Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's your opinion but isn't it more productive to attack what he says than attack him personally?
    No. Because the list would be quite long, and I don't want to get into it on the Bengal's thread (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if UFAs Dennard and Eifert go elsewhere. Maybe Billings too. To me, it's an open question about Green...lots of missed games the past few years.

Sportrac projects his value at 18.2M for 2 years:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinna.../market-value/

For my 2 cents, I'd like to see their draft address the atrocious linebacking situation, the seemingly-forever OL hunt, and a good possession receiver prospect - I think they need a decent midfield guy. Anything on the DL and d backfield has to wait IMO. But it's the Bengals, and we all know how "getting a steal" is so important to them - even though most of 'em seem to turn out to be duds.

Bag 'O Glass Ross - I cut him. Can't run routes, can't get separation unless it's a footrace, won't contest for the ball, and has hands of stone.

But regardless of what they do with personnel, they darn sure have to do something about the lousy play calling. I don't buy any of this "he has to learn" stuff.
    Last offseason was the worst for the Bengals they have ever had. The bar is set pretty low. Would really like to see evidence there is someone with football knowledge running things this offseason.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I hope he sits. But I wouldn't want Andy Dalton to be QB in that scenario. Bengals should sign someone competent (Fitzpatrick?) for one or two seasons and trade Dalton. Let Burrow get used to the NFL speed and size the same way that Palmer sat behind Kitna for a year.
    We're dinosaurs buddy. Old school . But I agree with you (LOL). Everyone clams that in today's game it's easier for a college player (QB) to transition to the next level (NFL) because that "gap" in scheme/systems between the two has closed. That may be true. I don't know. I see some QBs that do, some that don't. I see a lot of erratic play and struggling. But I'd like to see some hard numbers, if they exist, on that success rate over the last decade. What I've seen so far presents a mixed bag IMO...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...v8cgje8siyk/16

Results
    Sat and succeeded:7
    Palmer, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Smith, Cutler, Goff

Sat and failed:11
    Grossman, Losman, Campbell, Russell, Quinn, Freeman, Tebow,Locker, Ponder, Manziel, Lynch

Started and succeeded: 16
    Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, Newton, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Wentz, Prescott, Trubisky

Started and failed: 12
    Leftwich, Boller, Young, Leinart, Stafford, Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Tannehill, Weeden, Manuel, Smith

So, what did we learn? Grooming a young franchise quarterback is an art, not a science.
    Everything has to be instantaneous anymore. There is very little patience when coaches, players, offenses are expected to produce quick turnarounds. And rushing the young QB is about the only option. It really depends on the circumstances with me.

I really wouldn't want to see my rookie QB lining up next season behind a team, especially an O-line, that resembled the '19 one. The Bengals can have a solid receiving corp if they can stay healthy. But they need to fix their O-line, and it needs to be their top priority if they decide to throw Burrows to the fire.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-16-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-16-2020)

The most value under this current CBA is the system that slots rookie salaries for the first four years. It allows the team with a rookie first round qb to spend money elsewhere. Anyone advocating burrow sit is advocating the team burn 25% of the most valuable situation under this CBA. With respect to as plug and play a qb that has come from college in about a decade.

That’s nonsense.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

7. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (01-18-2020),Boss-Hog (01-16-2020)

I wouldn't be surprised if UFAs Dennard and Eifert go elsewhere. Maybe Billings too. To me, it's an open question about Green...lots of missed games the past few years.

Sportrac projects his value at 18.2M for 2 years:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinna.../market-value/

For my 2 cents, I'd like to see their draft address the atrocious linebacking situation, the seemingly-forever OL hunt, and a good possession receiver prospect - I think they need a decent midfield guy. Anything on the DL and d backfield has to wait IMO. But it's the Bengals, and we all know how "getting a steal" is so important to them - even though most of 'em seem to turn out to be duds.

Bag 'O Glass Ross - I cut him. Can't run routes, can't get separation unless it's a footrace, won't contest for the ball, and has hands of stone.

But regardless of what they do with personnel, they darn sure have to do something about the lousy play calling. I don't buy any of this "he has to learn" stuff.
    AJ will be back under the franchise tag, I think that is pretty much expected. And at this point, if you are running Burrow out there, AJ is a huge advantage for him.

I think Dennard goes, but nothing surprises me. He didn't want to come back to Cincy but the market for his services wasn't there.

Eifort is weird, because I think he "wants" to succeed in Cincy, I just don't know if he can. That said, a healthy Eifort would really help Burrow.

I have heard Glenn is as good as gone, but....... the Bengals are better with him at T than without him. They need to improve the line, if Glenn leaves, that will require more money to do so.

As mentioned above, the rookie contract is the biggest benefit for a team. Year one with Burrow is a building season, years 2-4 are when you really hope to make some hay. Because if he is good (or even average), he won't be cheap after year 4.

The quotes in the Hobson piece this morning are good if you have been worrying about the Bengals over-thinking this and passing him at #1 overall or trading down. Callahan and Van Pelt have eyes, and are on board:

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals...nior-bowl-prep

"He's got natural pocket feel. He feels it," Callahan said. "It seems like he never takes his eyes off down the field. He extends the play really, really well. He's a lot faster than you might assume when you see him running away from all those SEC guys. He's got incredible up-field accuracy. The ball hardly ever hits the ground in a game, which is rare. He just naturally puts the ball in places where those guys can make plays."

Van Pelt: "Creates on the move. Obviously takes care of the ball. Makes good decisions. You can see that with his touchdown-to-interception ratio (60-6). I got to see him (in real time on TV) in the last two games of the year and then when you watch the tape, you're seeing the same things."

They're smiling because it all sounds like understatement and maybe because they've got first crack at Burrow.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Because if he is good (or even average), he won't be cheap after year 4.
    Year 5, no? I thought teams had an option on a fifth year for rookies they can exercise unless that's changed recently?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Random tidbit from twitter this AM...Burrows girlfriend is from Cincinnati and has several pics with Reds gear. Hopefully they don't break up.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Year 5, no? I thought teams had an option on a fifth year for rookies they can exercise unless that's changed recently?
    I don't get worries over any rookie's second contract (not aimed at you). If you get a rookie who is good, you have four full years of value under the current CBA with an option for year 5. If they are good, usually they don't see fifth year option and get a new contract instead. Nevertheless, assuming Burrow gets here and is what I think he is, he should be starting day 1 for this team (I mean, good lord, Dalton started day 1 - not sure why anyone seriously thinks Burrow needs to sit)...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't get worries over any rookie's second contract (not aimed at you). If you get a rookie who is good, you have four full years of value under the current CBA with an option for year 5. If they are good, usually they don't see fifth year option and get a new contract instead. Nevertheless, assuming Burrow gets here and is what I think he is, he should be starting day 1 for this team (I mean, good lord, Dalton started day 1 - not sure why anyone seriously thinks Burrow needs to sit)...
    No doubt that Burrow will start. The NFL is a TV entertainment business, and 1st round quarterbacks are their best shiny new toys.

The quotes in the Hobson piece this morning are good if you have been worrying about the Bengals over-thinking this and passing him at #1 overall or trading down. Callahan and Van Pelt have eyes, and are on board:

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals...nior-bowl-prep
    Who are Callahan and Van Pelt?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Dalton started because he was almost 24 years old and he already had a quick release...much quicker than 80% of the current starting QB's at the time. He also had Andrew Whitworth protecting his blindside 16 games per year, every single play. He also had a Defense that could always give him good field position. Young quarterbacks have their careers derailed when they hold onto the ball too long, run too often, get sacked too often and start their drives from deep in their own territory too often. Dalton was set up for success (with A.J. Green and Eifert) from Day 1.

The Bengals should not cut John Ross right as they get him a QB who can finally throw deep accurately. Ross certainly has his issues, but he's a speed guy, not a guy who's going to specialize in making contested catches, which is required when Dalton is throwing deep. Hopefully he stays around and Burrow hits him in stride a bunch next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Who are Callahan and Van Pelt?
    The offensive coordinator and qb coach for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Dalton started because he was almost 24 years old and he already had a quick release...much quicker than 80% of the current starting QB's at the time. He also had Andrew Whitworth protecting his blindside 16 games per year, every single play. He also had a Defense that could always give him good field position. Young quarterbacks have their careers derailed when they hold onto the ball too long, run too often, get sacked too often and start their drives from deep in their own territory too often. Dalton was set up for success (with A.J. Green and Eifert) from Day 1.
    What?

Burrow is almost 24 too, AJ green was a fellow rookie, Andrew Whitworth was settling in at LT after switching from guard, and bengals didn’t know yet if that was gonna work out and Tyler Eifert was at notre dame. Let’s not pretend dalton walked into a situation that looked ripe for success, that preseason plenty of people picked them to win about two games...

19. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-16-2020),Hillsdale87 (01-16-2020),RiverRat13 (01-16-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?