Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    GAC, a couple points: Zach Taylor doesn't have control over the draft - that belongs to their defacto GM, Duke Tobin. Tobin and his (small) team appear to have assumed more control following Marvin being brought back in 2011 when Carson was demanding a trade. Taylor undoubtedly has input on the draft, but so has every coach who has ever worked for Mike Brown, and I'd imagine Taylor has less input than Marvin considering the equity Marvin built up with Brown over the years.

Katie was one of the people, if not the primary person, leading the recent coaching search, but I think you're making it sound a bit too much like it was solely her decision. Mike has been increasingly transitioning authority to Katie, Troy, Paul Brown and Tobin to assume his responsibilities for quite some time (long before last offseason), and those four were collectively in charge of the Taylor hire. As his oldest child, Katie is probably the most well known out of the group, but she's definitely not the only one making these decisions. The final decisions still go through Mike, but those four run the team on a day-to-day basis.
    You very well could be right on the draft decision, but I thought I read last year (draft time) that Taylor (and coaching staff) were controlling the draft. My oversight on Tobin. Easily forgettable person (lol). And I realize it's been a three-way "tandem" in the decision-making with Kathie, Troy, and Paul; but that Katie, as Executive VP, was carrying more "authority" as Mike was stepping away from the decision-making .....

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/2...ure-of-the-nfl

While it isn’t Katie Blackburn by herself, she has clearly emerged as the apparent heir to the Bengals throne ahead of her brother Paul Brown. It appears that how Taylor fairs as a head coach will be the first judgement of how well Blackburn will fair as the lead decision maker.

bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/25/mike-brown-explains-transition-power-within-bengals-front-office/

That administrative team, led by Brown’s daughter Katie, led the charge in hiring Zac Taylor away from the Los Angeles Rams after the Super Bowl.
    My whole point is simply this Boss ..... I certainly understand every Bengal fan's intense hatred for Mike Brown. It's fine if they agree with what Carson says. But don't SIDE with the guy to the point/degree where he's trying to hurt your organization and hinder it from getting better, going in the right direction by telling quality players to not go there.

Go into this draft, see what they do, and give them a chance.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Tobin has the best resume there.
    The rest of them have zero qualifications to be in that role.
    Zero qualifications? Hardly.

I don't understand why you put yourself through all this if Mike Brown has caused you such pain and anguish deep in your soul? I'd walk away completely before I'd allow it to take me to these lengths. Ain't worth it. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 02-13-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Joe Goodberry had a series of Tweets talking about the Bengals in Free Agency that I found amusing. https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/sta...33385603985408

Searching for potential Bengals free agent targets but filtering out the players that are expensive and the ones 29 years and older.

A bit sobering, but helps reset expectations.
    Guards:
    Joe Haeg - Colts
    Ereck Flowers - Washington
    Wes Schweitzer - Falcons
    Quinton Spain - Bills

Linebackers:
    Nick Kwiatkowski - Bears
    Kevin Pierre-Louis - Bears
    David Mayo - Giants
    Reggie Ragland - Chiefs

Most of these are tier 2/3 guys.
    I think that's where the Bengals are comfortable (closer to tier 3).

BW Webb was a T3 signing last year. I'd say John Miller was T2 given the contract. Kerry Wynn was T4.

Someone then responded with this:
    This is partly what Carson means when he says there is no commitment to winning a Super Bowl. When your big moves are tier 3/4 signings, you are committed to filling out a roster with JAGs. Nothing more.
    Joe Responded with:
    This is exactly what he means

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020)

I agree, but only partially.

People always want to look at cap related data as evidence of Mike Brown's lack of commitment to winning. By doing so, they are missing the mark (mostly).
    Brown spends with the best of them, in regard to player salaries. He has to. It's called the "Mike Brown Rule:"

Starting with that season, each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation, and 90% in future years. ... The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor.
    Personally, I blame lazy journalism for the tired narrative pushed by national media, falsely claiming Mike Brown is a cheapskate in regard to the salary cap, player contracts, etc.

Where Brown can be criticized, in regard to cap money, is where his priorities do lie. Things like loyalty always take precedent over talent. It's how guys like Bobby Hart get a multi-year contract when they should be picking up cigarette butts in the parking lot instead. It's how Hue Jackson gets brought back to Cincinnati after his body of work in Cleveland. It's how Marvin Lewis kept his job for 20+ years. And it's how Zac Taylor got his.

It all paint the same picture of the same thing. The Bengals franchise is not a merit-based franchise. It is rotten with nepotism and that alone poisons the well. Coupled with things like loyalty being rewarded over merit, and THAT is precisely what Carson Palmer means.

And I haven't even mentioned non-cap related expenditures. Mike Brown's self-inflicted handicaps are even worse there, honestly.

But as tired as I am of Mike Brown's scam. I am equally tired of lazy false narratives about Mike Brown pushed by national journalists, unwilling or unable to do the slightest bit of research before mashing their keys and hitting submit. 10 years ago it was the same lazy nonsense, calling the Bengals "criminals" and all that. Because stuff like that ends up being a big strawman, distracting from the actual scam itself.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

For the record, Goodberry also said it’s partially true because it’s not all cap related as well.

We will end up using the cap space to resign the losers we already have on the team.

On a side note, can we really trust homophobic Joe Mixon not to beat any women or assault a parking attendant if he signs a contract extension? We end up picking guys like Mixon because no one else wants him and we get great “value” on a guy in the 2nd round. I have a feeling he’ll end up getting in trouble again.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If #1 doesn't happen, then I'd lay money that #2 will. If there's any team that will go to great lengths to sabotage its own success, it's the Bengals.
    It sure looks like Joe Burrow will be a Bengal. Yesterday his mother shot down rumors that suggested otherwise:

Robin Burrow on Joe not wanting Bengals to draft him: 'No idea where that comes from'

Heisman Trophy winner and potential 2020 NFL Draft No. 1 pick Joe Burrow's mother, Robin, isn't sure about the origin of the narrative that her son doesn't want to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, but she insists there's nothing to it.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...im/4788585002/

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It sure looks like Joe Burrow will be a Bengal. Yesterday his mother shot down rumors that suggested otherwise:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...im/4788585002/
    I'm amused you keep bringing this up as if it's a source of embarrassment for me. It's kinda cute, actually. I'm just glad you're not charging me rent for living in your head.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

GAC (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm amused you keep bringing this up as if it's a source of embarrassment for me. It's kinda cute, actually. I'm just glad you're not charging me rent for living in your head.
    You're not the only one that predicted this. I'll grant you that

Recent comments by former #1 pick Steve Bartowksi: “They're Ohio guys [and] I might've offended them by telling them that, but if it's the Bengals, I think I'd pull an Eli Manning on that one," Bartowski said. "I said, 'You've got a chance to do that.' That's happened. [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego."

And, the hits keep on coming. You’d have to think that all of these negative comments about the Bengals organization would be embarrassing and frustrating to them. And, maybe there would be some self-reflection on why so many bad comments are coming out about them. Like, were/are we really that bad? Why would players want to avoid playing for us?

It’d be so nice if the organization came out and said something about their past failures, that they’ve learned from that and realize that they need to do more. Then, show HOW they’re going to do more, not just the bare minimum. It’s not going to happen, obviously, but any sane person/organization in this situation would try to change its image that they have rightfully earned and have done absolutely nothing to change it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Steve Bartkowski? Like his Atlanta Falcons were any better?

I think the NFL might have to step in here and quietly set some folks straight. No way they want to start a trend where top college talents refuse to play for bad teams. That's counter to the system the NFL has set up

15. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-18-2020)

I think the NFL might have to step in here and quietly set some folks straight. No way they want to start a trend where top college talents refuse to play for bad teams. That's counter to the system the NFL has set up
    The Falcons were terrible too. There’s more to it than that quote. Bartkowski was saying he was hurt all the time his first 3 years because the team was so bad and Burrow should try to get out of playing for the Bengals for the same reasons.

I wish the NFL would step in and set some folks straight.....the Brown’s 🤣. In all seriousness, it’s not a good look for the NFL and does go against the system. But, the Bengals have brought this negativity to themselves. If they would just try....
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I think you're missing the point entirely. Which is strange... I can't believe I'm typing this again, because it really is beating a dead horse to do so. But then, comments like yours continue to pop up. Again, really strange... Ok fine, here goes. Again.

It's not that the Bengals are bad. Plenty of teams are bad. It's the NFL.
    And it's not that they haven't won a playoff game in 30 years. Plenty of teams go through long spells without a playoff win.
    It's not what the Bengals spend on the cap. Everyone has to spend around the same amount.
    It's none of these things that people who really should know better, keep coming back to (for some reason).

It's Mike Brown. It's the fact that winning is not top priority, and that loyalty is rewarded above merit. It poisons the well from the top on down. You NEVER want to work for a company like this. I have. It sucks. People in management positions who are terrible at their jobs, only there because of their last name. Or because they were loyal. It's really just an awful environment to work in. Sucks the life right out of you. And all the money in the world doesn't make it any better. THAT is PRECISELY what Carson Palmer is talking about.

"Bad teams?" Are you freaking kidding me?

I want Burrow to sign here. But if he's smart, he'll find a way not to. Because unless he can walk on water (and I hope he can), Burrow will be ruined here, while Mike Brown wipes his butt with Burrow's 1-ply "leverage".

Burrow convincing Mike Brown to take steps that other NFL teams are taking to try to win a Super Bowl? Child please. Burrow won't even be able to convince Mike Brown to turn the PBS Office thermostat above 67.

And yes... But if it's such a dead horse, why do people keep saying uninformed things like what I quoted above from you?

Again... it's just strange. Especially coming from you. Because I know you know better.

"Bad teams..."
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 02-18-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020),Redhook (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Joe Goodberry had a series of Tweets talking about the Bengals in Free Agency that I found amusing. https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/sta...33385603985408

Someone then responded with this:

Joe Responded with:
    I would love it if the Bengals went after Tier-3 Free Agents instead of always the Tier-5 garbage pile that they try to comb through. People who claim that Free Agency success isn't part of winning organization have no idea what they are talking about. In order to win a Championship, Free Agency must regularly be used from year to year and at a minimum, multiple Tier-3 or higher players need to be added. The Bengals have never ever tried. They have in fact intentionally tried not to, guaranteeing failure year after year (if you didn't win a playoff game, your season was a failure, which is where the lowest bar is set by successful franchises).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Recent comments by former #1 pick Steve Bartowksi: “They're Ohio guys [and] I might've offended them by telling them that, but if it's the Bengals, I think I'd pull an Eli Manning on that one," Bartowski said. "I said, 'You've got a chance to do that.' That's happened. [John] Elway kind of set the tone, then the Mannings delved into it after Eli was picked by San Diego."

And, the hits keep on coming. You’d have to think that all of these negative comments about the Bengals organization would be embarrassing and frustrating to them. And, maybe there would be some self-reflection on why so many bad comments are coming out about them. Like, were/are we really that bad? Why would players want to avoid playing for us?

It’d be so nice if the organization came out and said something about their past failures, that they’ve learned from that and realize that they need to do more. Then, show HOW they’re going to do more, not just the bare minimum. It’s not going to happen, obviously, but any sane person/organization in this situation would try to change its image that they have rightfully earned and have done absolutely nothing to change it.
    Yes,...Donald Sterling folowers agree.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?