Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Kenny Anderson is the only QB in the history of the Bengals who deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He lead the NFL in passer rating 4 times, passing percentage 3 times, yards per attempt twice, went to four Pro Bowls, was a league MVP. Anderson is as deserving of the HOF as Dan Fouts. He is the best QB in Bengals history, a distinction that I hope he soon loses to Joe Burrow.
    I'm totally OK with flip-flopping Esiason and Anderson. I had Boomer ahead of him mainly because I have more vivid memories of him. But my point was that they should be #1 and #2 on any Bengals All-time QB list.

Boomer also had a pretty good resume -- league MVP, four Pro Bowls, led the NFL in yards per attempt twice and QB rating once, while the overall strength at the QB position league-wide was probably stronger. But on reflection, Anderson is probably most deserving of the #1 spot, with Esiason #2.

Agreed that hopefully Joey Burrow passes them all some day.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 01-14-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Joe Burrow is a superstar.
    Hard to not be excited about him.

Couple interesting points from FS1 today:

--Colin Cowherd "announced" that Baker Mayfield is now the 4th best QB in the division and that he and the Browns missed out on a great yr to capitalize on a down division...the Bengals were horrible, the Steelers were down to 3rd or 4th QB...

--Joel Klatt said that if Trevor Lawrence was coming out this yr, he thinks the choice for the Bengals should be Joe Burrow. Says that Lawrence has accuracy problems and looked rattled vs a far worse defense than what Joe Burrow faced. He also says that Zach Taylor's system should fit Burrow's skills to a "T". Compared Burrow to Joe Montana and raved about how other GMs in the NFL were texting last night about what a catchable ball Burrow throws.

Good stuff

Hows this for a Burrow comp?

Ben Roethlisberger.

I think Big Ben would have been the first overall pick had he played at a Power 5 college. Playing at Miami hurt his visibility.

He can shred defenses in the pocket but can also create on the run like Roethlisberger.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

Chip R (01-14-2020),Hoosier Red (01-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Couple interesting points from FS1 today:

--Colin Cowherd "announced" that Baker Mayfield is now the 4th best QB in the division and that he and the Browns missed out on a great yr to capitalize on a down division...the Bengals were horrible, the Steelers were down to 3rd or 4th QB...

--Joel Klatt said that if Trevor Lawrence was coming out this yr, he thinks the choice for the Bengals should be Joe Burrow. Says that Lawrence has accuracy problems and looked rattled vs a far worse defense than what Joe Burrow faced. He also says that Zach Taylor's system should fit Burrow's skills to a "T". Compared Burrow to Joe Montana and raved about how other GMs in the NFL were texting last night about what a catchable ball Burrow throws.

Good stuff
    Would have been interesting. Lawrence is three years younger than Burrow and I wonder how much that could have impacted the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Ben Roethlisberger.

I think Big Ben would have been the first overall pick had he played at a Power 5 college. Playing at Miami hurt his visibility.

He can shred defenses in the pocket but can also create on the run like Roethlisberger.
    Not that Burrow is small, but Ben is a lot bigger. A lot of his ability to extend plays comes from shaking off tackles vs. eluding them or running.

Lawrence's skill set plays to the NFL game... good height, will grow into his frame, can run if needed, good arm. I don't think he has Burrows accuracy or ability to read defenses as well but that is nitpicking...there will be plenty of tank teams next season.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Ben Roethlisberger.

I think Lawrence is a good comp for Big Ben. More agile that given credit for, big arm and a big body.

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-14-2020)

Ben Roethlisberger.

Not a good comp IMO. Ben is not a west coast guy who throws to a spot. He drops back, looks for the open guy and heaves it. Ben is kinda in a group all by himself

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Not that Burrow is small, but Ben is a lot bigger. A lot of his ability to extend plays comes from shaking off tackles vs. eluding them or running.
    Joe Burrow: 6’4, 216 lbs
    Ben Roethlisberger: 6’5, 241 lbs

That’s probably being generous on Burrow but its Wikipedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Joe Burrow: 6’4, 216 lbs
    Ben Roethlisberger: 6’5, 241 lbs

That’s probably being generous on Burrow but its Wikipedia.
    After seeing Ben on the sidelines this year i think he eats 241lbs every night.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

16. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (01-14-2020),Hillsdale87 (01-14-2020),North (01-14-2020),RedsBaron (01-19-2020),Redsfaithful (01-14-2020),WVRed (01-14-2020)

Since it's almost a certainty that Burrow will be the pick do the Bengals HAVE to wait to give him a playbook? If so, how long?

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-14-2020)

I don’t know what they can do if he attends the Senior Bowl, but my guess is they will be limited in what they can do at least until the start of the league year, which I think is usually early March.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Since it's almost a certainty that Burrow will be the pick do the Bengals HAVE to wait to give him a playbook? If so, how long?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I don’t know what they can do if he attends the Senior Bowl, but my guess is they will be limited in what they can do at least until the start of the league year, which I think is usually early March.
    Otherwise, the NFL might punish them. Like they did the Patriots for taping the Bengals sideline.

Yep. If I'm the Bengals, Burrow would already have the playbook to study.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Some commentary on the Burrow arm strength thing:

CFP Coaches Film Room sheds light on Joe Burrow question mark
    Jeff Hafley and Mike Gundy put narrative about Joe Burrow’s lack of arm strength to bed
    By Matt Minich@CoachMinich Jan 14, 2020, 12:38pm EST

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/1/1...-football-news
    Last edited by North; 01-15-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Turn Off Ads?