Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkan Sports: Reds Sign Shogo Akiyama

Re: Nikkan Sports: Reds Sign Shogo Akiyama

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From CTrent Twitter:

#Reds see Akiyama as someone who can hit atop the order and play all three outfield spots — not solely as a CF
    So they can play six infielders?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-31-2019),CaiGuy (12-30-2019),Edd Roush (12-30-2019),OGB (12-30-2019),savafan (12-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Baseball geek in me is excited to see what jersey # Shogo wears.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-30-2019),Edd Roush (12-30-2019),marcshoe (12-30-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-30-2019)

I see Akiyama serving primarily in RF after The Reds sign Castellanos and then trade for Mookie Betts. Add that on to the inevitable Lindor acquisition and the lineup should be pretty strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

7. Likes:

Ironman92 (12-30-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-30-2019),REDREAD (12-30-2019),reds77 (12-30-2019),thatcoolguy_22 (12-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Most likely roster casualty if/when they sign him? Nick Martini in my opinion.
    Martini has an option and could be sent down. I'd say Jankowski is unlikely to make the team and likely lost when outrighted. He's the guy I'd cut loose. If not him, Sal Romano, another out of options guy with little chance to make the team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

marcshoe (12-30-2019),Mitri (12-30-2019)

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    Been a big winter for Reds. Assuming they lock up Shogo, he adds to Moose and Miley. By far the most improved team in NL Central (and a couple of the others went backward!)

11. Likes:

bagz (12-31-2019),cumberlandreds (12-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I see Akiyama serving primarily in RF after The Reds sign Castellanos and then trade for Mookie Betts. Add that on to the inevitable Lindor acquisition and the lineup should be pretty strong.
    GM of the year.

13. Likes:

The Operator (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    GM of the year.
    It’s just that easy, ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

15. Likes:

reds77 (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From CTrent Twitter:

#Reds see Akiyama as someone who can hit atop the order and play all three outfield spots — not solely as a CF
    This clarification would make it seem like they are making it clear he’s not here to replace Senzel IMO. Lots of ways they can go from here.

17. Likes:

757690 (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    But are those guys sure things?

I mean, Castellanos can't catch a cold and could fall down and wipe out Betts or another better player. (To be fair, those better players are not Cincinnati Reds' guys. All the Reds' guys suck. Until they don't.)

And Betts was really lucky two years ago and saw his WAR drop by nearly four last year. Should that happen again, he'd be nearly league average. And he's really expensive. That might make the rest of the Reds really angry and cause them to quit. Better to avoid that whole thing. Beside, Reds = cheap. Always.

19. Likes:

marcshoe (12-30-2019),The Operator (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Martini has an option and could be sent down. I'd say Jankowski is unlikely to make the team and likely lost when outrighted. He's the guy I'd cut loose. If not him, Sal Romano, another out of options guy with little chance to make the team.
    I’m sticking with Jankowski as explained in other threads.

21. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This clarification would make it seem like they are making it clear he’s not here to replace Senzel IMO. Lots of ways they can go from here.
    It's a possibility, but I wouldn't read too much into it. They aren't going to come out and say "now we're planning to trade an outfielder".

23. Likes:

REDREAD (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Baseball geek in me is excited to see what jersey # Shogo wears.
    Shogo wears the uniform number 55 in Japan. That's been Robert Stephenson's number for a couple of years now. Will be interesting to see if Stephenson hands it over or whether Shogo dons a new number.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    But are those guys sure things?

I mean, Castellanos can't catch a cold and could fall down and wipe out Betts or another better player. (To be fair, those better players are not Cincinnati Reds' guys. All the Reds' guys suck. Until they don't.)

And Betts was really lucky two years ago and saw his WAR drop by nearly four last year. Should that happen again, he'd be nearly league average. And he's really expensive. That might make the rest of the Reds really angry and cause them to quit. Better to avoid that whole thing. Beside, Reds = cheap. Always.
    You lost me at the possibility of a 2 WAR Mookie Betts season. (Given health)

26. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You lost me at the possibility of a 2 WAR Mookie Betts season. (Given health)
    Don't take it literally. It's a passive aggressive shot at those who preferred the Reds get one of the MLB free agents rather than Shogo

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I see the very opposite. Vague statement on where he’ll play—won’t commit him to a position.

29. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?