Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I’m totally not seeing the trade back and take Herbert view at this point - 12 for 17 for 98 yards and a pick at the nine minute mark of the fourth quarter - he has run in three TDs now - two short and one longer just now. Maybe he is like Josh Allen?
    No way the Bengals pass on Burrow, I hope Herbert is in play for the Colts at 13.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If I go back 4 pages, am I going to see people trying to rationalize not taking Joe Burrow? Just stop. Stop now. Entertaining any thoughts of us actually implementing a long term plan and following through with it are futile. So take the best option you have to mitigate the garbage play. That's Joe.

What I would love for us to do is either sign Mariotta, who will want to be a starter, to a 1 or 2 yr deal and do what Miami did with Fitzmagic. Maybe we could convince Andy to do the same. Doubtful, but anyway....the point is sign a serviceable starter in FA. Draft Joe, and then draft OL help. We also need to rejuvenate the secondary. Those are the 3 primary concerns. A good OL to let Mixon get loose and protect Burrow is paramount to our success. But Burrow has long term real franchise potential. You can't pass that up. Either the front office will finally be smart enough to do what's necessary, or they won't. But you can't count on getting a top pick next year or any year. We have it. Draft the QB. And then get him protection.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-02-2020),membengal (01-01-2020)

UK - you will if you go to the previous thread. Lots of “trade back and take Herbert musings”. I do NOT agree with those who were saying it and nothing from Herbert changed my mind today.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I’m totally not seeing the trade back and take Herbert view at this point - 12 for 17 for 98 yards and a pick at the nine minute mark of the fourth quarter - he has run in three TDs now - two short and one longer just now. Maybe he is like Josh Allen?
    I think Josh Allen is much better than Justin Herbert. I see an Akili Smith in Justin Herbert, minus the alcoholism. Herbert is very athletic but I think his NFL comp is Ryan Mallett. As a Bengal fan, I want no part of him, although he does have an arm far superior to Burrow

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm optimistic that they can get back to competing for playoff spots in 2-3 years, although I'm certainly not guaranteeing it. I'm not optimistic that they'll ever compete for a Super Bowl.
    What actions have they taken that makes you optimistic?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Other than Chuck which coach has he hung onto too long? I’m talking Jimmy not his father. He misjudged Grigson and I will say I think Jimmy was in a bad place with opioids that clouded his judgement. They spend picks on the line to build it for Luck he just had the wrong guy picking the players.

Sorry to hijack the Bengals thread. I’m probably in the minority but I think Taylor will be fine and the Bengals are on the upswing.
    Many of the Assistants I was referring to.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Should there be any concern that no coaching changes whatsoever have taken place?

I know Taylor isn’t going anywhere or Anarumo, but how does Jim Taylor still have a job with Bill Callahan on the market?
    We're only a few days into the "off season." It's way too early to say Bill Callahan won't be on this staff next year. Let's wait and see

Joe Goodberry posted an interesting stat. Dalton was pressured on 29% of dropbacks this year, which was actually 4th best in the league. Burrow was pressured on 29% of dropbacks this year as well.

Finley meanwhile was pressured on 49% of dropbacks, which goes to show how much QB play impacts those numbers. Dalton has always gotten the ball out pretty quickly. Burrow should be able to do the same, but should also be more effective when pressured than Dalton was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

membengal (01-02-2020),Redsfaithful (01-02-2020),WrongVerb (01-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We're only a few days into the "off season." It's way too early to say Bill Callahan won't be on this staff next year. Let's wait and see
    Dunno... it took them months to fill the coaching positions they have now. Folks with creds lift their legs on the prospect of working for Brown and company...who "build through the draft" but have a scrawny scouting staff comprised of two bosses and two scouts, who sign a decent FA now and again to appease the continually-gypped fans and taxpayers. What FAs they do sign is usually the result of dumpster diving.

But, it's a new year. Perhaps they will change stripes...
    Last edited by North; 01-02-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Dunno... it took them months to fill the coaching positions they have now. Folks with creds lift their legs on the prospect of working for Brown and company...who "build through the draft" but have a scrawny scouting staff comprised of two bosses and two scouts, who sign a decent FA now and again to appease the continually-gypped fans and taxpayers. What FAs they do sign is usually the result of dumpster diving.
    Which is my point. We'll see if coaching changes happen. I'm kinda torn on where I'd like to see changes. I would have originally said O line but I do think given the talent there or lack thereof , the production was good. How can the O coordinator be blamed if the head coach is calling the plays?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Serious question...what exactly has the current colts ownership done that makes them “completely dumb”?
    I think the Colts have been rather poorly run but hit the jackpot getting the #1 overall pick when a franchise changing QB was sitting there. Its not just the generational QB they drafted, but he was just sitting there, and everyone knew it for an entire season. It was like, well, if you tank this season you get a future Hall of Famer, and no one could really dispute that.

I think Dungy was vastly overrated as a coach. I think he did the bare minimum with the talent he was given. The best coach I think they had over the past two decades was Arians, and he was an intern coach.

I do think some of the Colts success can be attributed to the AFC South being a poor division for those Manning/Luck years. They had a built in advantage of almost 6 wins a season because the Titans, Jags, and Texans just weren't good teams.

In typing this, I don't think the Colts were dumb, I think they were very fortunate but just didn't make the moves to really put the team over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Joe Goodberry posted an interesting stat. Dalton was pressured on 29% of dropbacks this year, which was actually 4th best in the league. Burrow was pressured on 29% of dropbacks this year as well.

Finley meanwhile was pressured on 49% of dropbacks, which goes to show how much QB play impacts those numbers. Dalton has always gotten the ball out pretty quickly. Burrow should be able to do the same, but should also be more effective when pressured than Dalton was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I hope they go best player available through the draft. I have changed my mind on offensive line. If the best player in round 2 or 3 or whatever is an offensive lineman, sure, otherwise just get the best player. I think they can roll with what they have maybe with a Bengals-style FA (scrap heap/character issue/career rebuild) addition.

If you have a tie between a few guys towards the top of the draft maybe you give the tiebreaker to OL/DL/LB but otherwise, just load up on talent.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

16. Likes:

membengal (01-02-2020)

Sam Wyche has passed away, days before his 75th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I hope they go best player available through the draft. I have changed my mind on offensive line. If the best player in round 2 or 3 or whatever is an offensive lineman, sure, otherwise just get the best player. I think they can roll with what they have maybe with a Bengals-style FA (scrap heap/character issue/career rebuild) addition.

If you have a tie between a few guys towards the top of the draft maybe you give the tiebreaker to OL/DL/LB but otherwise, just load up on talent.
    It's a popular opinion with me.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

It's a popular opinion with me.
    I liked him too. He was anything but a vanilla yes man. In fact he was a great guy

Turn Off Ads?