Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

From what I've read, Katie has been handling the contract negotiations for many, many years. And is well-respected around the league and considered an experienced, tough negotiator. Whether that's good or bad I don't know (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    From what I've read, Katie has been handling the contract negotiations for many, many years. And is well-respected around the league and considered an experienced, tough negotiator. Whether that's good or bad I don't know (lol).
    The Bengals have always been tough negotiators. That hasn't been their problem

Pretty good read:

Predicting the fate of every Bengals free agent
    Two former first-round picks and a lot of other players have likely seen their last days in a Bengals uniform. Before free agency begins, we predicted what will happen with every one of Cincinnati’s free agents.

By John Sheeran@John__Sheeran Mar 7, 2020, 7:00am EST.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/3/7...ts-predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Bengals have always been tough negotiators. That hasn't been their problem
    I know that. I was just kind of following up on what Boss just said, and adding that Katie's been in charge of negotiating Bengal contracts for a long time. She's not new to the scene or inexperienced. She's respected, tough. So some of the finger-pointing can go at her on this issue if one wants.

I'm sure we all have read this 2014 article on Mike Brown saying he has been ceding control to the "committee"; but I like what this GM states .... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...o-marvin-lewis

"I don't know if anyone really knows (the organizational structure) -- I really don't," one AFC general manager told NFL Media's Albert Breer this offseason. "Because that family keeps it close to the vest."

It's clear that the Brown family has begun to rely more heavily on Lewis and his coaching staff for personnel decisions, while Blackburn handles contract matters.
    And many are still trying to figure out who is really running the show? Yeah, it's assumed or accepted that the "committee" is doing so.... but as long as Mike has breath in his body, is on the premises, it's certainly justifiable to believe he is still the final word (lol). It was his decision two years ago to fire close friend Lewis.

When the "dust" settles, I think Katie was groomed to be that final word. JMO.

Mike Brown has inflicted some very deep "wounds", sown years of mistrust. Not an easy thing to get over, even if there has been a changing of the guard.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-08-2020),North (03-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Mike Brown has inflicted some very deep "wounds", sown years of mistrust. Not an easy thing to get over, even if there has been a changing of the guard.
    Yep. Plenty of anecdotes out there about other clubs who find it worthless to discuss trades with the Bengals.

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-10-2020)

Last year's brilliant Free Agency job by Bengals' Ownership continues to pay off as zero compensatory picks are awarded to the Bengals today.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

North (03-11-2020)

Free agency is here again.

And as usual, the Bengals shoot out of the gate, firing on all cylinders.

You can almost taste the sense of urgency from the front office, coming off of a disappointing season.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

You can almost taste the sense of urgency from the front office, coming off of a disappointing season.
    Hate to say it, but you are right. I have zero confidence in this organization. Just once it would be nice to be wrong about this ownership group and see them deviate from the norm. Maybe this is the year since it is day one, but nothing I have heard gives me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Don't worry: They'll resign the homophobic wife beater for 14 million a year, one of their CB for 10-12 million a year, and a couple of other guys to max out their salary cap and proclaim victory like they always do.

Back when there was no cap floor and they were pocketing money not spent on the cap, I didn't like it, but at least I understood it. They were being cheap.

But these days? It's more like autopilot. Which makes no sense. These days they just re-up a few of their own, sign a few scrubs, and call it an off-season.

Why not try? They have to spend like everyone else now. Is it really that difficult? To try?

That family... I swear...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quarterback AJ McCarron will not become an unrestricted NFL free agent on Wednesday, when his current contract with the Houston Texans was due to expire.

Via his Instagram account, the former Alabama All-American announced that he was returning to the Texans for the 2020 season.

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/03/aj...nt-market.html

They’re seriously not mentioned anywhere regarding any free agent. It’s incredible. They’ll have to restructure Bobby Hart’s contract and resign Andre Smith for the 7th time just to reach the cap floor.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Rotoworld's comments:

Cincinnati spending $53 million in free agency is as rare as rocking horse manure, so it's time to celebrate Bengals fans. Reader was a hot commodity on the open market because he's young (26) and has flashed potential, particularly as a run-defender. Last season, the Bengals allowed the most rushing yards per game (149) and were 28th in run defense DVOA. Reader alone should make a difference there and has some potential for further development as a quarterback chaser.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Added Trae Waynes too. Hopefully get a LB as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp, these last two signings scream of “We whiffed on our main objectives it we’ve got to spend it on SOMETHING” signings. The local media and idiots fans will parrot the same. Everyone in Minnesota just spit out their beer reading Waynes’s salary. Reader is more solid but our LB core is still awful. I’m

Turn Off Ads?