Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

The offseason is upon us.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Fred Johnson held up reasonably well at tackle against the Dolphins and Browns. My only concern is that the team will count him as a solution in 2020 (therefore not addressing OL as much as it needs addressed from the outside) and not a guy who should have to compete for a swing tackle role.

On the line...Jonah Williams will be ready and is the LT. Hopkins is set at C. The real question is can Fred Johnson be an upgrade at RT and allow them to move on from Hart without spending draft capital on a RT at the top of round 2. That would free them up to look at a LG at top of round 2 or a LB if they have found their G in free agency. I expect Miller is back at RG and it could be they are happy with what they saw from Jordan at LG and that isn't even a need.

I know the drumbeat is that the Bengals line SUCKS, but, BUT, does it? Get Jonah Williams back at LT (he was the legit #1 T in the draft last year) and upgrade Hart at RT and this line is one that helped Mixon to 817 yards in the last 8 games of the year. I think there is stuff to build on there, and that Burrow is the kind of QB to help an average line look ok.

I would be thrilled if they were freed up to BPA/LB at top of round 2 to get a running mate for Pratt.

I am as bullish and optimistic about the direction of the team as I have been in awhile, frankly. The team clearly didn't quit on Taylor, I still trust Taylor to get it right, and I know that not every coach has an awesome record in his first season (Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 for example). For the first time in a long time they tanked properly (whether intentional or not) and didn't screw things up with meaningless wins late. Being in position to take Burrow, to coach the Senior Bowl, to be in the prime position at the top of each round, it makes much of the pain of this year feel more worth it now.

Mark me down for super intrigued as a fan, for the first time in a long time. And, if they draft Burrow, and if he is starting from day 1 (as he should), I will commit to meeting some of you all in person as I will make the trek from Baltimore to Cincinnati for Burrow's home debut if it all goes down like it should.
    Last edited by membengal; 12-30-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-01-2020),Redsfaithful (12-30-2019),schmidty622 (12-30-2019)

I don't think they're looking at Fred Johnson as a starter. He's not built like a RT. Their comments seem to suggest that he's a 6th man next yr

Bungle for Burrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    On the line...Jonah Williams will be ready and is the LT. Hopkins is set at C. The real question is can Fred Johnson be an upgrade at RT and allow them to move on from Hart without spending draft capital on a RT at the top of round 2. That would free them up to look at a LG at top of round 2 or a LB if they have found their G in free agency. I expect Miller is back at RG and it could be they are happy with what they saw from Jordan at LG and that isn't even a need.

I know the drumbeat is that the Bengals line SUCKS, but, BUT, does it? Get Jonah Williams back at LT (he was the legit #1 T in the draft last year) and upgrade Hart at RT and this line is one that helped Mixon to 817 yards in the last 8 games of the year. I think there is stuff to build on there, and that Burrow is the kind of QB to help an average line look ok.

I would be thrilled if they were freed up to BPA/LB at top of round 2 to get a running mate for Pratt.

I am as bullish and optimistic about the direction of the team as I have been in awhile, frankly. The team clearly didn't quit on Taylor, I still trust Taylor to get it right, and I know that not every coach has an awesome record in his first season (Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 for example). For the first time in a long time they tanked properly (whether intentional or not) and didn't screw things up with meaningless wins late. Being in position to take Burrow, to coach the Senior Bowl, to be in the prime position at the top of each round, it makes much of the pain of this year feel more worth it now.

Mark me down for super intrigued as a fan, for the first time in a long time. And, if they draft Burrow, and if he is starting from day 1 (as he should), I will commit to meeting some of you all in person as I will make the trek from Baltimore to Cincinnati for Burrow's home debut if it all goes down like it should.
    I’ve already said if the Bengals draft Burrow I am buying my son a Burrow jersey.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

So will Burrow suffer his debilitating injury before or after the Bengals draft him?

My last post in the other thread:

Now that the season is over, I hope the Bengals take Burrow with the first pick.

I wonder how the rest of the draft will turn out? The Bengals desperately need help at LB, but I'd also like to see them invest in ways to protect Burrow through the draft. Offensive lineman, blocking TEs, or hell, draft a fullback. If Burrow is the #1 pick, the Bengals need to protect him at all costs.

If Dylan Moses is available Day 2 should the Bengals look at him?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If Dylan Moses is available Day 2 should the Bengals look at him?
    Absolutely. But most mock drafts I have seen have him easily in first round still, even coming off the ACL.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Best we can hope for is the 1989 Dallas Cowboys.

- The 1988 Cowboys finished 3-13, so they get the 1st pick in the 1989 draft.
    - Enter new coach Jimmy Johnson.
    - 1989 draft: They get the 1st pick and draft Troy Aikman. Plus, 4 of their next 5 draft picks end up being pro-bowlers. Nice.
    - 1989 season: They go 1-15, Aikman hurt for the middle of the season. Plus they screw up getting the 1st pick because they took Johnson's college QB in the supplemental as competition for Aikman. Oops.
    - 1990 draft: The miss on pretty much every other pick, but they get one right: Emmitt Smith @17.
    - 1990 season: 7-9. Not great but a nice improvement. Plus, the trio of Irvin (who they drafted in 1988), Aikman, and Smith are starting to gel. Smith won ROY, and Johnson won COY.
    - 1991 draft. Netted 3 pro bowlers. That's how you do it.
    - 1991-1996 seasons: 6 straight playoff appearances. 3 Super Bowl victories.

Good coaching.
    Great drafting.
    And that's what you get.

For the 2020 Bengals, .500 has to be the high water mark, if Burrow stays healthy. Dalton has to go, because if Burrow goes down, you want the team to lose badly too, for that high draft pick. Having Dalton will get you 5-11 to 8-8 with this group. That's no bueno. Franchise Green. He's still young. Burrow/Mixon/Green could be a formidable combo, if Burrow comes as advertised.

Bottom line is, even if things go 1989 Cowboys right, it's still going to be another year at least before the Bengals even think of the playoffs. And they need to not just hit with the Burrow pick, they need to hit with multiple picks this draft.

Basically a LOT needs to go right, especially drafting. And the Bengals do not exactly inspire confidence there. Maybe they get lucky?

EDIT: (from today's Enquirer):

Taylor, by the way, said he hasn’t seen much of Burrow
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 12-30-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

- 1989 draft: They get the 1st pick and draft Troy Aikman. Plus, 4 of their next 5 draft picks end up being pro-bowlers. Nice.
    - 1989 season: They go 1-15, Aikman hurt for the middle of the season. Plus they screw up getting the 1st pick because they took Johnson's college QB in the supplemental as competition for Aikman. Oops.
    - 1990 draft: The miss on pretty much every other pick, but they get one right: Emmitt Smith @17.
    - 1990 season: 7-9. Not great but a nice improvement. Plus, the trio of Irvin (who they drafted in 1988), Aikman, and Smith are starting to gel. Smith won ROY, and Johnson won COY.

Good coaching.
    Great drafting.
    And that's what you get.

For the 2020 Bengals, .500 has to be the high water mark, if Burrow stays healthy. Dalton has to go, because if Burrow goes down, you want the team to lose badly too, for that high draft pick. Having Dalton will get you 5-11 to 8-8 with this group. That's no bueno. Franchise Green. He's still young. Burrow/Mixon/Green could be a formidable combo, if Burrow comes as advertised.

Bottom line is, even if things go 1989 Cowboys right, it's still going to be another year at least before the Bengals even think of the playoffs. And they need to not just hit with the Burrow pick, they need to hit with multiple picks this draft.

Basically a LOT needs to go right, especially drafting. And the Bengals do not exactly inspire confidence there. Maybe they get lucky?

I’m sure he will get a full meeting at the senior bowl.

Bengals sign Winston Rose CB...led CFL in INT's this past season...supposedly he impressed the Vikings in a workout last year.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Good coaching.
    Great drafting.
    And that's what you get.

You miss some key pts in why Dallas was able to turn things around...

1. Trades...the Walker trade was huge and really helped that team build depth that was sorely needed. Walsh may have been a bust in NO but he also was turned into 3 draft picks one of which was Russell Maryland. Unfortunately Mike Brown doesn't believe in making other teams better.
    2. Johnson got Dallas involved in Plan B free agency...and signed 20 players over the course of his first few seasons in Dallas. Again dead horse...the Bengals don't get involved in Free Agency.

So looking at the reluctance of the team to do anything other then draft we basically have to be perfect with our picks.

PFF Ratings Week 17

Offense 5 highest per Goodberry

1) Joe Mixon
    2) Michael Jordan
    3) CJ Uzomah
    4) Fred Johnson
    5) John Miller

Defense

1) Carlos Dunlap
    2) Germaine Pratt!
    3) Carl Lawson
    4) Josh Topou
    5) Geno Atkins

We may be able to get away from the line until 3rd day in draft unless someone falls...

Turn Off Ads?