a team that wants Tua (this is almost definitely going to be the Patriots and I’ll be livid) and that would leave the Bengals without either and looking at Herbert, who I don’t think is in that same tier, although he is going to crush the combine.

But again this is all based on the hypothetical that the Dolphins are going to drop their three first rounders and some more stuff, which I think they are unlikely to do anyway, just banter.

Turn Off Ads?