Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Joe Burrow is literally how the Bengals finally win a Super Bowl. This is it, right here.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Likes:

membengal (01-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Joe Burrow is literally how the Bengals finally win a Super Bowl. This is it, right here.
    It is just about the only path I can envision, yes. IF he's truly amazing, it is the one thing that could MAYBE help them overcome the front office incompetence.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Can't remember where I saw it (Twitter or maybe The Athletic), but Burrow will be invited to the Senior Bowl. He probably won't play in the game, but the Bengals see it as a chance to be with him all week to take stock... and the Burrows see it as a chance to take stock of the Bengals.

Not letting any grass growing, the Bengals ink a youthful long snapper to a futures contract (?):

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/1/6...tures-contract

Must be planning on doing a lot of punting next season...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Can't remember where I saw it (Twitter or maybe The Athletic), but Burrow will be invited to the Senior Bowl. He probably won't play in the game, but the Bengals see it as a chance to be with him all week to take stock... and the Burrows see it as a chance to take stock of the Bengals.
    The last time I can remember a player forcing himself from one organization was Eli and that was 16 years ago. I just don't buy the idea that Burrow will force himself out of going #1 to Cincy. And add to the fact that Mike Brown isn't going to let a guy walk who he drafted #1 overall.

The Burrow's can take stock of the Bengals organization, but they have as much leverage as I do in dictating what happens with the #1 overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Super Bowl, hell. I'll be thrilled with winning a playoff game. I'm tired of the media reminding us of that

I really don't see Joe Burrow as a guy who'll refuse to play for the Bengals...but if he or anyone else did, Mike Brown would wait him out. No way he'd get traded

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Super Bowl, hell. I'll be thrilled with winning a playoff game. I'm tired of the media reminding us of that
    This is our guy.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Here's another holy crap Burrow chart - (definitely worth the click through since I still can't figure out how to embed):

https://twitter.com/PFF_Anthony/stat...70915858567168
    These embed fine for me on my phone, but not on my laptop for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Not letting any grass growing, the Bengals ink a youthful long snapper to a futures contract (?):

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/1/6...tures-contract

Must be planning on doing a lot of punting next season...
    In all seriousness, he's signed simply to give Harris a break in mini-camps and training camp. He was with them last off-season too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    These embed fine for me on my phone, but not on my laptop for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, thanks. Probably for me too then - don't see the embed on my PC for whatever reason.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Burrow is 6'4''. Dalton is listed at 6'2''. Dalton is not 6'2''.

It will be fun to watch short passes over the middle not bounce off of linemen or sail high, because the QB can't see over his linemen.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I will repeat it one more time:

Only the Chargers and Bengals have not traded away or acquired future draft picks at this point...the Chargers because they have been in extreme transformation and the Bengals because they just don't care.

For those who can't comprehend this, doing nothing is called apathy.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

There was a lot I liked about this year.
    1) They actually completed the tank. Worst thing you can be in the NFL is 6-10 to 8-8. NFL Purgatory is a lonely place
    2) Taylor and Co actually took stock of the roster/running game halfway through year at bye week and changed up a lot to improve. Liked the fact he wasn't beholden to the 11 personnel that this roster was absolutely not set up to succeed with.
    3) Felt like a lot of guys played hard all year. Dunlap/Mixon got better even though the season was a lost season.

I have a lot of Aaron Rodgers feels for Joe Burrow, in that he's always looking down field and can deliver passes with accuracy on the run. Saw that Brees' longest throw of the season was 43 yards that was attempted Sunday and that was intercepted. Arm Strength anymore isn't the end all/be all. Burrow's intangibles are off the chart. It's a slam dunk pick.

16. Likes:

membengal (01-07-2020),North (01-07-2020),paintmered (01-08-2020),Sea Ray (01-07-2020),WVRed (01-07-2020)

Here's yet another great read trying to put Burrow's season in context from 538:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...=story-twitter

Some highlights:

It has barely mattered what coverage a defense is in against Burrow. Burrow’s adjusted completion percentage of 82.5, which weights completions by air yards and excludes drops and throwaways, is the highest mark in the nine-season sample from the ESPN Stats & Information Group. (By comparison, starting major conference QBs over that same stretch recorded an average adjusted completion mark of 67.7 percent.) ESPN has tracked coverage splits the past two seasons, and Burrow’s completion marks receive top billing against man (72.0) and zone (77.6).3

Few are better than Burrow at buying time or can tout more absurd on-the-run accuracy. “We had a hard time, obviously, corralling him back there,” said Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, perhaps referring to the Peach Bowl play in which Burrow scrambled out of the pocket, sprinted toward his sideline, avoided a tackle and completed a fadeaway 30-yard pass while getting drilled. “We’re certainly not the only ones that have.” When pressured, Burrow still completes 73.9 percent of his passes, a clip 9.5 percentage points better than any other player in the country and the top mark produced by any QB since at least 2011.4. He also has a 211.2 passer efficiency rating, the highest among qualified passers over that stretch, and has thrown 19 touchdowns, five clear of any other QB in a single season.

It should also be mentioned that Burrow’s team has been so destructive — with the Tigers winning by an average margin of 27.2 points — that it has limited his performance. Burrow has logged only 95 snaps in the fourth quarter or overtime, which ranks outside the top 125 QBs nationally. But even without as many dropbacks as he could have accumulated, Burrow is still outperforming almost every other quarterback since 2004:
    Last edited by membengal; 01-08-2020 at 10:15 AM.

18. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-08-2020)

Loving all the hype.

Turn Off Ads?