Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Yes, the Bengals could save approx $16M by cutting Dalton; but, IMO, I still say the chances are slim they cut him. While it's fun to discuss it, it doesn't matter what any of us think on how Burrows should be handled (start/sit) ... what's the Bengal's approach, and who is making that decision? And what all should be considered in that decision?

Some seem to contend (out of frustration with Dalton, he's the goat) cut him, get him as far away from this organization like right now! Retaining him is seen as "getting in the way" of Burrow's debut. We don't need him.

JMO. Basically "dumping" veteran Dalton and betting the pot on a highly talented, but still yet unproven QB, carries risk. How great is the level of that risk? You don't know.

To the Browns (Bengals) - what, if any, are the advantages of retaining Dalton for '20? Yeah. The "disadvantage" is you have to pay him. IMO, regardless of how "frugal" the Browns are, it may not weigh too heavily (drop in the bucket really).

Advantages of retaining Dalton ....

- who backs Burrows up in case he struggles, gets banged up (injured), whatever? If, God forbid, anything happens to Burrows, and you have no capable back-up, your season is shot. Sign somebody? You not only got "somebody", but he's under contract, and who better to backup and even mentor this rookie then someone who has been in, and knows, the system, the players, etc? Having Dalton on that sideline, even if the decision is made to start Burrows, is far more advantageous (IMO) for Bengals/Burrows then not having him there.

And having Dalton in training camp/pre-season raises the level of competition, and also tells Burrows he still has to prove himself. It takes some of the pressure off Burrows too. A lot of stuff, like injuries, go down in the pre-season, and teams all of a sudden need a QB. A situation the Browns would love to be in.

I think there are more advantages to retaining Dalton then dumping him.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-17-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

No.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No.
    Agreed. There's next to zero chance the Bengals (or any team) are paying a backup QB $17 million - especially when they have holes all over the roster. On top of that, they'd be losing whatever mid to late round pick they can get in a trade.

5. Likes:

membengal (01-17-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-17-2020)

2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Hopefully this can now be put to bed. Burrow has no issues with going to the Bengals

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rafted-bengals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-17-2020),membengal (01-17-2020),reds77 (01-17-2020),Redsfaithful (01-17-2020),WVRed (01-17-2020)

Dalton will be traded, probably with a renegotiated contract.

I think now is when the Bengals should try and build. If you can get a great return for Atkins or Dunlap, I think you move them. If you can't, you hold onto them.

AJ has to return right now. He gives Burrow help, and the franchise tender allows him to prove himself again.

In regards to the 5th year option, I thought that is when the rookie contracts begin to escalate substantially. Its all moot if Burrow is any good, he will have that option picked up, or receive a massive extension.

The national media misses a lot of things with the Bengals, and since they will be in the spotlight a little bit over the next few months I expect that to get worse.

One thing I think they'll miss with Dalton is that the Bengals generally aren't punitive with long time players. i.e. they reward good play with contract extensions and then they play out the entire extension even if the player fades a bit.

Point being with Dalton here, I think the franchise likes him, and so I think they will trade him without drama while trying to put him into a good situation.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-17-2020),membengal (01-17-2020),Revering4Blue (01-19-2020)

Just another article about the interview with Burrow's dad: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...y-with-bengals

I think it's only good news that Burrow isn't likely to shun the Bengals. Get this kid to like Skyline Chili and all will be well in the world.

It's time to start taking bets on whether or not Burrow will wear #9 or #10 as a Bengal.

Trade Dalton and Green as a package deal on draft day, someone will bite hard.

NCAA Determines Becoming A Bengal Punishment Enough For Joe Burrow Taking Cash From Odell Beckham

https://sports.theonion.com/ncaa-det...m_medium=email
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    QB coach Alex Van Pelt has been around for a long time. Was Aaron Rogers' coach for several years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Van_Pelt
    Rogers was already an MVP before he bacame his QB Coach. Maybe he learned something from Rogers. He certainly didn't teach him anthing, anymore than he taught his Buffalo QB's or his Packers' RB's anything.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Bengals signed Al Golden to be their LB coach. We can almost be assured that our LB's will not just completely suck next year, but just absolutely blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Rogers was already an MVP before he bacame his QB Coach. Maybe he learned something from Rogers. He certainly didn't teach him anthing, anymore than he taught his Buffalo QB's or his Packers' RB's anything.
    Well, let's can him then.

You are being weird about this. Rodgers was furious last year when Green Bay let Van Pelt go.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

18. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-17-2020)

Rodgers is a fan of Van Pelt:

Alex Van Pelt is no longer the quarterbacks coach of the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers was not happy with the decision. Rodgers said he was surprised by the Packers decision to let Van Pelt go and thought it was strange they made the move without talking to him. Van Pelt, who is now the quarterbacks coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, spoke about his experience with the Packers on the Bengals website (via Rob Demovsky of ESPN) and he said leaving was not an easy decision.

“It’s never easy to leave someplace that you’ve been, especially when you have a relationship with the people you worked with,” Van Pelt said. “So it’s tough.”

Van Pelt heard what Rodgers had to say and he was appreciative of his comments.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    You are being weird about this. Rodgers was furious last year when Green Bay let Van Pelt go.
    He didn't need him. Was kidding about not knowing Van Pelt. Never been a fan of his.

Turn Off Ads?