Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkan Sports: Reds Sign Shogo Akiyama

Re: Nikkan Sports: Reds Sign Shogo Akiyama

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I tend to think a Senzel trade is the next move too. I imagine publicly they'll say they see Shogo in a corner spot with Winker/Aquino platoon in the other but given what we've heard about their aims it seems entirely likely that Senzel is traded for a bigger piece.
    Since Cleveland wanted Senzel so bad, maybe...nah!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

NM
    Last edited by Redsville; 12-30-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    Could you see us getting Seager and Clevinger, while Dodgers get Lindor and our Castillo? We give up one year of control in the pitchers, we probably have to give up either Winker or Senzel plus the normal prospects not named Lodolo....
    Dodgers would love that one. I'd really have to think about moving Castillo for Lindor and Clevinger (no Dodgers involved). Castillo is just so valuable but that might be enough.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

So the top of the order looks like Shogo Arigato, Mr. J-Votto.

Shogo. Shogo.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

6. Likes:

1thru5 (12-30-2019),757690 (12-30-2019),JFLegal (12-30-2019),powersackers (12-31-2019),Spanky (12-31-2019)

Shogo
    Votto
    Suarez
    Moustakas
    Senzel
    Winker
    Chirinos
    Galvis
    Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Shogo
    Votto
    Suarez
    Moustakas
    Senzel
    Winker
    Chirinos
    Galvis
    Castillo
    nope. (lol, you might be right, but i would doubt it. reds are not done making moves imo. they will add a shortstop imo.)

Senzel has played 3rd and 2nd...is there any chance they try to convert the poor kid into a SS, at least part time?

Quote Originally Posted by stein1214 View Post
    Senzel has played 3rd and 2nd...is there any chance they try to convert the poor kid into a SS, at least part time?
    I was wondering if he played any SS in college. I couldn't find out his college stats breakdown by position. Anyone know?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stein1214 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I was wondering if he played any SS in college. I couldn't find out his college stats breakdown by position. Anyone know?
    No. They experimented a couple years ago and quickly ended it. Not happening.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Apparently not. I found a University of Tennessee at Knoxville site that shows he primarily played 3B in college, along with 45 starts as designated hitter and eight at second base. In the Reds minor league system, he did play SS, but only one game for 8 innings. So, it's conceivable he could move into the infield and play either 3B or 2B, but those pushing Senzel at SS are way out in left field! Which, of course, is probably another position he could play!

13. Likes:

757690 (12-30-2019),redsmetz (12-31-2019)

Senzel did play SS in college his sophomore season. I don’t think that is in the cards anymore though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

As MLB trends further and further to three true outcomes, will we eventually see some teams take chances on a guy at SS who may not have made sense in the recent past?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-31-2019),North (12-30-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I hope people see the point here. Sea Ray (appropriately) wants Aquino to get PAs. Winker plays against all RHP. Senzel plays most every day. Reds just paid Shogo like a starter or near starter. Others want Ervin to play against all LHP.

Something has to give, folks.

Fifth OFer is not someone who gets regular usage, it’ll be a four man rotation.
    Which is why Jankowski is the 5th guy and Senzel will be playing in a dizzying way elsewhere.

Though he was played out of position in CF, I was a big fan of Shin Soo Choo when he joined the team in '13- his metrics were such a great complement to our offense at the time.

Looking at Shogo's numbers, it's not hard to imagine a similar impact offensively, though with better skills for manning CF, assuming that's his primary spot.

Even with the uncertainty around Senzel this signing is very exciting.

As for Nick, would love to watch him as a Red for the next several years but I don't see a path to getting a certifiable upgrade at SS without moving him.
    Last edited by 1thru5; 12-30-2019 at 11:35 PM.

The Reds have added Moose, Miley, and Shogo without having to trade anyone. It makes the organization stronger. And the projected payroll today appears to be approximately the same as on OD last season.

There does seem to be a trade out there. Reds have lots of outfielders with value and all their top prospects. They could trade from this depth to fill a hole or two. The positions are obvious, I’d guess they are working on this.

Finally, seems to me that the talk about Ozuna and Castellanos can subside. I can’t see Reds adding a $80-100 million contract for still another OFer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-30-2019 at 11:55 PM.

20. Likes:

redsmetz (12-31-2019)

Turn Off Ads?