Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Everything Burrow said today was great. He's gonna be really fun to root for as a Bengal. They better not let Carolina steal him away.

One thing though. He's a big fan of 5 man protection. As in, no help from the TEs or RBs. So here we go...

- If the Bengals do nothing to improve the offensive line, and go with 5 man protection, you might as well give Burrow a blindfold and cigarette with this oline.
    - If they do nothing to improve the offensive line, and don't go with 5 man protection, now Burrow is out of his element and won't be as effective. THIS is what I think the Bengals will do.
    - If the Bengals do actually improve the offensive line, that will truly be something to get excited about.
    Of all the offseasons in the history of this franchise, this is one of the most important. To not improve the line would be devastating to the fans, Burrow, his teammates, and the teams future staying in Cincinnati. With the money available, it’s nearly impossible to not only address, but to really improve the line. But, we know what we’re up against.

If they just put in a little effort, not even a full 100%, the Bengals could easily win 6-8 next year. And, the following year, playoffs. It’s so easy in the NFL if you try and have a brain.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everything Burrow said today was great. He's gonna be really fun to root for as a Bengal. They better not let Carolina steal him away.

One thing though. He's a big fan of 5 man protection. As in, no help from the TEs or RBs. So here we go...

- If the Bengals do nothing to improve the offensive line, and go with 5 man protection, you might as well give Burrow a blindfold and cigarette with this oline.
    - If they do nothing to improve the offensive line, and don't go with 5 man protection, now Burrow is out of his element and won't be as effective. THIS is what I think the Bengals will do.
    - If the Bengals do actually improve the offensive line, that will truly be something to get excited about.
    Unfortunately, Zac will call the plays or else there’d be zero use of him as HC. I wish he wasn’t the HC but we’re stuck with him.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Of all the offseasons in the history of this franchise, this is one of the most important. To not improve the line would be devastating to the fans, Burrow, his teammates, and the teams future staying in Cincinnati. With the money available, it’s nearly impossible to not only address, but to really improve the line. But, we know what we’re up against.

If they just put in a little effort, not even a full 100%, the Bengals could easily win 6-8 next year. And, the following year, playoffs. It’s so easy in the NFL if you try and have a brain.
    That assumes the Bengals primary goal is winning football games.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That assumes the Bengals primary goal is winning football games.
    Not necessarily.

During Mike Brown's tenure, the Bengals have won plenty of football games. Even made the playoffs quite a few years in a row there. They can still win games without having winning as the primary goal of the front office. Credit the parity of the NFL for that, just like we credit the parity of the NFL for getting a crack at drafting Joe Burrow.

The million dollar question is, can Burrow overcome Mike Brown's handicaps. It's the elephant in the room. Even if many misunderstand exactly what that elephant is (and they do), it's definitely the elephant they are warning Burrow about. Nevermind the stupid Steeler fans and their "his career will be ruined" nonsense. That's a strawman, easy to discount, and not at all what ex-players are warning Burrow about.

If Burrow has the talent, he will do well here, barring major injury. But Burrow doesn't want to just "do well here" any more than any other super competitive champion wants to "just do well". He wants to dominate. Succeed. Super Bowls. All of it. I love these kinds of players.

He's in for a rude awakening though. Because ownership does not share his competitive fire. That lineman protecting Burrow? That coach calling the plays? It's more important how loyal he is, than how talented he is. And again, that's the elephant, right there.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 02-25-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

George Anderson (02-25-2020),Redhook (02-26-2020),Todd Gack (02-25-2020)

Last offseason (the one before this offseason) was the first time in 4 years that the Reds front office was even trying. Bryan Price's entire tenure was pretty much one big failed tank/rebuild.
    Bob .... Todd said the Reds are putting forth the effort and actually trying to win, and it's a beautiful thing (unlike the Bengals). And what was my response to Todd again Bob? LOL

With all due respect, GAC, you have no idea what you are talking about, in regard to Mike Brown.
    Where have I disagreed with you on Mike Brown Bob? Just not gonna keep beating this dead horse and livin' in the 90s. They have a solid opportunity here, going into '20, with a transition to new leadership making the primary decisions, and I'm simply willing to see what happens, give them that shot. Not costing me anything (lol).

You want to keep ranting about Mike Brown and regurgitating the same talking points and whats going to happen, fine. We'll find out.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Bob .... Todd said the Reds are putting forth the effort and actually trying to win, and it's a beautiful thing (unlike the Bengals). And what was my response to Todd again Bob? LOL

Where have I disagreed with you on Mike Brown Bob? Just not gonna keep beating this dead horse and livin' in the 90s. They have a solid opportunity here, going into '20, with a transition to new leadership making the primary decisions, and I'm simply willing to see what happens, give them that shot. Not costing me anything (lol).

You want to keep ranting about Mike Brown and regurgitating the same talking points and whats going to happen, fine. We'll find out.
    You are a classic case of someone who misunderstands what exactly is going on down at PBS. No, it's not the 1990s. Back then, Mike Brown was minimalist in both cap related and non-cap related expenditures. Now the NFL makes everyone spend to the cap. Because of.... Mike Brown.

He still spends them minimum on non-cap related expenditures. And yes, that severely handicaps the team, from top to bottom. Sprinkle in some cronyism, nepotism, and you have yourself some Bengal Stew right there. If that thrills you.

So, to review, you're whole "this isn't the 1990s, so everything is hunky dory" strawman, ranks right up there with all the Steelers fans saying "Burrow's career will be ruined here".

It has no place in rational Bengals discussion.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Tobin says they will spend in free agency:

https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1232346177552748545

Duke Tobin on free agency: "It's not a question of whether we're going to spend."
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-26-2020),GAC (02-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Question is will anyone want to sign to come here?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Question is will anyone want to sign to come here?
    Burrow might be a pretty good selling point.

13. Likes:

Spanky (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

There can't be any Bobby Hart's or Andre Smith's or Dre Kirkpatrick's. Spending doesn't amount to anything, if it's spent poorly.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

You are a classic case of someone who misunderstands what exactly is going on down at PBS. No, it's not the 1990s. Back then, Mike Brown was minimalist in both cap related and non-cap related expenditures. Now the NFL makes everyone spend to the cap. Because of.... Mike Brown.
    Points already brought up, discussed, and agreed upon how many times now Bob on this thread? The fact that I don't allow myself to get all emotionally tied up inside, ready to explode, over any sports franchise I love/follow does not mean I'm naive when it comes to the actions of the respective management/ownership. Whether it's the Reds, Browns, or Bengals. You can't live in Ohio and follow these teams for over 50 years and not know what's going on with these three friggin organizations (lol).

It just seems to bother you, really get under your skin, that there are fans ... who have experienced the same frustration, heartache, and pain you have over the years. You're no one special ... who are simply holding out hope and wanting better things for this franchise ... and see it possibly in this transition of power and the opportunity this draft holds. That's all.

So what is the problem again Bob?
    Last edited by GAC; 02-27-2020 at 05:35 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Burrow might be a pretty good selling point.
    That may be, but in addition to playing for a penny pinching owner who doesn’t care about winning, Cincinnati isn’t a FA destination.

I hope they spend, but my expectations are low.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

So what is the problem again Bob?
    That you're over here, as a Browns fan, trying to tell people how to be Bengals fans.

Which is fine... free country and all that. But you do so with half-truths and various other misinformation. Then, when I tell you what the actual truth is, you say "yeah we know, heard it a million times," then go back to citing your half-truths.

But my all time favorite, is when you pulled out the "love it or leave it" card, as a Browns fan, in a Bengals thread.

I don't tell you how to be a fan for your team. That would be crazy. But I will say this. If you don't want to hear points reiterated for the millionth time, then quit spouting falsehoods about said points for the millionth time.

It's not like I just come out of left field with them, void of context. It's always in response to someone saying stupid crap like "Mike Brown isn't cheap...he spends to the cap every season!!!!111 and derp derp playoffs!!!11"

So yeah, the problem, (and there isn't really a problem, just using your words), is that in regard to the Bengals, you don't know what you're talking about. And when I have the inclination, I will correct you. Even if it is for the millionth time. Trust me, it baffles me more than anyone else here. Mike Brown's scam is not exactly rocket science.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    That may be, but in addition to playing for a penny pinching owner who doesn’t care about winning, Cincinnati isn’t a FA destination.

I hope they spend, but my expectations are low.
    As Marvin Lewis used to say, "I see better than I hear."

That you're over here, as a Browns fan, trying to tell people how to be Bengals fans.
    Wrong Bob. Call me a loyal Ohioan (born and raised). Yeah, the Browns are my #1 team; but only because they were the only team that existed at the time (lol). But I have avidly been a fan, and followed the Bengals - a divided household of brothers - since they came into the league. That's a long time Bob.

I've been participating in these discussions for years. And not as a Brown's fan. At least that's not how I see it, or am approaching it. But if there are those in this discussion that are uneasy about me participating, then say the word, no hard feelings, and I'll disappear never to reappear. But I'm hear to discuss a team I've followed for a long time - not being naive or ignorant of it's history with ownership, nor the anger and frustration he's brought - but here with other Bengal fans, like any other fan, discussing and trying to figure out what this team should be doing to move forward.

But you do so with half-truths and various other misinformation.

But my all time favorite, is when you pulled out the "love it or leave it" card, as a Browns fan, in a Bengals thread.

I don't tell you how to be a fan for your team. That would be crazy. But I will say this. If you don't want to hear points reiterated for the millionth time, then quit spouting falsehoods about said points for the millionth time.
    Lets clear this up Bob ... concerning Mike Brown (ownership) .... what half-truths, falsehoods, and misinformation have I been spreading? And what have I been saying that you have to correct me on?

And I'm not telling you, or anyone, on how to be a fan. If you think Mike Brown is gonna scam you again, then fine. At some point the discussion has to progress further then ownership rants.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-28-2020 at 03:39 AM.

Wrong Bob. Call me a loyal Ohioan (born and raised). Yeah, the Browns are my #1 team; but only because they were the only team that existed at the time (lol). But I have avidly been a fan, and followed the Bengals - a divided household of brothers - since they came into the league. That's a long time Bob.

I've been participating in these discussions for years. And not as a Brown's fan. At least that's not how I see it, or am approaching it. But if there are those in this discussion that are uneasy about me participating, then say the word, no hard feelings, and I'll disappear never to reappear. But I'm hear to discuss a team I've followed for a long time - not being naive or ignorant of it's history with ownership, nor the anger and frustration he's brought - but here with other Bengal fans, like any other fan, discussing and trying to figure out what this team should be doing to move forward.

Lets clear this up Bob ... concerning Mike Brown (ownership) .... what half-truths, falsehoods, and misinformation have I been spreading? And what have I been saying that you have to correct me on?

And I'm not telling you, or anyone, on how to be a fan. If you think Mike Brown is gonna scam you again, then fine. At some point the discussion has to progress further then ownership rants.
    The only time I comment on Mike Brown these days, is when someone says something in that regard that is simply not true.

Because there's nothing new to talk about there, I agree.

But I think I'm even done with doing that. The next time someone says something blatantly false as far as Mike Brown's scam goes, I think just a canned response

You're wrong. Go read a book.
    may have to do.

Turn Off Ads?