Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Look at that speed, Mike, just look at that speed !

364-pound (lineman) Mekhi Becton turns heads with 5.10-second 40-yard dash at NFL combine

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...me/4910182002/

2. Turn Off Ads?

What are the odds that the Bengals trade either their 2nd or 3rd Round picks?

A normal franchise with a real G.M. would trade away both of these coveted picks if they had the same needs the Bengals have. They could receive a proven Starter, another pick in the same round, and an extra 5th or 6th Round pick. That's four starters for two plus two more picks to be used on LB's, G's, WR's, C's, RB's, TE's, ST. You aren't going to find a decent CB, S, DL, OT or QB in the 5th/6th, but the other positions you can, where a decent LB, RB, TE and WR doubles as a quality ST player, and with roster size, practice squad and salary cap all increasing, they can afford to trade for the established Starters.

Anyway, I give them a 1% chance they trade either one of them. Remember Jimmy Johnson's words: Nobody even bothers to call Mike Brown because he's always trying to screw them over and the call is a waste of time [which is why the Bengals are one of only two frachises who have all of their future picks, no more, no less (Chargers being the other....Rivers will rejuvenate his career in Indy, a career with several excellent years left if it's continued in Indiana)].
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What are the odds that the Bengals trade either their 2nd or 3rd Round picks?

A normal franchise with a real G.M. would trade away both of these coveted picks if they had the same needs the Bengals have. They could receive a proven Starter, another pick in the same round, and an extra 5th or 6th Round pick. That's four starters for two plus two more picks to be used on LB's, G's, WR's, C's, RB's, TE's, ST. You aren't going to find a decent CB, S, DL, OT or QB in the 5th/6th, but the other positions you can, where a decent LB, RB, TE and WR doubles as a quality ST player, and with roster size, practice squad and salary cap all increasing, they can afford to trade for the established Starters.

Anyway, I give them a 1% chance they trade either one of them. Remember Jimmy Johnson's words: Nobody even bothers to call Mike Brown because he's always trying to screw them over and the call is a waste of time [which is why the Bengals are one of only two frachises who have all of their future picks, no more, no less (Chargers being the other....Rivers will rejuvenate his career in Indy, a career with several excellent years left if it's continued in Indiana)].
    The Bengals are in a very valuable situation with the first pick of the 2nd Round (33rd). That means you got first crack at any player who didn't go 1st Round. And yeah, that means a lot... https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/2/2...-trade-options

In that way, the pick holds a little extra value. Teams who covet a player that remains on the board after the first round has ended have a little extra time to consider making a trade and the Bengals hold the most valuable position of the day. The Bengals could get a great player with that pick, but maybe they could do even better by trading it.
    JMO, but I wouldn't even consider trading that pick till it reaches it's "peak value" (end 1st Rd). Other then Burrow, IMO, the Bengal's top priority is the OL. There is a solid class coming out, and very good chance one will be available for that pick. The only way I trade away that pick is if they're able to fill a critical need for the upcoming season. But if one of those OL players is available, I'd have to think long and hard before trading it away. But at least you're in the position (unique) to have those options coming your way.

The Bengals need to be smart, while also aggressive here. Sorry if I'm a cock-eyed optimist that sees they can greatly improve their fortunes (direction) with this draft. It all comes down to will they allow Tobin, Taylor, and staff, to do their job and call the shots?
    Last edited by GAC; 02-29-2020 at 03:18 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The only time I comment on Mike Brown these days, is when someone says something in that regard that is simply not true.

Because there's nothing new to talk about there, I agree.

But I think I'm even done with doing that. The next time someone says something blatantly false as far as Mike Brown's scam goes, I think just a canned response

may have to do.
    I agree Bob. But I'm still trying to figure out what misinformation or falsehoods I said about Mike Brown and his tenure as owner? You've created a "disagreement" between us that doesn't (or shouldn't) exist (lol). I can quote myself numerous times in these discussions where I not only agreed with people's position on Brown's tightfisted handling of this organization, but called him every name in the book myself (lol). I know exactly what he has done to this organization. No argument.

But if Mike is transitioning, handing power over - if that's true - you'll see it in this upcoming draft. I don't think Mike will ever be totally out of the picture till you know when. But as far as who is making the decisions anymore? I think we are seeing a changing of the guard, which is good.

The BIG question is how much did that old guard pass on to the new and influence them? Valid question and concern. And the only way we're going to find out is fasten your seat-belts and see what they do in this draft. They're on the clock, and believe me, we'll know one way or another.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-29-2020)

Kingspoint, they trade back in the second all the time, what are you talking about? They just did that last year.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

8. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (02-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Kingspoint, they trade back in the second all the time, what are you talking about? They just did that last year.
    They did on 2017 with Mixon too. They should trade down if the right opportunity is there, but who knows how the first round will play out. If Murray or Queen fall, they should take a LB, but if not they have a lot of options. The nice thing is there's a whole day between rounds 1 and 2, so there will be plenty of time to work out a deal of they want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking about this being different because several teams should be interested. Please don't act like it's a common thing for them to play the draft and not let the draft play them. What did they gain with their trade down in the 2nd Round? Nothing, if I recall, while they completely ignored needs last year. Last year's draft and free agency was a complete failure. I wouldn't point to that one as an example of doing things correctly. You still didn't answer the question, though. What are the chances that they trade either pick? I maintain that it's 1%.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    They did on 2017 with Mixon too. They should trade down if the right opportunity is there, but who knows how the first round will play out. If Murray or Queen fall, they should take a LB, but if not they have a lot of options. The nice thing is there's a whole day between rounds 1 and 2, so there will be plenty of time to work out a deal of they want to

There is no "should be". As you said, everyone has to wait until the 1st Round is over with before seeing what trade opportunities open up. It will vary from team to team. The Bengals should have a plan in place where they obtain multiple 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Round picks, while acquiring extra picks for next season, too. This team lacks talent and needs help, not just from the draft, but help from established Starters from other teams via trade.

This fantasy world where fans think the Bengals will win 7+ games just because they have Joe Burrow will be singing the same tune next season as the Bengals have another Top-4 pick if they don't change the way they did things last season by leaps and bounds. Everything they did last off-season was wrong. Everything they did during the season was wrong. Everything they have done so far this season has been wrong. Still waiting for things to be different.

They traded back last year in the second last year and got an extra 4th and 6th. They traded down the year before in the first and got Cordy Glenn in the deal. Hillsdale mentioned the trade back in 2017. Literally, the last three years they’ve traded back to get either extra draft capital or a player. You made it sound like they never do that and that no one would trade with them. That’s abjectly factually a lie.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Jimmy Johnson went 2-14 his first year.

They drafted Aikman, then Aikman got hurt so they drafted high again.

Then they hit the jackpot on pretty much the entire draft.

Then they were perennial playoff/Super Bowl contenders.

That would be a nice trajectory for the Bengals.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jimmy Johnson went 2-14 his first year.

They drafted Aikman, then Aikman got hurt so they drafted high again.

Then they hit the jackpot on pretty much the entire draft.

Then they were perennial playoff/Super Bowl contenders.

That would be a nice trajectory for the Bengals.
    They also traded Herschel Walker for a boatload of picks.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    They also traded Herschel Walker for a boatload of picks.
    Yep.

It would be like if Katie and Troy would have traded Green, Dalton and Adkins at the trade deadline, instead of hanging out in Switzerland with their phones on silent.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

WrongVerb (02-29-2020)

Yep.

It would be like if Katie and Troy would have traded Green, Dalton and Adkins at the trade deadline, instead of hanging out in Switzerland with their phones on silent.
    I don't think there would have been much of a market for Dalton at the deadline. I'm glad they kept Green as long as they sign him for a couple years. Atkins though probably should have been traded

They traded back last year in the second last year and got an extra 4th and 6th. They traded down the year before in the first and got Cordy Glenn in the deal. Hillsdale mentioned the trade back in 2017. Literally, the last three years they’ve traded back to get either extra draft capital or a player. You made it sound like they never do that and that no one would trade with them. That’s abjectly factually a lie.
    What did they get with the 2nd Round pick last year that they traded down for? What they did the two years before doesn't matter because it was Mike Brown's last two years of running the football operations, of which I was happy with him as he was trying to do things every year he hadn't done before, such as the trade for Glenn, though had he kept Whitworth, he never would have the whole Glenn mess to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What did they get with the 2nd Round pick last year that they traded down for? What they did the two years before doesn't matter because it was Mike Brown's last two years of running the football operations, of which I was happy with him as he was trying to do things every year he hadn't done before, such as the trade for Glenn, though had he kept Whitworth, he never would have the whole Glenn mess to deal with.
    Whether they got good value for it is irrelevant to your point. You implied that the Bengals wouldn't be willing to trade down in the 2nd, but they clearly are. Their inability to capitalize is frustrating, but they do it, and I'd expect them to be ready to do it again this year.

Also, where did you hear that Mike Brown was running football operations, but isn't now? Has this been reported? Any draft decisions and trades almost certainly go through Tobin.

20. Likes:

membengal (02-29-2020)

Turn Off Ads?